Alutec strut tower install

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 AM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Alutec strut tower install

I purchased a strut tower bar from twin_snails. Dog gone thing looked NEW! Thanks Matt. After reading Matt's review on it, I found 15 minutes I had available to do the install. It was so easy. The hardest part was locating the correct size tool. 12 mm btw. I made a test fit before taking anything apart. It looked good; I then loosened the nuts on both sides before taking them off; wiggled the bar around 2 wiring harnesses and re installed the nuts.

Now the good part. I went for a test drive. You guys that don't notice much of a difference must have modified suspensions on your cars before having installed the strut bar.

Pulling out of my driveway I could tell the car was "tighter". When turning the wheel going around a corner at 15 mph, I could feel the car working as a unit more than before. There was instant response compared to before. There was no disconnected feel. The ride was a tad more harsh since everything was working together.

I own a 2009 g37 journey sedan. My suspension consists of stock springs, KYB struts and shocks (made in japan), eibach sways and hardware f & r with new stock end links (not oem) , 17" wheels with V rated no name stock sized rubber. I am able to drive beyond the tires without any trouble now and am realizing that I need better shoes. I am an aggressive driver and want to be safe while doing so. Long story short, the strut tower is worth doing...

Next project is the new diff with 3.692 and VLSD. Waiting on the last piece and that's another drive shaft so that I can get it on the car and drive the same day... I'm excited as all heck. Once this is done nitrous is on the list. getting juiced to juice the car. My goal is a sleeper. I want a nice plain jane looking car that will blow past or keep up with cars costing ten's of thousands more...

Last edited by dgey1; 10-02-2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: correcting person that I purchased product from
Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I like the design of the Alutek since it's one solid piece and seems to be well constructed. Only concern I had w/ it was the access to the strut mount. My coilovers have the damper adjustment coming through the top, this is right under the Bar mount and I'm not sure I'd be able to adjust them without having to remove the bar. Do you have any pics of that area of the bar for reference?
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 AM
dgey1

blnewt, here is a link to a video of the strut bar I installed. Hope this helps.

Doug

Last edited by dgey1; 10-02-2014 at 01:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 AM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thinking of getting one, but here they say it's for the coupe only: Alutec ALT-IG102 h IG102 Aluminum Strut Tower Bar Infiniti G37 Coupe

which part number would i use on a G37 sedan ??
Old 10-02-2014, 11:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by vactor
thinking of getting one, but here they say it's for the coupe only: Alutec ALT-IG102 h IG102 Aluminum Strut Tower Bar Infiniti G37 Coupe

which part number would i use on a G37 sedan ??
All strut braces for the G37 will work on coupe and sedan models.

Thanks for the clip Doug, looks like it would be tough to get in there but maybe w/ just the right tool.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I've got this nice looking aftermarket oil cap on the car, but sometimes I simply can't get the leverage needed to unscrew it, so I have to take the engine cover off first. In order to take the engine cover off, I have to remove my GT-Spec FSTB. And if I had a one-piece like this Alutec, then I'd be unbolting the strut tower at every oil-change.

While that's not a concern for everyone, just putting that out there for consideration.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:26 PM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Now the good part. I went for a test drive. You guys that don't notice much of a difference must have modified suspensions on your cars before having installed the strut bar.
I'm sure if you have a S you notice it way less. I didn't feel a thing. But looks nice.
Also notice the drivers side fitment. It's VERY close to the AC valve. I loosened the nuts & pushed the bar as far as it would go towards the drivers side to give a bit more clearance there.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by JT2014
I'm sure if you have a S you notice it way less. I didn't feel a thing.
It depends on what you're looking for. If you launch the car hard from a standing start into a turn, there will be far less fight involved. It's very noticeable. Also noticeable are quick, relatively low-speed turns, like when auto-crossing the car.

Other than that, changes in handling because of the FSTB are subtle at best. Most people won't know or care.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Solidus
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
dgey1,

Good luck on your diff swap. I finally took apart the 08' 5AT driveshaft yesterday. I measured the driveshaft before I took it apart and then again after connecting it to the 08' MT rear half and it was the same dimension. I'm on to install on Oct 17th so you better get to it. ( I have the Tuner version of Uprev so I'll be able to immediately turn off the speed sensor code as soon as it pops up. ) Looks like we're both building sleepers.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Based on that video, how well does this strut brace fit with solid upper tubes of the cold air kits? I think I saw in your video that your running the rubber upper couplers but the lower solid tube parts.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 PM
dgey1

paratrooper, I'm not sure about clearance with solid tubes but there's no lack of space. I've seen others with different brand strut tower braces on with CAI. no reports regarding rubbing or anything else...

Solidus, yea... am anxious to get the diff in. Car is running so solid and hard right now that I'm hyped about the increase in torque and low end speeds. I'm scheduled to work on it again in the next couple of weeks so I may just get done right before you do... make sure the yoke is good to go on your DS that mates with the tranny. 5 spd and 7 spd yokes may not be the same... good luck...

JT, I did the same. tugging on that bad boy while tightening it wasn't easy...

Rochester, I think you're right. The people that don't notice or care put the strut on for looks, not function.

I've been hot rodding since I was 16. I can't get it out of my blood. I'm in my mid 50's now and people still ask what the hell I'm doing to my car. It's already nice and runs good... side note, I've never owned a car I didn't mod... that equates to a dozen or so cars to date...

Last edited by dgey1; 10-02-2014 at 07:27 PM.