Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Dont waste your money on intakes! Read first

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:16 PM
DonVito

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont waste your money on intakes! Read first

Hey guys I just wanted to say that if you are thinking of installing Amy kind of CAI or short ram intake on your sedan then I'd say don't waste your money. Especially if you have any kind of exhaust work done weather ist a catback, axleback, muffler delete or straight pipe you will never hear or feel any difference of the intake. Unless you like the look of shiny pipes under your hood. Imo it's a waste of money

The reason you can't hear the change in engine to be is because the density of the air traveling into each pipe is split in half due to having a dual intake and therefore doesn't resonate as loud and give you that growling noise from the engine that you are desiring. Now if our cats had a single intake that would be a different story.

I recently installed the stillen gen 3 on my car and was a bit disappointed after spending $500 on it. Ofcoarse I have a muffler delete on my ride so it over powered any sound you would have coming from the intake weather your inside the cabin with closed Windows or open. From the outside you can barely make out the difference in sound if standing In front of the car. So if your deciding weather you want to get a CAI I'd take some of these facts into consideration. If you like the shiny pipes them get a short ram and save yourself some money. Imo opinion the muffler delete gives This car the perfect sound not too loud and not too quiet and roars when you punch it
Old 09-20-2014, 02:27 PM
MikeMorteo

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So you're saying not to get it because you can't hear a difference? I'm sure there will be power gains with this type of add and if you had it tuned even more gains. I bought and installed Q300 Invidia CBE on my 12 G37s Sedan and its not load at all. People riding behind me say that it sounds better from the back than inside the car. Quite and power added is what I'm saying and I can still hear everything the engine is doing.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Spent $375 on my long tube CAI from takeda. Absolutely made the car more aggressive n fun to drive. I enjoy the sound also....but that's just a bonus
Old 09-20-2014, 03:36 PM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
if you're looking for sound, the SRI comes to life when you jump on it. I have an older injen and that's what my passengers and I hear...
Old 09-20-2014, 04:19 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
I don't think the main purpose of intakes is to change sound. They're used for performance improvements, not sound. Yes it might sound a bit different from stock, but it's still a performance mod.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (09-22-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Solidus
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Ummmm.......ok then. Stickers ftw.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by dgey1
if you're looking for sound, the SRI comes to life when you jump on it. I have an older injen and that's what my passengers and I hear...
My Injen + my TopSpeed exhaust sounds really nice at WOT, especially over 3k rpm, definitely very noticeable difference before & after the SRI was added. I'm happy w/ it but I wasn't expecting much gain, it feels like there is but all the data says otherwise
If I had to do it all over again I'd still buy it But it was under $300 so no biggie IMO.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by DonVito
Hey guys I just wanted to say that if you are thinking of installing Amy kind of CAI or short ram intake on your sedan then I'd say don't waste your money. Especially if you have any kind of exhaust work done weather ist a catback, axleback, muffler delete or straight pipe you will never hear or feel any difference of the intake. Unless you like the look of shiny pipes under your hood. Imo it's a waste of money
Sure am glad someone finally installed the Gen3 on one of these cars. We've been waiting for this review a long, long time.

"Shiny pipes under the hood" -- meh. I don't see anything but win here, Don.

In fact, I speak for the entire VQ37HR world when I say... LMAO!

Last edited by Rochester; 09-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:35 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Idk bout you but shiny pipes under a hood look darn good. .. mines are actually gold
Old 09-20-2014, 10:07 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
While a blanketed statement, Im actually going out on a limb here and support DonVito. With my history of intakes, I actually agree with him about intakes on these cars.

To each their own though. Whats worthless for someone has plenty of worth for another. Im not sure I would make a claim telling people not to waste their money. its their money and worth is always subjective to the individual.

Last edited by bat6wc; 09-20-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Well DonVito is entitled to his opinion. My opinion is this is bad advice. I think it's clear there is a def gain in performance and sound...granted I haven't gotten the CBE of my choice YeT....but C'mon man, long tune shiny pipes under the hood look F-N amazing....I just don't understand this thinking of DV's. No offense intended.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Lol at all this hate for intakes, stillen cai and Takeda cai provide dyno proven power it is well known and documented. I have the Takeda, and it sounds really nice above 3k rpm. It is also well known that a tune is required to make the most out of any intake for the vq37. Thanks for trying to enlighten us, there hasn't been enough discussion on this topic :-/
The following 4 users liked this post by conkus805:
ANMVQ (09-22-2014), Redfire32 (09-20-2014), Rochester (09-21-2014), twin_snails (09-22-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 10:44 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
Lol at all this hate for intakes, stillen cai and Takeda cai provide dyno proven power it is well known and documented. I have the Takeda, and it sounds really nice above 3k rpm. It is also well known that a tune is required to make the most out of any intake for the vq37. Thanks for trying to enlighten us, there hasn't been enough discussion on this topic :-/
Actually, a tune really isnt necessary with bolt on mods. From someone who worked for a tuning company(and a lot of VQ motors), today's MAF sensors and ECU do a pretty good job of adjusting as is. A tune is only necessary if something really throws off your A/F mixture. In which case, any intake that does throw off the A/F mixture that much, is a warning sign.

I have had every intake BUT the stillen gen 3. Takeda short and long tubes, K&N, Injen, R2C, Stillen Gen 2 and the silicone smooth tubes. Every intake I have ever owned (aside from the post MAF silicone tubes) on this car has caused a decrease in low end, and maybe a slight increase in the top end. So when gains are said to be +8-15whp, thats at higher rpm numbers, and does not show the +8whp loss that occurs at the low end.

No car is the same though. People must remember this. Different altitudes, temperatures, humidity levels, etc all cause the same car to act differently throughout the world. Dyno numbers are not meant to compare car to car, but rather that one car to that same car (assuming same dyno is used). Its a measuring tool for the one car. Dyno numbers, like all statistics and numbers, can be manipulated and used with bias.

In my opinion, based on all my trials, an intake is really for aesthetic purposes only...sound and looks. Its the same with a strut bar in my opinion. Ive had the three different bars for this car (gt spec, cusco and alutec). Others may disagree and have their own opinion but based on my own personal research and trials, I am confident with my sample size and research to hold my opinion to be true.

Bottom line, if you want it, get it, like it, keep it.

Last edited by bat6wc; 09-20-2014 at 11:43 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by bat6wc:
blueis300 (09-22-2014), Bravo at (09-21-2014), indowanksta88 (09-23-2014), Mik3G37S (09-22-2014), monytx (09-21-2014), ratso000 (09-22-2014), VT's G35S Sedan (09-20-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-2014, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Pretty good summation Bat. Like I said previously, I like my SRI for the boost in sound and the cleaner look under the hood. It was worth the rather minimal price IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
bat6wc (09-20-2014), VT's G35S Sedan (09-20-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 11:55 PM
VT's G35S Sedan
CARHOLICS

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Installed the Weapon R SRI back in 2010 when I first got my 2007 G35S sedan and now carried them over to my new sedan and You can hear them very well.
The double tube design of these intakes makes a lovely sound.
My brother had the stillen Gen3 on his g37s coupe and Yes since the intakes are located in front of the radiator grille, there is less engine sound inside the cabin but similar growl outside.

This video is not mine but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Dont waste your money on intakes! Read first