Upgrade to akebono bbk and new wheels "worth" it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM
anestheticG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Upgrade to akebono bbk and new wheels "worth" it?

So I have a stock 2010 g37x with Nav, illuminated kick plates, and oem led DRLs. Just love the look of the bbk and hate that wheel gap with stock 17" wheels... Getting bbk installed + 19" or 20" wheels (love the look of vossens) to clear the bbk+ new tires, and getting calipers painted yellow (have a black car) would be in the ballpark of around 5k+?
Is it worth to spend so much money for something that's primarily cosmetic.... Better off keeping that money for down the line if the updated q60 strikes my fancy or for anything else infinti introduced in the next 3+ years?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Nope not worth it.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:16 PM
anestheticG

I figured... Just needed to hear it from someone else!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
It's all a matter of taste and functionality. If you want it, get it.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:20 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
You have the X. Your wheel gap will be horrible without drop period. I think a mild drop and wheels are better money spent
Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Worth it in relation to what?

What would you have to give up/forego in order to perform the mod? (A vacation, rolex, engagement ring, partial house down payment, emergency fund, not going to the bars?). Would you rather have any of the above or some nice wheels and brakes?

It's always about choices, what actually matters to you is what's important not what anyone else thinks...
Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
Worth it in relation to what?

What would you have to give up/forego in order to perform the mod? (A vacation, rolex, engagement ring, partial house down payment, emergency fund, not going to the bars?). Would you rather have any of the above or some nice wheels and brakes?

It's always about choices, what actually matters to you is what's important not what anyone else thinks...
Well said^^
Find some nice used wheels, a used BBK, and shave a good % off the cost and it might not seem as steep.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
My brakes were upgraded to the Akebono BBK with Stoptech rotors about a year ago. I personally feel the calipers are more for looks than functionality. Get new rotors if you want an upgrade in stopping power.

I have some regrets now that these brakes are on. What I should've done from the start was spend a couple more grand and get the StopTech Tropy Kit. It's a bit of an overkill for daily driving,but I like the 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers. The calipers on the Trophy Kit look more aggressive than the normal Stoptech BBK Brembos in IMO.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by AMai1215
My brakes were upgraded to the Akebono BBK with Stoptech rotors about a year ago. I personally feel the calipers are more for looks than functionality. Get new rotors if you want an upgrade in stopping power.
Pads do more for stopping power than rotors.

If you look at magazine tests of the 08 G35S vs the 09 G37S, the brake results from 60, 70, 80 are almost exactly the same.

The akebonos do look pretty though
Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
I wanted it....got it...haven't finished painting them but figure I'll love it. Totally see your point about the total cost if your already lookin down the line.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM
anestheticG

Originally Posted by Redfire32
I wanted it....got it...haven't finished painting them but figure I'll love it. Totally see your point about the total cost if your already lookin down the line.
Do you have an "X" model? What wheel did you get to clear the bbk? What was the approximate cost? Did you drop the vehicle?

This may be a dumb question but dropping the vehicle clearly reduces the ground clearance, right? Having an even lower vehicle with New England winters would probably not be ideal...
I'm going to continue to think about it but I figure that cost can be deferred for a down payment on something I want down the line (updated q60xs) or the q50 hybrid awd sport package (when they refine the hybrid tech/tranny fingers crossed)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Pads do more for stopping power than rotors.

If you look at magazine tests of the 08 G35S vs the 09 G37S, the brake results from 60, 70, 80 are almost exactly the same.

The akebonos do look pretty though
Agree with the statement above. I forgot to mention about the pads in my original post. No compliants with the hawk hps pads that I have on now.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't spend all that money for larger Akebono brakes and new wheels.

Instead, you could replace the stock brakes with proper drilled/slotted rotors and new pads. That is what I did and I think it's a sizable upgrade without the need for new wheels or calipers.

And I'm sure I can stop no worse than an Akebono-equipped G.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Yazovets
I wouldn't spend all that money for larger Akebono brakes and new wheels.

Instead, you could replace the stock brakes with proper drilled/slotted rotors and new pads. That is what I did and I think it's a sizable upgrade without the need for new wheels or calipers.

And I'm sure I can stop no worse than an Akebono-equipped G.
Drilled rotors = downgrade

Solid or slotted rotors are going to provide more surface area for the pads to generate friction and more mass to dissipate heat.

You might be fine for a half dozen stops, but after that.....probably not
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The main reason for the big brakes is the heat-sinking that the larger calipers w/ larger diameter & thicker rotors provide. This is meant for situations where you're doing a lot of continued braking such as tracking, auto-x, or continual spirited driving. In those situations the smaller calipers, smaller pads and smaller rotors will get much hotter resulting in dramatically decreased braking performance. As far as stopping power the basic brakes give you decent stopping power so improving stopping power w/ bigger brakes shouldn't really be the goal. The performance in tough driving conditions and the nice looks that accompany big brake setups are the two main reasons IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (08-25-2014)

Quick Reply: Upgrade to akebono bbk and new wheels "worth" it?