Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Dont waste your money on intakes! Read first

Old 09-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by VT's G35S Sedan
Installed the Weapon R SRI back in 2010 when I first got my 2007 G35S sedan and now carried them over to my new sedan and You can hear them very well.
The double tube design of these intakes makes a lovely sound.
My brother had the stillen Gen3 on his g37s coupe and Yes since the intakes are located in front of the radiator grille, there is less engine sound inside the cabin but similar growl outside.

This video is not mine but you get the idea.

Dude you've got one sweet A$$ ride. Looks great
Old 09-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
It is also well known that a tune is required to make the most out of any intake for the vq37.
This. For crying out loud, people.

Why? Because research, experience and realistic expectations. I'll take any of those three, any day, over the butt-dyno impressions of a noob with buyers remorse and no freaking mufflers.

Don, your sedan looks fantastic (your car below). But come on, man. This thread is ridiculous.

Name:  14962988941_70a6e4aaa3_o_zpsad4f8178.jpg
Views: 3075
Size:  93.9 KB

Last edited by Rochester; 09-21-2014 at 08:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
conkus805 (09-22-2014), Redfire32 (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Thanked Rochester and 2nd the motion to delete this thread.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Jesus..... I take two days off from the forum and come back to this. SMH
Old 09-21-2014, 03:04 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
This has been myth- busted many times. A quick YouTube search will provide many examples. In some cases the CAI decreases power because of the temp of the air the CAI pulls in is not as cool as allowing the stock intake to grab the air.

I think your opinion is backed up by facts, Don - but not for the reasons you state.

I think K&N drop in's and post MAV tubes are about the best combination for added power and some additional growl at the engine IMO.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
IMO the thread has value, DV is stating his opinion and giving a heads-up about what to expect when adding an intake.

Adding an intake isn't going to give much gain, that's a fact, but for those wanting a bit more engine volume and the "feel" that you've got more power along w/ the improved looks inside the engine bay it's worth it.

For those that expect to get down the road noticeably quicker it would be a waste of money.

I think it's worth it, at least in the case of my sub $300 SRI
Old 09-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Brad Brad Brad....DonVito is clearly suffering from buyers remorse bc he dropped $500 plus on the big name CAI n just so happened to have all the elements (I.e. Muffler delete) to creste a perfect storm of regret and inability to "feel or hear" the difference. Yes I'll conceed that there has been some "helpful??" Info on this thread but it's spotty at best.

DV you seem well versed and have a clear experience with several diff brands of CAI's. But you already spent the dough and you might as well appreciate it. Give us a pic of that badboy under the hood. I bet it's sweet...? Also I think your muffler delete is just not allowing you to appreciate it before a tune. I believe the majority of intake owners are firmly in the "I love/like/ or at least appreciate my Cold air intake!!!"

But I think it's clearly undeniable that DV's sedan is a top notch beauty! Not just kissin A$$ bc I'm trying to contradict him either. Sweet ride.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:21 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Actually, it's proven that all you get is noise until you optimize your mod with a custom tune. You in reality lean out the F:A Ratio so much by dropping in any high flow intake that the ECU cannot compensate for the condition. This equals less HP & TQ, but it sounds good. LOL

+1 for the car though. It looks stunning!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 AM
conquistador
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I researched this topic to death on all the G/Z sites and eventually I ended up being a fluid dynamics amateur expert. Laminar airflow, corrugated vs. smooth surface, Reynolds number, industrial application examples in favor of corrugated, eddy's, turbulence, etc...

I'm just going to get drop ins and seal the resonators attached to the airbox

The engineers at Nissan are pretty smart and are obsessed with efficiency, so much so that they gave us dual intake manifolds!

Last edited by conquistador; 09-22-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
When I was looking to get a CAI I honestly didn't do much research at all. I had read Rochesters build thread and I know that he puts a lot of time into carefully planning out mods and researching and I trusted his judgement. I had heard that the stock intakes do a great job already, but when I was thinking about buying a CAI I was mainly looking for engine bling. Whether I lost or gained overall torque or horsepower I don't know and I don't really care. I have noticed that I lost some top end torque, but seemed to gain it in the lower and mid range. But overall I've been happy with them. Different people buy different things for different reasons.

Don if you're not happy with the Gen 3 then I'm sure you could take it out and sell it in the classified section. They don't seem to last long if priced well.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
When I was looking to get a CAI I honestly didn't do much research at all. I had read Rochesters build thread and I know that he puts a lot of time into carefully planning out mods and researching and I trusted his judgement.
Yikes! Didn't expect to read that.

Long term, I intend to swap out the R2C for the Takeda Long-tube kit before the car gets tuned... which is still a couple years out beyond other mod plans.

Thanks, Kirk. That made my day.

Originally Posted by DonVito
From the outside you can barely make out the difference in sound if standing In front of the car.
Um. Um. Nevermind.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-22-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
When I was looking to get a CAI I honestly didn't do much research at all. I had read Rochesters build thread and I know that he puts a lot of time into carefully planning out mods and researching and I trusted his judgement. I had heard that the stock intakes do a great job already, but when I was thinking about buying a CAI I was mainly looking for engine bling. Whether I lost or gained overall torque or horsepower I don't know and I don't really care. I have noticed that I lost some top end torque, but seemed to gain it in the lower and mid range. But overall I've been happy with them. Different people buy different things for different reasons.

Don if you're not happy with the Gen 3 then I'm sure you could take it out and sell it in the classified section. They don't seem to last long if priced well.
I suspect this is spot on. There's alot of smart people here and there are many that go with the "better to look good than be good" mods. I get it, it's not for me, but i get it. Do whatever you like to your car and have your opinions. That's what forums are for. If we all agreed, this would be a pretty boring site.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:07 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Read my dyno thread on just adding intake and tune on my car and come back and tell me cai is not worth it. Just search Takeda Cai.
The following 2 users liked this post by conkus805:
Redfire32 (09-22-2014), twin_snails (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
my first "perfomance mod" was stillen gen 3 CAI and I could def. hear the difference.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by monytx
I don't think the main purpose of intakes is to change sound. They're used for performance improvements, not sound. Yes it might sound a bit different from stock, but it's still a performance mod.
This.

I installed my Takeda and there was definitely a gain. Where it used to be anemic (with stock intakes) on the way to redline, it now pulls harder than a freight train and would happily spool to 8,000 rpm if the bottom end was built.

I've never heard of anyone buying an intake primarily for sound. That's just a fringe benefit, but after an exhaust is installed, you never hear the intakes anyway.

Not buying that they add and do absolutely nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by twin_snails:
conkus805 (09-22-2014), Redfire32 (09-22-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dont waste your money on intakes! Read first