Sponsored by:

Infiniti Q50S to Get G37 Derived Steering System for 2016

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Infiniti Q50S to Get G37 Derived Steering System for 2016

Infiniti Q50S to Get G37-Derived Steering System for 2016 ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

It sounds like Infiniti is finally listening to the enthusiasts and fixing the Q50S' steering in the 2016 model year. It might actually be worth upgrading to the Q50S if they also upgrade the engine, tweak the suspension tuning and add a MT option.
The following users liked this post:
skeener (08-31-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 01:44 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
It sounds like they're headed in the right direction. I love the steering in my S. Also looks like they are trying to make the sport sedans exhaust louder too; "along with some tweaks to the exhaust system to bring the Q50′s sound closer to that of earlier Infinitis"
Old 08-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
It sounds like they're headed in the right direction. I love the steering in my S. Also looks like they are trying to make the sport sedans exhaust louder too; "along with some tweaks to the exhaust system to bring the Q50′s sound closer to that of earlier Infinitis"
I sadly understand the lack of a proper 6MT, but IDK why they didn't introduce direct-injection and a DCT with this car.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have an interest in the Q50 if I could order it with high performance summer tires, a spare and the G37 steering system. It would be even sweeter if they could bump up the HP and torque a bit.
The way the Q50 is configured now I have zero interest in it and will probably take my chances with a 3 or 4 series BMW when I want to change cars.
Tom
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
At least they're going in the right direction for a change. Now they have to do something about the bland styling with the mid cycle update but that's a chore in itself because there is nothing about the car's styling that I actually like which bodes well for me because it makes my 2011 still look good and certainly not dated. I use to complain about the Q50's generic rear end but that front end looks more hideous to me everyime I see it. It's gonna age very badly.

I had the Q50 for a week as a loaner and not one person complimented me on the styling and every single one said my 2011 looks better. The Q50 looks disjointed, the wheel wells are too big and the overall look makes the the car look like a tricked out family sedan and certainly not classy like a luxury car should look because it tries too hard to look trendy and is like the automotive equivalent of parachute pants. Infiniti achieved the rare feat of a new design where they make it look cheaper than it actually costs and then made it a bore to drive.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 08-30-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
Infiniti achieved the rare feat of a new design where they make it look cheaper than it actually costs and then made it a bore to drive.
Ouch. That's harsh. True... just harsh.

Have you seen the non-sport, non-leather seats? Ew-w-w. Even the Q50 Leather Sport Seats are weak. The Sport Seating in my 6MT is so much better than both.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:54 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
I wonder what they will do to to improve the exhaust. Seems that the current sedan exhaust could benefit from larger diameter piping, such as what Stillen is using in their aftermarket setup. As far as direct injection goes, they should probably use a combination of direct and port based injection like Lexus is using: High-end V6s - the Lexus direct-injection 3.5L and Cadillac 3.6L - Autoblog, which helps offset alot of the headaches from using purely direct injection (poor low speed performance and carbon build up issues).

A combination of the two could provide more power and better fuel economy, which is very attractive in this segment.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I sadly understand the lack of a proper 6MT, but IDK why they didn't introduce direct-injection and a DCT with this car.
It's possible we could still see that happen with the 2017 model. Judging from previous generations, that would be the year for the mid-cycle refresh, and with the 2010, we got the 3.7L and the 7AT. Oddly enough, power train changes seem to occur at an offset from the cars themselves, but that could be a strategy to drive sales on the "back 9" of a model lifecycle. I would say that hope springs eternal and we could still see some form of a revised V6 with DI and a DCT, which I think would be an excellent addition.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Oddly enough, power train changes seem to occur at an offset from the cars themselves, but that could be a strategy to drive sales on the "back 9" of a model lifecycle.
That's an accurate assessment of how Nissan operates. I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers do that, too. Good point, twin_snails.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Thank you Sir. I stuck with "seems to occur" because that's the established pattern so far, but it could always change. I'm only speaking in terms of the G because I haven't followed the other models that closely. However, new engines and transmissions seem to debut in the G and make their way across the model lineup over time. It was quite a while before we got the EX37 and FX37.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Race_Tech4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major thing that turned me off from buying a Q50s was the steering system. Glad thats one of the first things that went. Although I am not exactly happy with the wind noise and raod noise on the G37, hopefully that was addressed as well with the newer models.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I wonder what they will do to to improve the exhaust. Seems that the current sedan exhaust could benefit from larger diameter piping, such as what Stillen is using in their aftermarket setup. As far as direct injection goes, they should probably use a combination of direct and port based injection like Lexus is using: High-end V6s - the Lexus direct-injection 3.5L and Cadillac 3.6L - Autoblog, which helps offset alot of the headaches from using purely direct injection (poor low speed performance and carbon build up issues).

A combination of the two could provide more power and better fuel economy, which is very attractive in this segment.
If they want to increase sound, i wouldnt think they increase the diameter, just replace the resonators and mufflers with more free flowing material. increasing diameter increases the chances of causing more in-cabin drone. thats one of the reasons fast intentions runs all their sedan exhaust systems at 2.25" and the Coupes at 2.5"
Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As an owner of a Q50S (and someone coming from a 2011 G37S Sedan), I'll stick my head out there and say that the Q50 DAS (Steer by wire) is ridiculously accurate and still has great feel.
Road texture is still accurately conveyed and connection to the road is still very much there. Benefits are quicker response, adjustable sensitivity and effort, and of course all the automatic lane adjustments that become possible.

I gave it a chance and it's awesome.
I think many people hate it by default because it's different and new. Give it a chance and it'll grow on you.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Nice to see a company listen to a ground swell of negativity.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:16 PM
glennp_2012

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't let the people on myQforum see this thread. LOL! They wont admit that there is anything wrong with their car. I posted there and compared the test drive between the Q50 and the IS350 sport .... let's just say I almost got shot..... lol! Well I'm glad that they are doing something with the Q and it's about time. Aside from HP and Torque increase I wish they would do something about the lazy shifting tranny.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50S to Get G37 Derived Steering System for 2016