Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Wheel well material?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:41 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Wheel well material?

Does anyone know why the wheel well material of the front wheel wells is different than the rear wheel wells? The front wheel wells have a smooth plastic finish and the rear has fuzzy fabric-like material finish on the wells. Personally I like the fuzzy finish,so just wondering.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
the rear wells have felt-like material to dampen sound. the rears are the primary drive wheels so they'd be throwing up rocks/gravel more than the fronts. that's my guess anyhow. i'll assume the material is more costly which is why it was left off the front wells.
The following users liked this post:
linusent01 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 01:13 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by linusent01
Does anyone know why the wheel well material of the front wheel wells is different than the rear wheel wells? The front wheel wells have a smooth plastic finish and the rear has fuzzy fabric-like material finish on the wells. Personally I like the fuzzy finish,so just wondering.
Sound deadening, while the front can be plastic due to the engine bay absorbing the noise; the rear needs to be carpet to block noise that would otherwise come through the rear seats.

Why do you like the carpet? It's harder to clean than the plastic front liners.
The following users liked this post:
linusent01 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the carpet texture just because it looks & feels more upscale than the hard plastic, that's all. I don't think that the wheel wells are the most important aesthetic thing on my car, but then again I did notice the difference. Sort of like how I don't like smooth buttons on the steering wheel, or no liners in the door opening where you put your fingers to close the door. I prefer some sort of rubber, felt, or texture to these areas to set it apart from the low end cars. Minor details indeed, but they do add up.