Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My week commuting in a loaded Q50

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Butternut

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My week commuting in a loaded Q50

So the dealer had my '10 Anniversary xS for a WEEK to fix a bent lower control arm and 2 bent wheels (thank you DC potholes - DC is such a dysfunctional ****hole). And they put me in a '14 Q50 with technology package as a loaner. LOL!

While the techno-gadgets in the Q are amazing, the most fundamental difference between the Q and G, IMO, is hands down the steering. It is both beautiful and terrifying, depending upon how you approach it and your driving style. When negotiating turns at low speed, like in a parking garage for example, the drive by wire steering is an amazing enhancement. And likewise, when cruising along on straight highway, the Q steering makes it stupid easy, and the car almost steers itself and easily remains true to a line.

But if you try to make a snap correction at highway speed, or accelerate deep into a turn, like I can easily do in my xS, the steering in the Q can become absolutely terrifying - I often felt like I was just along for the ride, but didn't really have full control, much like when you're on a horse you don't really know. I had some very unsettling experiences when trying to push the Q at speed that made me feel more sick on the stomach than exhilarated.

The things I do love on the Q, that we should have on the G, are the ability to check real time tire pressure on the dash, the turn signals on the side mirrors, and the LED front turn signals. Also, IMO the AWD system appears to be more constantly engaged in the Q, as I could more easily make the front tires chirp in parking garage turns as compared to my G.

The things I did not like are, first and foremost the steering, the Q stereo/CD player, even when tweaked, did not sound as nice as mine, and the intermittent wipers seemed to have a mind of their own. Also, I really missed the sport seats in my xS.

In general, I felt more like a passenger in the Q when driving. And I feel like my xS is more like a car you "wear"

If I were given a Q, I'd probably keep it, but in a head-to-head driving comparison, for something I'll spend my hard earned money on for engaged driving excitement, I much prefer my G.
The following 2 users liked this post by Butternut:
flipmode007 (09-27-2014), Redfire32 (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I had a Q loaner for a day and share most of your opinions. I enjoyed some of the extra tech toys, but the driving experience was weaker. My Q wasn't a S so that didn't help but the car just felt like it was built for the masses while my G was built more for me.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Most everything you said in your comparison I agree with, and matched up with my Q50S test drive last year. It was much less of a driver's car, compared to a lightly modified 6MT Sedan. However, if steering is a significant component in your assessment between these two cars, then it's a good thing you didn't drive a RWD G37S before buying that AWD Sedan, because you probably wouldn't have purchased a xS.

Real-time tire pressure independently identified to each of the four wheels... man, I wish I had that, too.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Butternut

Got my beloved xS back today - what difference! I really love everything about my G.

I forgot to detail that the Q steering also had this bizarre artificially created 'on center' feel, with speed variable turning resistance, that sounds really nice but was executed really poorly, which greatly contributed to the unconnected sensation when doing any type of switchback maneuvering. Honestly, I'm surprised we're not hearing about more accidents from Q drivers losing control in emergency avoidance situations.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Did the loaner have the around-view monitor? You may or may not have had the DAS in that loaner...my guess is that it is fairly rare in a non-hybrid (I believe all hybrids have the Direct Adaptive Steering).

Doesn't change your review...and it just makes Infiniti's decision to put the G37's steering into the Q all the better...
Old 09-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Butternut

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Did the loaner have the around-view monitor? You may or may not have had the DAS in that loaner...my guess is that it is fairly rare in a non-hybrid (I believe all hybrids have the Direct Adaptive Steering).

Doesn't change your review...and it just makes Infiniti's decision to put the G37's steering into the Q all the better...

I just looked at the Q50 options on the site, and yes, it was an AWD premium, with technology, navigation, and deluxe touring packages - it appears the deluxe touring package added DAS.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:25 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Butternut

and the intermittent wipers seemed to have a mind of their own.
That's because you had the automatic rain sensing wipers.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I had the pleasure of driving a loaded Q50 on PPS tires and OMG it was amazing. Infinitis DAS is good but with the run flats, it leaves alot to be desired. I think even the Goodyear RSAs would be an improvement. Wish they would just listen to the public.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Butternut

Originally Posted by '11G37S
That's because you had the automatic rain sensing wipers.
Yea, I meant that it worked very poorly for a rain sensor system - it would go nuts on super high speed randomly, sometimes when I was stopped and there was little rain falling. At least on the example I was driving, the system left much to be desired.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Butternut

Yea, I meant that it worked very poorly for a rain sensor system - it would go nuts on super high speed randomly, sometimes when I was stopped and there was little rain falling. At least on the example I was driving, the system left much to be desired.
I gotcha. My G did that and I had the dealer replace the sensor under warranty, it still does it. I like the feature but it seems like it'll randomly go full speed for no reason. I usually turn it off then back on and 90% of the time it solves the issue.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Q50 in terms of quality is a different level compared to the G. It's a very solid ride and the imperfections of the road are beautifully muffled and dampened. I am very picky and sensitive when it comes to noise and the Q has NO rattles at all. I mean literally zero groan, squeak, thump, etc even when I go through the biggest and nastiest potholes I can find (on purpose). Ride quality is very good and handles nicely with not too much body roll. The stereo is SOOOO much better than the G. It is a day and night difference with the Bose system. The bass is very strong and clarity is so much better.

While it does have far more gadgets and apps but they are poorly interfaced. I found A LOT of info redundancy and button controls are confusing. Glossy touchscreen shows all the greasy fingerprints. I would NEVER purchase the Q50 without the navigation because otherwise it would just show a stupid Microsoft desktop cheap clock in the ENTIRE upper screen. That is very USELESS and CHEAP!!! Also MPG is very poor compared to its competitors.

Bottomline the Q is definitely a more refined when compared to the G and it's definitely a car I would consider stepping up to.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:19 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
Q50 in terms of quality is a different level compared to the G. It's a very solid ride and the imperfections of the road are beautifully muffled and dampened. I am very picky and sensitive when it comes to noise and the Q has NO rattles at all. I mean literally zero groan, squeak, thump, etc even when I go through the biggest and nastiest potholes I can find (on purpose). Ride quality is very good and handles nicely with not too much body roll. The stereo is SOOOO much better than the G. It is a day and night difference with the Bose system. The bass is very strong and clarity is so much better.

While it does have far more gadgets and apps but they are poorly interfaced. I found A LOT of info redundancy and button controls are confusing. Glossy touchscreen shows all the greasy fingerprints. I would NEVER purchase the Q50 without the navigation because otherwise it would just show a stupid Microsoft desktop cheap clock in the ENTIRE upper screen. That is very USELESS and CHEAP!!! Also MPG is very poor compared to its competitors.

Bottomline the Q is definitely a more refined when compared to the G and it's definitely a car I would consider stepping up to.
And that's why many of us enthusiasts hate it.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:06 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse

I'll agree with you that the sound system is better on the Q than on the G, but the driving experience between the two is very different. I feel like I'm much more in control in the G and the steering in the Q felt sluggish and more like a Toyota. I felt less connected to the road than my G. The Q's steering just felt...less responsive. It was steps behind the G and not nearly as good as a BMW. At least the G felt comparable to a BMW's steering.

Saying a brand new car has no rattles is unfair. My 2007 G35x sedan has absolutely no rattles since I bought it in 2009. Rattles will come up as the car ages, that's just the nature of any car. Seals are old, gaskets become cracked and dry, etc.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Butternut

To reiterate for the record, the stereo in my Anniversary G, compared against the stereo in the Q - and both adjusted to the same settings - sounder MUCH better. The Q only had 7K miles, so I suppose someone could have already blown a speaker in it as it was a loaner, but I doubt it. And I suppose my Anniversary edition could have come with some uber special edition stereo, but I doubt that too. And I am a musician, with a super picky keen ear for fidelity.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:30 AM
pontiacstogo

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I only had a Q50 for a day - but the difference between it and my current G37 reminded me very much of the difference between my current G37 and my previous (2005) G35. They seem to be getting 'softer' and more isolated with each new model.

I also wasn't a fan of the Q50 interior - too many differing textures and colors. And is there no fobgina? I couldn't see one (unless it was somewhere I didn't know about).

Quick Reply: My week commuting in a loaded Q50