G37 Sedan

Front Chin Spoiler Install

Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Gia_37s

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyD
Yes, you need to drill the holes for the 4 clips. I thought about clear bra-ing my freshly painted bumper and lip. For the price to have it done I could just have them both repainted...
Thank you for your response! Would you happen to know which drill bit is needed for the clips. Would it be the 8mm or the 10mm or another bit size?

I've given the clear bra a lot of consideration for sometime. 2 years later my bumper looks so bad i regret not doing it then.

I'm constantly noticing new chips i leave 1/4 mile gaps when following cars and i end up leaving opening's for cars to cut me off :/

I recently got reversed into so my bumper got repainted and it looks amazing! I really want to maintain the fresh look for as long as possible and forget about the daily grief and the possibility of new chips.

repainting was definitely an option but some shops tell me its going to cost extra to repair chips and recondition the bumper plus the hassle of removing and installing or chance of the paint color not matching..
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
How much were you guys quoted for clear bra on the front? What all is getting clear brad? Lamin-x or xpel?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I am in a similar situation as you. Was backed into and had my bumper repainted. Then installed lip while it was off the car. What you're saying makes sense. I'll give the bra some more thinking. Having the bumper off and not driving the car for a week was quite a hassle. I didn't exactly get a quote. Just said I'm having my bumper repainted and want to protect it. He said $300-$400 for Xpel on the bumper. That was enough for me not to ask for a detailed quote including the front chin. And I lost interest after that. Quote could have been really high but I never bothered to check anywhere else.

I drilled first with 1/8" then made bigger with 5/16" which I think is the same as 3mm and 8mm.
The following users liked this post:
Gia_37s (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Gia_37s

Originally Posted by qmantran
How much were you guys quoted for clear bra on the front? What all is getting clear brad? Lamin-x or xpel?
My quote is for the XPEL ultimate i've read it has a pretty good warranty on the film(10year) there is also a warranty on the labor as well but i forgot how long though.
Front bumper $550, lip $100

I am in a similar situation as you. Was backed into and had my bumper repainted. Then installed lip while it was off the car. What you're saying makes sense. I'll give the bra some more thinking. Having the bumper off and not driving the car for a week was quite a hassle. I didn't exactly get a quote. Just said I'm having my bumper repainted and want to protect it. He said $300-$400 for Xpel on the bumper. That was enough for me not to ask for a detailed quote including the front chin. And I lost interest after that. Quote could have been really high but I never bothered to check anywhere else.

Wow 300-400! i'm at $650 and this was the 2nd place i called. The first place quoted me $750 for only the front bumper..

Yes, def give the clear bra some extra consideration. The first week i had my bumper back on i got a few rock chips already which made me jump on the clear bra. I really want my bumper to look frozen in time

I drilled first with 1/8" then made bigger with 5/16" which I think is the same as 3mm and 8mm.
Awesome! thank you i just finished doing a test fit. drilled the 4 holes in 2 stages super easy. I can't wait for it to be permanently on.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 AM
SS2006

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so is drilling a must. On page 1 i read that the 3m tape and cilps is enough. Any DIY with pictures on this install? Thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 AM
Gia_37s

Originally Posted by SS2006
so is drilling a must. On page 1 i read that the 3m tape and cilps is enough. Any DIY with pictures on this install? Thanks
Yes, to use the clips drilling is required there are no existing holes to use. once you have the lip mounted and look underneath you will see exactly where to punch and drill the holes. The lip fits like a glove so there is no room for error.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnylicio

Also dropped it on Swifts and 20mm spacers all around.
Was wondering about your MA front plate...?
Do you have a single "green" plate or just decided no front plate?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:58 AM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Mine came with a template
Old 05-13-2015, 12:29 PM
JohnnyD

Glad I could help!

The front chin is a very easy install. Many people and threads here make it seem much more difficult than it is.

Take the corner of the 3M backing paper and use masking tape to hold it onto the front of the lip(so you can grab it while the lip is in place)
Test fit the lip and make sure it's flush in place
Look underneath
Drill 4 holes where the lip shows you to 1/8" first then 5/16"
Insert 4 push pins that were included
Reuse 2 screws on the corner that were removed before
Remove 3M tape backing paper and push against bumper

Template is not needed, especially if you are not drilling holes in the side of the bumper as most of us didn't.
The following users liked this post:
Gia_37s (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
JohnnyD

After seeing your quotes I might jump on the xpel lol! I don't drive a lot of highway, but when I do I am worried of trashing the bumper. Would be a nice peace of mind.

I wish I would have made a DIY write up, I searched for a while trying to find as much info as I could on the install. And that's what made me put off doing it for so long. Made the job seem bigger than it is. The lip only fits one way, and if you don't want ugly screws in the side of your bumper, the template is a waste of time. It's not hard at all.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:37 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow you guys are brave relying on tape alone. Wait till you hit a large puddle at speed.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Gia_37s

Originally Posted by GeezerB
Wow you guys are brave relying on tape alone. Wait till you hit a large puddle at speed.
It's not just the tape alone.

2x stock metal threaded screws hold the outer part of the lip near the front tires.

4x push pin fasteners evenly throughout the center of the lip.

I test fitted one of the fasteners and it is a very tight fit.

When i test fitted it without any screws or tape i couldn't even move it. It fits so tight. I was impressed at how well designed the fit was.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Gia_37s

After seeing your quotes I might jump on the xpel lol! I don't drive a lot of highway, but when I do I am worried of trashing the bumper. Would be a nice peace of mind.

I wish I would have made a DIY write up, I searched for a while trying to find as much info as I could on the install. And that's what made me put off doing it for so long. Made the job seem bigger than it is. The lip only fits one way, and if you don't want ugly screws in the side of your bumper, the template is a waste of time. It's not hard at all.
I think you may end up going with some xpel very soon
The peace of mind and your bumper will never look a day older

Yep, seriously forget the template guys. cutting it out, lining it up, and taping it is a complete waste of time. I actually preferred drilling the holes while the lip was on. This way i know exactly where the lip wants to sit and i can comfortably drill the holes.

I should definitely take some pictures when i do my final install post XPEL.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:47 PM
JohnnyD

GeezerB,

The only part of the OEM hardware we ARE NOT using are the 2 screws that need to be drilled into the side of the bumper (visible and ugly.)

Gia,

It looks that way lol. Just if I can get him to remember/honor that rough quote he gave me, it was a while back. I too drilled the holes while the lip was attached. Just make sure the lip is flushed up against the bumper everywhere and you're good. Piece of cake. Definitely post pics! I'm having horrible problems with my iPhone 6+ camera as it won't focus. It is also distorting the images somehow. Apparently a big problem with these phones. Otherwise I would add some of my lip. I have a couple a friend sent that I will add here if I can figure out how to attach it without it being upside down.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:57 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
GeezerB,

The only part of the OEM hardware we ARE NOT using are the 2 screws that need to be drilled into the side of the bumper (visible and ugly.)

Gia,

It looks that way lol. Just if I can get him to remember/honor that rough quote he gave me, it was a while back. I too drilled the holes while the lip was attached. Just make sure the lip is flushed up against the bumper everywhere and you're good. Piece of cake. Definitely post pics! I'm having horrible problems with my iPhone 6+ camera as it won't focus. It is also distorting the images somehow. Apparently a big problem with these phones. Otherwise I would add some of my lip. I have a couple a friend sent that I will add here if I can figure out how to attach it without it being upside down.
Try saving those images to your computer and than rotating them clockwise or counter-clockwise and save it. Than upload it to photobucket or imgurl

Time to jump to the Galaxy S6, lol jk I'm having issues with my GS6 randomly dropping phone calls on T-Mobile network.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Chin Spoiler Install