Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Head Light project

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Head Light project

So after talking with Tony (tonyHTX) last night and seeing the headlight he's been working on I decided its about time I tackled it myself.

First I m going to admit that I am absolutely terrified of any kind of electrical work and on top of that baking my headlights.

I have 08 G35x Sedan (non-AFS) headlights

Here is my plan of attack:
Housing will be painted Black Sapphire Metallic w/ clear coat
Shroud will be replaced with Panamera projector shroud and painted Liq Plat to match the body of the car
Lens swapped to TSX-R or is the STI-R?
CF vinyl wrap the orange side marker
Replace turn signal and parking light to LEDs (iJDMToys)
Morimoto xB LED Angel Eyes 120mm white inside the shroud
Morimoto xB LED Angel Eyes 80mm amber outside the shroud
these will be wired into the parking light

Questions/Concerns:
Am I able to splice 2x Angle eyes together before the in-line voltage regulator, essentially 2x Angle eyes to one in-line voltage regulator then splice the voltage regulator to the parking light or will I need a voltage regulator for each Angle eye and splice 2x voltage regulators into the parking light?

Here is the link to the Angle eyes scroll through the pix to see what I mean:
Morimoto XB LED Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc

Any kind of input or advice will be greatly appreciated as I have never done anything like this before.

I will probably order the stuff either Friday/Saturday and attempt this project all next weekend.

hopefully I will have something that looks like this when I am done, but in my headlight:

Last edited by ChinkyChoy; 08-14-2014 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GFTW (09-24-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Should be a nice look, I really like the panamera shroud. The STiR is the lens you need (TSX is the smaller coupe lens), also be sure to order the butyl sealing tape from TRS while you're there if you weren't already. I'd use the full spacing under the lens for the most blue flicker and sharpest cutoff. I had good luck w/ a light coat of nightshades over the amber side strip, it hides the amber during the day but still lets light through at night.
Look forward to your results.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
well I'm onboard for this, I too was about to tackle my headlights last month but got caught up in family affairs. Hopefully you can manage to take some good detailed pics as it seems like finding anything past "how to open and paint" your lights is nonexistant. I personally havent seen the dual angels, but now you have sparked my interest. Sorry but I cant answer your question about the voltage regulator but goodluck!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Thanks to the both of you I will be ordering the parts

thanks again blnewt for the info!

to make the splicing a little easier I ll be using the scotchlocks.

I ll be sure to take lots of pix along the way since I just moved and I have plenty of room on my living room floor to work.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:17 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

blnewt when you talk about the full spacing are you talking about ordering the lense spacing kit as well?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Im not going to answer for him, but I do know the STiR lenses come with their own spacers which I believe are washers. Ive read in the past where some didnt use them and had issues with the cutoff and colors....Im sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong
Old 08-15-2014, 04:03 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
That is gonna be sick.....want to do my Ducatis headlights when you are done?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Originally Posted by eljoker
That is gonna be sick.....want to do my Ducatis headlights when you are done?
haha gonna hope mine goes well first

parts from TRS ordered!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the spec of the regulator are not given, it would be logical to assume that these regulators are designed for the current of one angel eyes leds due to cost. If you connect two angel eyes leds to a single regulator it will see twice the amount of current, thus twice the amount of dissipated heat.
I would definitely use both regulators to save myself from having to replace it in the future.
ChinkyChoy (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I'm not sure what's included w/ the current STiRs, mine came w/ a thick wire ring for each lens, I tried securing the ring under the lens then tightened the metal hold-down ring and I didn't feel like it was holding very secure so I just made a thicker cardboard spacer. While my cutoff and blue edge is pretty good I think if I used the metal spacer ring (which was about twice as thick as my cardboard) I would have had a sharper cutoff and more intense blue edge flicker.
So yeah, I'd use the maximum spacing that's included w/ your lens. I don't think any extra spacers would need to be ordered unless they're thinner than what I received.
CC, when you get your lenses/spacers I can compare my spacer specs w/ yours if that helps.
Brad
Old 08-16-2014, 12:31 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Sounds good blnewt hope fully they do come with something like daddy mentioned if they do i ll probably end up throwing all of em in there lol
Old 08-16-2014, 03:42 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

anyone have any tips on wiring the halos? i was originally planning on just splicing them into the parking light will that work? i wish i knew enough about doing electrical work to run the wires inside and have a switch but i dont trust myself enough lol.

any tips would be appropriated
Old 08-16-2014, 03:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
anyone have any tips on wiring the halos? i was originally planning on just splicing them into the parking light will that work? i wish i knew enough about doing electrical work to run the wires inside and have a switch but i dont trust myself enough lol.

any tips would be appropriated
I wired my DRLs as per my DIY, just a relay & a switch, simple
Scroll halfway down post #2
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...in-bumper.html
I like it this way because they'll never be powered without the ignition activated and you can just keep them on all the time if you want or switch them off whenever.
ChinkyChoy (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
sounds very nice. Im looking to do something similar. In to see the process and results.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:30 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Thanks again blnewt i ordered all the parts so this weekend i dont have anything planned and will use friday to get my head lights off then all of sat and sun to try and get this figured out.

Quick Reply: Head Light project