G37 Sedan

Is this a good setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 AM
triassiic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good setup

I have a 2013 G37 sedan. I am planning on adding:
-19'' Sport Coupe Wheels (19x8.5 front; 19x9 rear)
-Michelin PSS Tires (245/40 front; 275/35 rear)
-H&R Spacers (20 mm front; 15mm rear)
-Swift Springs
-Eibach Sway Bars

Will I have any issues with this setup. I am a daily driver, and I have a few questions:
1. Are these tires ideal for SoCal weather? Will this tire size have any issues with this setup (rubbing)?
2. Is it a good idea for a daily driver to combine Swift Springs with Eibach sway bars? Would Hotchkis sways be better? Would Eibach Springs be better?
3. I know every car is "different", but will I probably need a F/R camber kit, just rear, etc.?
4. Will I need struts or shocks or both with these springs (I have about 17k miles)? Will I need end links for the sway bars?
5. Is there anything in addition that would be necessary for this setup?

I am open to recommendations. Please tell me if there is a better spring, tire, sway bar combination that would be more ideal. Again, I am a daily driver. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
You shouldn't need any spacers with 245/275. Those sizes usually sit flush with the fender. If I were you I wouldn't buy spacers till you have the tires mounted and then reassess the need for them then.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:24 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, and like 11G37S mentioned, just wait on spacers, it's simple to add them last, and by then you'll know exactly how much you'll need.

Just keep an eye on your end links as they tend to degrade once you drop your G, a mild Swift drop shouldn't be too severe though. As far as camber kits, I recommend the full kit, but at the very least the rear camber & toe set would be a good idea.

I'd also consider Toyo T1 Sports, a bit easier on the wallet than the PSS and still a very good Wet&Dry performer.

As far as "needing" shocks & struts, you'll be OK w/ your milder springs, at least for a couple years, YMMV, but in general you should be good to go. When the time comes you might consider going w/ Koni Yellows.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
T1 sport is a cheaper option for the same performance.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:01 PM
triassiic

Thanks for the tire recommendation. I will definitely look into the T1's as they are much cheaper than the Michelins and are quality tires, from what I've read on these forums.

As for the spacers. If I don't run them, there won't be any rubbing issues with these size tires? Also, can someone post a picture of a sedan with these wheels and tire sizes, one running these size spacers and one running no spacers at all?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by triassiic
Thanks for the tire recommendation. I will definitely look into the T1's as they are much cheaper than the Michelins and are quality tires, from what I've read on these forums.

As for the spacers. If I don't run them, there won't be any rubbing issues with these size tires? Also, can someone post a picture of a sedan with these wheels and tire sizes, one running these size spacers and one running no spacers at all?
Just blast through this thread, plenty of combos & looks for you to consider
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...g37-sedan.html
Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunny G
T1 sport is a cheaper option for the same performance.
Based on what?

Tire Rack and Car and Driver both ranked the PSS as best in class, and they both ranked the bridgestone potenza S04 as runner up. The T1s came in 4th. That's a same car, same day, same track comparison.

OP, if budget permits, Koni Yellows would be a worthwhile upgrade. Save the stock parts for when you sell the car, the suspension will be fresh and you can sell the Konis.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
2. Is it a good idea for a daily driver to combine Swift Springs with Eibach sway bars? Would Hotchkis sways be better? Would Eibach Springs be better?
Eibach... Hotchkis... it doesn't matter. Aftermarket sways won't have any effect on your daily driving, except to allow for faster speeds on highway ramps. And if you Auto-X, you'll be pretty amazed at what sways will do for the car.

I've got Eibach sways, lowered on RWD Swift Springs, with 19" staggered rims and Michelin PSS tires. The handling of this heavy sport sedan is nothing less than heroic. I know that's pretty thick hyperbole... Sue me.

My only complaint is some light groaning noises as I move in and out of my garage and driveway. I've regreased the sway bushings, so IDK what that is... end-links complaining, I suppose. None too worried, though. You have to make a few compromises when going out of spec. My plan is to replace end-links next Spring.

As for camber & toe... toe can be brought into spec at a good alignment shop. My front camber came in at -1.7* and my rear camber at -2.1*. While out of spec, it also doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
triassiic

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Based on what?

Tire Rack and Car and Driver both ranked the PSS as best in class, and they both ranked the bridgestone potenza S04 as runner up. The T1s came in 4th. That's a same car, same day, same track comparison.

OP, if budget permits, Koni Yellows would be a worthwhile upgrade. Save the stock parts for when you sell the car, the suspension will be fresh and you can sell the Konis.
Can you give me a link for Koni yellows? I can't find any for the sedan. Should I get shocks or struts or both? Also, what setting do you recommend I use on them since they are adjustable?

Last edited by triassiic; 09-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Can you give me a link for Koni yellows? I can't find any for the sedan. Also, what setting do you recommend I use on them since they are adjustable?
Look for the 370/G37 coupe application, Koni never test fitted them on the sedan, so they arent listed.

I'm at 1 turn from full soft front, and 1.5 turns rear.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:38 PM
triassiic

Originally Posted by '11G37S
You shouldn't need any spacers with 245/275. Those sizes usually sit flush with the fender. If I were you I wouldn't buy spacers till you have the tires mounted and then reassess the need for them then.
Say I do decide to get the spacers, (I most likely will since I prefer the more aggressive look they give), will there be any rubbing issues? If there will be, then I won't get them.

Last edited by triassiic; 09-15-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Say I do decide to get the spacers (I most likely will since I prefer the more aggressive look they give), will there be any rubbing issues? If there will be, then I won't get them.
I don't have 275s on my G (I will by the time summer rolls back around), but I've seen them on some G's and a 275 is right in line with the fender. If you put spacers on and aren't lowered you'll be outside the fender, but of you are lowered you'll rub.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:03 PM
bigmike35nj

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
You will def need spacers in the front. I have a swift drop also. I have that setup with 245/275 combo. The fronts were definitely tucked in. I have 15mm but you could go 20 in the front. I didn't touch the ears because they are pretty flush
Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Based on what?

Do you have a link for the tire review? Only one I found was from 2012 and the Proxes T1Sports weren't in production yet. The one I see w/ teh four brands you listed have the Toyo Proxes 1, that's a different tire and AFAIK it's no longer available.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Do you have a link for the tire review? Only one I found was from 2012 and the Proxes T1Sports weren't in production yet. The one I see w/ teh four brands you listed have the Toyo Proxes 1, that's a different tire and AFAIK it's no longer available.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=162

You're correct, it was the T1 in the above comparison. However, both Tire Rack and Toyo list the T1 as a "Max Performance Summer Tire" and the T1S as an "UHP Summer Tire".

High Performance Sport Sedan & Coupe Tires | Toyo Tires
The Proxes 1, the flagship of the legendary Proxes line, uses our most advanced technology.

So while the T1 Sport wasn't directly compared to the PSS and S04, the T1, which is classified in a higher performance category was, and came in 4th. So I'm going to say it's unlikely the T1 Sport is going to not only perform beyond its classification, but also knock off the PSS and S04.

Nothing against Toyo tires, I ran through 2 sets of Proxes 4s on my old Mazda 6s, and I just put Proxes ST on my wife's Acura MDX. I'd recommend Toyo to anyone. And as someone who is currently in the market for summer rubber, I'd love a cheaper alternative to the PSS, but from an instrumented testing perspective, and not just anecdotal internet banter, it sure seems like the PSS is the benchmark, and the S04 is the "runner up".

We all have priorities and budgets though, and none of the above are bad tires. Personally, I'm running the S04s and am torn on dropping the extra coin on PSS.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (09-16-2014)

Quick Reply: Is this a good setup