G37 Sedan

First mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Mindows7

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
First mod

Hey guys, I purchased my 2011 g37x about a month ago and the mod bug has already got me. I was debating what I should do for my first mod, springs, rims, exhaust, intakes but the one thing that caught my eye was hotchkis sway bars. I thought that it would be a solid mod and a good base for other mods. I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions as to what I should do to my car. Sorry if that was a bit out there, I am new to fairly new to the forums
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Sway bars are a great choice, but I would recommend the Stillen Gen 3 intake. It looks, performs and sounds awesome. Stock our cars handle well. Without a drop the sway bars won't help as much. If you drop the car (I'd do that first) then adding sways will help a lot. If you drop the car get performance shocks and struts like Koni yellows and you will be happy you did. Those are my next mods.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:51 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Check the sticky in the newbie section. Some kind (and incredibly handsome) soul wrote up a dissertation on modding the g37.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Check the sticky in the newbie section. Some kind (and incredibly handsome) soul wrote up a dissertation on modding the g37.
I don't remember writing up anything like that...?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Mindows7

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Sway bars are a great choice, but I would recommend the Stillen Gen 3 intake. It looks, performs and sounds awesome. Stock our cars handle well. Without a drop the sway bars won't help as much. If you drop the car (I'd do that first) then adding sways will help a lot. If you drop the car get performance shocks and struts like Koni yellows and you will be happy you did. Those are my next mods.
Id love to lower my car but living in new york some of the roads are pretty harsh, if i was to lower it id want to get a really conservative drop like swifts or something along the lines of that

Thanks GoFightNguyen il be sure to go look at that
Old 09-13-2014, 07:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Don't forget the little thanks button in the lower right corner, Oh, and welcome to the site!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
No offense, but this is terrible advice.

You can get almost the same gains out of drop in filters and post MAF tubes compared to the G3 and not have to drop $500+ and cut holes in your bumper.

A G37X handles well You should talk to WannaBeSport

Sway bars are a solid mod, and your claim that they won't help a lot without lowering is.....wrong.

Koni yellows are a great upgrade. Except they don't fit the X.
The following users liked this post:
ScrewstonNismo (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Mindows7

Originally Posted by blnewt
Don't forget the little thanks button in the lower right corner, Oh, and welcome to the site!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

You can get almost the same gains out of drop in filters and post MAF tubes compared to the G3 and not have to drop $500+ and cut holes in your bumper.

Sway bars are a solid mod, and your claim that they won't help a lot without lowering is.....wrong.

Koni yellows are a great upgrade. Except they don't fit the X.

Il make sure to look into a filter and MAF tube, the price makes them very desirable

Does anyone know of a good spring/strut or coilover that would give me a conservative drop? I have looked at swifts and eibachs but I havent really looked into aftermarket sruts
Old 09-13-2014, 08:39 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Agree, intakes are worthless for this car. Go with sway bars if you want to feel a difference.

Dont waste your time with springs. Go with a nice coilover setup. Swifts will get harsh over time. And will wear down your shocks and struts.

Last edited by bat6wc; 09-13-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:43 PM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindows7
Does anyone know of a good spring/strut or coilover that would give me a conservative drop? I have looked at swifts and eibachs but I havent really looked into aftermarket sruts
Swift Springs, all day long. http://imgur.com/3q9MBFE

Edit: For some reason, I can't insert the photo. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit2: I didn't read your whole quote! Derp. I love my swifts though. I think they ride better than stock. Moar low, less body roll, not that expensive, and a comfy ride. What more can you want?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm running post maf tubes from HPS, they seem to help with throttle response. I plan to run some "down tubes" down behind the grill for a cooler intake. Was able to get the tubes on here used for $60... Which brings me to my next piece of advice...Check the classifieds for cool deals.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
NOS Kit.

jk, I just love that part.

But srsly, it depends on what you want. I already have intakes, catback, RHFC, intake manifold and I still haven't gotten the sway bars lol.
The RHFC, HFC, test pipes or resonated test pipes is the best horsepower mod available N/A.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (09-14-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Mindows7

Thank you everyone for the help!

Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
NOS Kit.

Fast and the Furious - I Need NOS - YouTube

jk, I just love that part.

But srsly, it depends on what you want. I already have intakes, catback, RHFC, intake manifold and I still haven't gotten the sway bars lol.
The RHFC, HFC, test pipes or resonated test pipes is the best horsepower mod available N/A.
I was thinking down the line I would get some HFC's with a FI y-back but I wanna do suspension/rims before I do a exhaust just cause
Old 09-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Paratrooper
I'm running post maf tubes from HPS, they seem to help with throttle response.
drop ins and post maf

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-stock-6.html

Originally Posted by Paratrooper
Was able to get the tubes on here used for $60... Which brings me to my next piece of advice...Check the classifieds for cool deals.
+1

Watch the classifieds. I've made several scores, best being a brand new color matched trunk lid spoiler

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-stock-6.html
Old 09-13-2014, 11:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Here's a thread w/ what coilovers are currently available for AWDs, the Fortune 500s are the newest entry and seem to be getting reviews that are better than the other offerings, although some just don't have any on site reviews
The one issue w/ most coilovers is they typically drop pretty low in back, even on their highest settings so going for a mild drop on coils is often hard to come by.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...r-options.html

Quick Reply: First mod