Sway Bar bracket broken

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM
crazieight
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Sway Bar bracket broken

Hey all, so I just came back from the dealership to fix a brake squeal (had glazed rotors in the back and they fixed it under warranty - resurface) and on the sheet of paper it said that the technician found that my "RR Rear Sway Bar Bracket broken". I thought my exhaust was loose, so turns out that is that "metallic sound" coming from the back... I have the Hotchkis sways front and rear so this is probably why my stock brackets broke

What does RR mean, is that rear? Also, is my best option to replace my entire endlink to something like SPL?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Probably should call your service adviser to clarify. RR usually means Removed & Replaced. Otherwise RR = right rear, but wouldn't apply to "RR Rear Sway Bar Bracket broken"
Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 AM
crazieight
Registered Member

Hmm, you may be right, but I forgot to add:

At the end of the "RR" it says "aftermarket sway bars"
Old 09-10-2014, 01:40 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
RR normally refers to right rear, and the bracket is not the end link so you don't need to upgrade to the spl if you don't want to. I would only upgrade if your end links wear out quickly.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 AM
crazieight
Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply. So I'm not really that great with parts but is the bracket part of the endlink? Would I be able to just replace the bracket by itself?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:44 AM
DPNx714

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by crazieight
Sorry for the late reply. So I'm not really that great with parts but is the bracket part of the endlink? Would I be able to just replace the bracket by itself?

Thanks!
The bracket is the piece that goes around the bushing and bolts the swaybar to the chassis. I circled it in red for you. If you have Hotchkis as stated, they use their own bracket and bushings with the sway bars instead of the OEM bracket/bushing. Contact them and see if they can provide replacement.

Name:  hotchkisg35-g37awd_zps11bb70a8.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  163.8 KB
Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
If you can, I would jack your car up and take a look. I have installed the brackets on Camrys and Venzas, as part of my job (automotive manufacturing) and I don't see how a bracket could break. Could be differences in design, but you would have a better chance of a bolt/nut being broken and the bracket is rattling against the chassis than a bracket breaking. If you could post a picture that would go a long way in confirming if the dealership was correct.

When installing anything on the bottom of the car, you or your mechanic, should always hang tighten the nut or bolt to prevent a cross thread or breaking a stud. If you use a battery gun or air gun to shoot the bolt/nut down make sure that you hand tighten it all the way down. If you really wanted to you could get a torque wrench and tighten it down to factory specs, which is recommend. I've already had to replace a broken stud because my mechanic over torqued a stud and broke it. It cost close to $150. Just some food for thought.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:39 AM
crazieight
Registered Member

Ah darn, this was really helpful! I'll jack it up soon or get my friend to help me take a look.

I don't really see how a bracket could be broken either. I'll call the dealership to confirm what they found/meant.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:33 PM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I would believe an endlink would break before a sway bar bracket.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:55 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
RR usually means Remove and Replace. If one bracket is broken, they will probably replace both. I've never heard of those things breaking though. It's usually the end link bushings that go first.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:27 PM
crazieight
Registered Member

Only thing I'm worried about is that since it's an aftermarket sway bar that caused the said part to break, not sure if they would replace that since it's not OEM
Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Hotchkis has a lifetime warranty as long as you filled out the warranty card when you purchased and installed the sways. I'd contact them for a new mount. I'm almost sure that they would help you with this issue. Most reputable aftermarket parts companies will stand by their products. Hotchkis or BUST brother.
The following users liked this post:
crazieight (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 PM
crazieight
Registered Member

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I've solved the problem.

I bought the sway bars from a member here. The member didn't give me the sway bar brackets that came with the Hotchkis. They gave me the OEM G37 ones...however, I do believe I have the warranty card...but here's the other thing: I'm not sure where it is right now, and I don't believe I ever filled it out. I'll have to give Hotchkis a call on Monday and see if they can help me.

Knock on wood.

Also, I took my car into the dealership to find out what problems it's having and now they're trying to charge me for a "diagnostic fee"...$125.

The advisor said they can fix the current OEM bracket for $80 and waive the diagnostic fee. I'd rather not, but it seems that they are going to try to charge me regardless. I wasn't told of any fees, and I went in for a car inspection that I assumed would be free because I have warranty left.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:45 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
You can try to get them to wave the inspection fee, but because it wasn't an OEM part that they spent time problem solving they will more than likely charge you for it. However you could possibly try to talk them down in price since it was not talked about before.

I also doubt that Hotchkiss will cover the bracket under warranty since you bought it used but if you don't disclose that you may have a better chance.

You may be able to save some money by installing the replacement yourself if you feel comfortable doing it, but I would venture to assume that it'll cost at least $100 to have a shop, not the dealer, to install it.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:17 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm almost positive, but there's no way the hotchkis sway bar fit inside the OEM rear swaybar bracket.

Jack up the car and take pictures or take it to a performance shop if you can't do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar bracket broken