Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:58 PM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs

Hey all,

I am a little new to the G family. I have been silently modding and posting on Facebook but not here so much. Here is the current state of my 2011 G37x Sedan.

Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs-p1erxii.jpg

Recently I had swift springs installed as well as hotchkis sway bars - love em!

Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs-yks0ytg.jpg
Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs-ompnft5.jpg
Long story short I DJ in Boston a lot and we have potholes and slopes galore in the parking garages I have to maneuver in - Right now my car is sitting on some G35 18" coupe rims 245/45/18 all around. I have converted them to being my winter wheels and dipped them black for the time being.

Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs-vb567jn.jpg

Come spring I'll be getting some 19's or 20's havent decided yet but leaning towards 19's. I am planning on sticking to a square setup - I'd like to keep 245 width - can I possible fit 245/45/19 on swift springs? I know it's not a lot of extra clearance but every but helps as I scraped my stillen exhaust pretty bad on a moderate slope.

Hoping the fitment pro's can chime in. I have my eyes on some Stance SC5's Black with the chrome lip! I also have the sport bumper being painted soon and doing the swap in the spring after nasty winter.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Increasing the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination that much can throw off all of your sensors, affecting the speedometer, AWD system, traction control, etc. If you want a little extra rubber while staying within 1% of OEM wheel/tire diameter, I recommend 255/40R19.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:19 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
You'll have no issues I run 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 in the rear, Swifts also and in Boston, Ride is good the 20's can be harsh sometime but overall is great
Attached Thumbnails Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs-side2-shot-swift.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
djdiskino (10-26-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
You'll have no issues I run 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 in the rear, Swifts also and in Boston, Ride is good the 20's can be harsh sometime but overall is great
OP: Don't take this to the bank just yet... as it is not true for what you have asked.

Your original tire is 245/45R18 and the tire you want to run, a 245/45R19 is 3.61% LARGER. This will throw off all of your sensors as I said above, with zero doubt in my mind, or anyone familiar with the matter.

ANMVQ stated he runs a 245/35R20 which is 0.26% larger than the tire you are currently running. His rear tires 275/30R20 are 0.7% smaller than the tires you are currently running. Both of these sizes are OK because they are within 1% of OEM. This is why he doesn't have any issues - he is running normal sized tires.

Summary: Still, don't run a 245/45R19. A 255/40R19 is only 0.64% larger than the OEM size for your car, which is 225/50R18.
GAWD (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
I can't follow the math, but I can spontaneously comment on how nice those G35 Sport Coupe rims look on your car. If it were me with a moonlight white sedan and those rims, I'd rub that plastidip right off and either go back to the original finish or have them powdercoated, then put the money saved into a set of coilovers.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:05 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I can't follow the math, but I can spontaneously comment on how nice those G35 Sport Coupe rims look on your car. If it were me with a moonlight white sedan and those rims, I'd rub that plastidip right off and either go back to the original finish or have them powdercoated, then put the money saved into a set of coilovers.
I was thinking the same thing, those are nice looking wheels.

FWIW - I'm running 245/40/ZR19s all around on my X with no issues. Also dropped on Swifts with Hotchkis sways
djdiskino (10-26-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 08:17 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I was thinking the same thing, those are nice looking wheels. FWIW - I'm running 245/40/ZR19s all around on my X with no issues. Also dropped on Swifts with Hotchkis sways
I can attest to this also. I have the staggered 19x8.5/19x9 G37 sport coupe wheels with a 245/40/19 on all 4 wheels. Plus Swift Springs and sport sways added to the combo with zero issues.

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 PM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah those wheels are surprisingly nice for oem takeoffs!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:34 PM
dtea54

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
So u had the sway bars installed without upgrading your endlinks ? How is that holding up so far?
Old 10-25-2014, 05:27 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Can't speak for the OP but I have. They seem okay but I'm going to swap them out in a couple weeks anyway while coils are going on.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I can spontaneously comment on how nice those G35 Sport Coupe rims look on your car. If it were me with a moonlight white sedan and those rims, I'd rub that plastidip right off
Agreed on both points

Was close to going with these myself. Nicer design & better fitment than sport sedan 18s IMO
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 AM
djdiskino

Originally Posted by dtea54
So u had the sway bars installed without upgrading your endlinks ? How is that holding up so far?
Holding up good so far - I imagine they'll need to be replaced down the road but I'll approach that when I notice the slightest bit of noise. For now it's A-OK!

Your original tire is 245/45R18 and the tire you want to run, a 245/45R19 is 3.61% LARGER. This will throw off all of your sensors as I said above, with zero doubt in my mind, or anyone familiar with the matter.
Thanks for the info. I plan on keeping a square setup - no staggered setup for me. I think I'll stick with the accepted 245/40/19 as most squared 19 setups are running. Was just looking for that little tiny bit extra ground clearance by keeping the same sidewall but increasing rim size.

yeah those wheels are surprisingly nice for oem takeoffs!
Thanks guys - I love the wheels and only dipped them for the winter. I actually had refinished them by hand and restored them with Wurth Silver paint - it was my first attempt at restoring wheels but some friend of mine put wheel acid on them when cleaning them not knowing and it ate through the paint in spots. Long story short you guys have convinced me to get these sandblasted and powdercoated come spring.

Now the decision is what offsets I should run for a nice flush fitment on Swift Springs and stock struts. I don't want to roll fenders or have rubbing issues.

I want a Square 245/40/19 all around on Stance SC5's with the black lip. and... wheel fitment gods GO! lol

Also wanted to say the MyG37 Community is a really cool forum to be part of. Reminds me of the My6thGen family - all good people and super helpful! Hope to contribute/add some custom mods/ideas to the forums soon!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by djdiskino
Holding up good so far - I imagine they'll need to be replaced down the road but I'll approach that when I notice the slightest bit of noise. For now it's A-OK!

Thanks for the info. I plan on keeping a square setup - no staggered setup for me. I think I'll stick with the accepted 245/40/19 as most squared 19 setups are running. Was just looking for that little tiny bit extra ground clearance by keeping the same sidewall but increasing rim size.

Thanks guys - I love the wheels and only dipped them for the winter. I actually had refinished them by hand and restored them with Wurth Silver paint - it was my first attempt at restoring wheels but some friend of mine put wheel acid on them when cleaning them not knowing and it ate through the paint in spots. Long story short you guys have convinced me to get these sandblasted and powdercoated come spring.

Now the decision is what offsets I should run for a nice flush fitment on Swift Springs and stock struts. I don't want to roll fenders or have rubbing issues.

I want a Square 245/40/19 all around on Stance SC5's with the black lip. and... wheel fitment gods GO! lol

Also wanted to say the MyG37 Community is a really cool forum to be part of. Reminds me of the My6thGen family - all good people and super helpful! Hope to contribute/add some custom mods/ideas to the forums soon!
Not sure of the sizes available but if you want to run those tires I'd go anywhere from an 8.5 to 9" width and an 8.5 +30 or a 9" +35 for a pretty flush fit.
djdiskino (10-27-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

You can run 255/40R19 tires for a little extra sidewall. The sidewall height is determined by multiplying the aspect ratio, as a percentage, with the tires width.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Proposed Tire Size:

40% of 255mm = 102mm of sidewall (255/40R19)

Your Planned Tire Size:

40% of 245mm = 98mm of sidewall (245/40R19)

Your Current Tire Size:

45% of 245mm = 110.25mm of sidewall (245/45R18)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 255/40R19 is a perfectly acceptable tire size and would work well with a 9" square setup.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:25 PM
djdiskino

Originally Posted by Ryne
You can run 255/40R19 tires for a little extra sidewall. The sidewall height is determined by multiplying the aspect ratio, as a percentage, with the tires width.

My Proposed Tire Size:

40% of 255mm = 102mm of sidewall (255/40R19)

Your Planned Tire Size:

40% of 245mm = 98mm of sidewall (245/40R19)

Your Current Tire Size:

45% of 245mm = 110.25mm of sidewall (245/45R18)

A 255/40R19 is a perfectly acceptable tire size and would work well with a 9" square setup.
Wow, thanks for the info. I had it all wrong until I just looked it up. I always thought the 2nd number was the sidewall height which was throwing me off why everyone was saying 245/45/19 was too much.

Now I realized it really is a ratio of the actual width so a ratio of a wider tire = more sidewall.

Here's where I confirmed the info.

"Aspect Ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be."

Learn something new every day - Source: How to Read Tire Sizes | Goodyear Auto Service Center

Quick Reply: Looking for some more ground clearance on swift springs