Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Streaming in G37 with no navi

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Streaming in G37 with no navi

So after hours of researching, I realize that it is really hard (maybe impossible) with streaming music with non-iphone products nor bluetooth.

At first, I was like "Well, since the bluetooth doesnt work on g w/ no navi, I guess Ill just use AUX."

Then, I was like 'I will just get bluetooth streaming device. why not'

But then I realize my car doesn't have AUX..

So I tried to plug my android into USB; doesn't work, however my friend plugged in his iphone it works perfect :/

I went to dealership and asked few questions.
1) I like to install AUX on my car -> No; your car is not capable to install AUX. It has USB and bluetooth you can stream that way

What? he was telling me that I could connect my phone to the system and stream the music there.. which was a bull****.. obviously this guy doesn't know about g37.

So I only have two choices if I want to stream in my car.
1) get a iphone 6
2) get FM transmitter that connects with power outlet (I'm guessing I won't be able to use the hand-free bluetooth phone option in my car if I use this option??)

Do you guys have any other option or any other way to stream your music?
Thanks!

DOMO
Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can't use your android through the USB port??? That's kind of weird
Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Twista
You can't use your android through the USB port??? That's kind of weird
no.. it keeps trying to connect but it doesn't.. can yours?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Twista

I have a iphone lol
Old 10-28-2014, 08:35 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Twista
I have a iphone lol
Iphone 6? or 5?

I heard new iphone 6 doesn't work.. or with updated IOS..

is it true?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Twista

Iphone 5 the new iOS 8.1 seemed to fix the problem with the connecting to the radio.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 AM
GS_G37S
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just get an iPod or similar device that you can connect through the USB port?

I know it doesn't solve the streaming issue, but if you have a library of music you can listen to it this way. This would still allow you to use your phone through bluetooth.

Seems like a cheaper option than dropping $ on an iPhone.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2014, 12:17 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GS_G37S
Why not just get an iPod or similar device that you can connect through the USB port?

I know it doesn't solve the streaming issue, but if you have a library of music you can listen to it this way. This would still allow you to use your phone through bluetooth.

Seems like a cheaper option than dropping $ on an iPhone.
I just want to stream my internet radio (pandora/Spotify) rather than downloading songs and put them in mp3/ipod. Also, I use youtube alot to search the songs I want to hear instantly.. I'm really not a mp3 guy.. Don't even have time to do all that downloading and stuff..

Plus, I thought just regular USB flash drive would work to play songs in the drive? does it have to be ipod?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
I installed a Grom Box in my non-nav g37 about 2 months ago and it works well. It has a few glitches every now and then but works as advertised none the less. Easy install if you have even the slightest mechanical ability. See the diy below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-grom-box.html
Old 10-29-2014, 12:41 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

If you go this route I would recommend getting the aux / ipod 2-in-1 cable aswell to expand your peripheral options.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
How does the iPhone stream? Is it really streaming, or are you simply able to tap into the MP3s stored on the device? There's a difference between streaming an MP3 that's playing on the iPhone, versus simply accessing the MP3 itself and playing it.

Are you saying that your firend's iPhone was able to stream Pandora (for example) through the USB port? That's the test I'd stick to movnign forward.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:47 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
How does the iPhone stream? Is it really streaming, or are you simply able to tap into the MP3s stored on the device? There's a difference between streaming an MP3 that's playing on the iPhone, versus simply accessing the MP3 itself and playing it.

Are you saying that your firend's iPhone was able to stream Pandora (for example) through the USB port? That's the test I'd stick to movnign forward.
It is streaming. My friend who has iphone 4s plugged into the USB port and he could stream musics from youtube/musics from the library/pandora etc. However, I have HTC ONE android which doesn't work like iphone.

Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
If you go this route I would recommend getting the aux / ipod 2-in-1 cable aswell to expand your peripheral options.
From my research, the aux/ipod 2-in-1 cable doesn't work with my car since the car itself doesn't have AUX output. There is this cable that connects USB to AUX(to my phone) but this doesn't work either since the car doesn't recognize/read the aux output from the USB.

Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
I installed a Grom Box in my non-nav g37 about 2 months ago and it works well. It has a few glitches every now and then but works as advertised none the less. Easy install if you have even the slightest mechanical ability. See the diy below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-grom-box.html
I have a horrible experience with DIY especially in electronics. I rather pay more to get it done..
Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Str8 Jacket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just buy an old iphone or ipod on ebay or craigslist. An old nano or classic would work fine. Plus it would be cheaper than any adapters to make something else work. Work smarter not harder.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
Just buy an old iphone or ipod on ebay or craigslist. An old nano or classic would work fine. Plus it would be cheaper than any adapters to make something else work. Work smarter not harder.
yes; i think that is only way however I won't buy ipod/nano cuz it won't have any internet connection to stream music
The following users liked this post:
FXG37S (10-31-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
It is streaming. My friend who has iphone 4s plugged into the USB port and he could stream musics from youtube/musics from the library/pandora etc. However, I have HTC ONE android which doesn't work like iphone.

From my research, the aux/ipod 2-in-1 cable doesn't work with my car since the car itself doesn't have AUX output. There is this cable that connects USB to AUX(to my phone) but this doesn't work either since the car doesn't recognize/read the aux output from the USB.

I have a horrible experience with DIY especially in electronics. I rather pay more to get it done..

The Grom box is a bluetooth adapter that takes over your XM Radio connection and plays over what would be the XM Radio source. The two way cord I was referring to comes from the grom box itself so you would be able to play music from an ipod or any other media playet via cord or bluetooth connection. You were looking for a way to stream music, this is it, short of buying an ipod or itouch and paying for a new data connection on top of that. $140 and 2 hours of your time and you will have what you were looking for.

Nissan Infiniti 02-11 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapter Kit - SAT Emulation

Quick Reply: Streaming in G37 with no navi