G37 Sedan

2010 Infiniti G37xS Excessive Power Steering Fluid Leak from the Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM
tsiripong2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2010 Infiniti G37xS Excessive Power Steering Fluid Leak from the Steering Rack

Last week my wife was driving our 2010 G37xS to work... all of the sudden she lost her power steering which almost cause an accident... I went out to my wife work to swap out the car and find out that the fluid in the PS reservoir almost gone... It took a whole PS fluid bottle to fill it back up... The leak was pretty excessive (On the passenger side. Drip constantly)

Long story short, Infiniti Dealer told us that we need a new steering rack to fix the issue... My in service date was 7/31/2010 and the car currently has 57000 miles on it...

I contacted Infiniti consumer affair for an assistance because this is not acceptable... How can the steering rack failed at 57000 miles??? All that Infiniti offered to me was the labor portion and I will have to cover part... which is about $1500 after tax ... I'm so frustrated and disappointed that the High-End car like Infiniti required such an expensive repair at such a low mileage and Infiniti did very little possible to assist with this. especially that my car still less than 60000 miles mark and I'm only about 2 months pass 4 years mark...(7/31/2010 in-service date).. I started to wonder what else after this... Anybody experience with the steering rack issue???????

I have an 11 year old honda with almost 200000 miles on it that has no leak what so ever... All it required was just regular schedule maintenance.

P.S. I always service my car at Infiniti dealer...
Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had such a thing happen on an older 2008 Benz ML320 CDI that was in the family. That car had about 95000km when the steering leak developed. My solution was to sell that car ASAP.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Sorry to hear about your steering rack problem. But the G37 has not been known to have habitual steering rack problems and infiniti has been churning them for years now. I don't know what happened to your particular G, but the fact that it exceeded the time coverage for the warranty, means Infiniti actually stepped up to cover the labor portion of your car (which they weren't required to). So, it's disappointing, but I simply don't see the outrage in this scenario.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
canucklehead (10-15-2014), skeener (11-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry to hear about your steering rack problem. But the G37 has not been known to have habitual steering rack problems and infiniti has been churning them for years now. I don't know what happened to your particular G, but the fact that it exceeded the time coverage for the warranty, means Infiniti actually stepped up to cover the labor portion of your car (which they weren't required to). So, it's disappointing, but I simply don't see the outrage in this scenario.
Agreed with this. Sucks, but fecal matter happens with car repairs some times. If you want to totally avoid costly repairs, lease a new car every 3 years
Old 10-19-2014, 07:34 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I would check with a smaller independent shop. We had the same with our RDX (although at more like 80,000 miles). Ours was just like one drop every few days on the garage floor. Dealer said $2K new rack. Independent said $300 seal up the pump. We are at 90,000 and almost a year later with no issues. (Well, no issues related to the steering pump.)
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My rack was leaking too (on my G35), but I purchased the extended warranty so it was covered. Replaced by the dealer a few months shy of 6 yrs.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 PM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had my rack replaced before the warranty expired. Dealership performed a TSB repair as they had done several G37s. I didn't bring it to their attention. They found several things and took care of them before my warranty expired. Glad they did because I'd be pissed having to pay for expensive repairs.

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2014, 10:44 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unacceptable from an Infiniti (especially at 57K miles!) issue. Now I'm worried...maybe this is related to my issue I posted in the "Engine, Drivetrain, & Forced Induction" section...Did you notice this same issue?

"I'm not sure where to put this question...But I really hope someone can help me with this "possible" issue. I own a '10 G37xS with ~46K miles on her. No mods other than B2AutoDesign 20mm wheel spacers all around and G37Sport RSB. This has happened maybe 3-5 times. When I back up/Reverse, usually out of a parking space, then put it in Drive and try to turn my steering wheel (not sure if it's direction dependent, it's "only" happened several times and I've backed out Xnth amount of times) it won't turn for a few seconds. Like the steering wheel has locked. It kinda feels like something (transfer case?) locks up the steering for a bit between going from Reverse into Drive. Is this normal????? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Oh I do admit I put the car into Drive before FULLY coming to a stop while rolling in reverse (I'm sure many people do this too). But I do this almost all the time...and the steering thing doesn't happened all the time. Nor am I rolling very fast...Basically the rolling part is in Neutral while my foot is still on the brake. So I'm not jerking the shifter from Reverse to Drive and stepping on the gas."
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 PM
tsiripong2000

Originally Posted by dkmura
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Agreed with this. Sucks, but fecal matter happens with car repairs some times. If you want to totally avoid costly repairs, lease a new car every 3 years

My point is that... it is dissapointed that the car in this caliber that supposed to be "premium brand" has a power steering rack failed at such a low miles (57K and only 2 months passed time coverage on the warranty)... plus my vehicle has been serviced at Infiniti dealer since it was new... This type of failure should not happen and it was also a safety issue... The whole fluid in the reservoir drained with on 20 miles drive... My wife was driving the car when it happened... she lost power steering while merge into highway...

Like I said... disappointed in both Infiniti and the situation....... If the car has over 100k, I would not complaint...

My Lexus got water leaked into one of the headlight and Lexus took care of it... My Lexus was also about a month-ish passed time coverage on warranty...
Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 PM
tsiripong2000

Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
Sorry to hear about your unacceptable from an Infiniti (especially at 57K miles!) issue. Now I'm worried...maybe this is related to my issue I posted in the "Engine, Drivetrain, & Forced Induction" section...Did you notice this same issue?

"I'm not sure where to put this question...But I really hope someone can help me with this "possible" issue. I own a '10 G37xS with ~46K miles on her. No mods other than B2AutoDesign 20mm wheel spacers all around and G37Sport RSB. This has happened maybe 3-5 times. When I back up/Reverse, usually out of a parking space, then put it in Drive and try to turn my steering wheel (not sure if it's direction dependent, it's "only" happened several times and I've backed out Xnth amount of times) it won't turn for a few seconds. Like the steering wheel has locked. It kinda feels like something (transfer case?) locks up the steering for a bit between going from Reverse into Drive. Is this normal????? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Oh I do admit I put the car into Drive before FULLY coming to a stop while rolling in reverse (I'm sure many people do this too). But I do this almost all the time...and the steering thing doesn't happened all the time. Nor am I rolling very fast...Basically the rolling part is in Neutral while my foot is still on the brake. So I'm not jerking the shifter from Reverse to Drive and stepping on the gas."

I would get it check out... I don't think that mine do that...
Old 11-14-2014, 12:36 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tsiripong2000
My point is that... it is dissapointed that the car in this caliber that supposed to be "premium brand" has a power steering rack failed at such a low miles (57K and only 2 months passed time coverage on the warranty)... plus my vehicle has been serviced at Infiniti dealer since it was new... This type of failure should not happen and it was also a safety issue... The whole fluid in the reservoir drained with on 20 miles drive... My wife was driving the car when it happened... she lost power steering while merge into highway...

Like I said... disappointed in both Infiniti and the situation....... If the car has over 100k, I would not complaint...

My Lexus got water leaked into one of the headlight and Lexus took care of it... My Lexus was also about a month-ish passed time coverage on warranty...
Disappointed, surprised, angry, yes. Incredulous - get real.