G37 Sedan

G37 Sport RWD v AWD - Purchasing Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
My Legacy GT with 19 psi + launch control was a beast off the line.
This year I have 19x10" rears, with Pilot Super Sports. Launching the car is a whole new experience.

Originally Posted by Serpens
There is a Snow-Mode function
My Snow-Mode consists of snow tires and a lifetime of Northeast Winters. But to your point, every little bit really does help. Like ABS, TC and LSD.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpens
There is a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50. It's super helpful . At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.
I'm fairly certain that the snow button does not lock the AWD system into 50/50 torque distribution. It simply retards the throttle response up to 12mph
Old 07-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3322123-post21.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/2835261-post67.html

More argument in this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-button-2.html

That's what I'm basing it on. Can't say I have anything other than those thread posts and anecdotal evidence. I can also say I only used snow mode when wrestling my car out of a parking space or in low speed situations with unplowed snow. Otherwise I didn't bother, as the reduced throttle sensitivity is annoying to me.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Scalpel

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TJI613
Awesome...your comments are on par with my own experiances. However, would like to know what transmissions problems you experianced before you had the transmission reprogram/update.
I have not had any trans issues. From what I read the 2012+ G has updated programming vs earlier years. Those in earlier years had a lot of complaints that were solved with a dealer reprogram that set them to 2012 parameters.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Fishrcutb8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so here's a new point of interest. There is a Sport Edition 6MT. Makes perfect sense, right?

Then there is an AWD Sport which features Paddle shifters, the bolstered seats and larger tires. Still kind of makes sense, except the suspension is different?

Then there is the Sport Appearance which is....um, what, exactly?

And how does one tell the difference between the sport and sport appearance AWD? I saw one advertised (non Infiniti dealer) as an Appearance Version that had the seats and paddles?

Am I the only none confused by this.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You are confused.
  • The Sport Package on the AWD G was appearance-only; (wheels, side-sills, seats, flappy-paddles).
  • The Sport Package on the RWD G actually had performance upgrades; (staggered wheels, big brakes, sport suspension, close ratio steering, limited slip).
  • The 6MT was a separate model G, which had both Sport and Premium Packages by default, along with the manual transmission.

Notice the past tense.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You are confused.
  • The Sport Package on the AWD G was appearance-only; (wheels, side-sills, seats, flappy-paddles).
  • The Sport Package on the RWD G actually had performance upgrades; (staggered wheels, big brakes, sport suspension, close ratio steering, limited slip).
  • The 6MT was a separate model G, which had both Sport and Premium Packages by default, along with the manual transmission.

Notice the past tense.
And just to add a bit more confusion to the mix, the AWD coupe Sport package HAS the big brakes and more performance related suspension
Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 PM
MichaelYYZ
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got a white 2013 G37S M6 Sedan. It's a fantastic car and the handling is superb. If you care about a fun drive, get one of these.

However, even with excellent winter tyres, I was a couple of times stuck in heavy snow and ice last winter, and had to maneuver back and front for a few minutes until I was able to move again, while the rear end of the car was dangerously skidding sideways.

Some manual transmission cars also appear to have problems with the clutch slave concentric cylinder which tends to fail suddenly. With no warnings, the clutch pedal will not lift back from the floor. I have not had this issue; however, if my car is left for a few hours in temperatures below -15 degrees Celsius, the clutch pedal will lift slowly from the floor (like not following the foot). The problem corrects itself after about ten minutes of driving, when the engine and gearbox warm up.

Despite the above, this car is so fun to drive that I would never ever consider an automatic transmission, FWD or AWD car, an ever-growing problem in Canada where MT cars seems to become rara avis.
Attached Thumbnails G37 Sport RWD v AWD - Purchasing Considerations-image.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by MichaelYYZ
Some manual transmission cars also appear to have problems with the clutch slave concentric cylinder which tends to fail suddenly. With no warnings, the clutch pedal will not lift back from the floor. I have not had this issue
I have. Clutch Slave Cylinder was replaced under warranty.

It's very scary when this happens. Hope it never happens again.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Fishrcutb8

You are confused.

Notice the past tense.

Brilliant - thank you.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
And just to add a bit more confusion to the mix, the AWD coupe Sport package HAS the big brakes and more performance related suspension
That's right. And I never understood that. It's almost like the people who made the decision didn't consider those options something a typical sedan owner would want... not that I'm taking it personally or anything.

I would be very content with the G37Sx Coupe (or Q60xS). Very excellent car in OEM trim.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Scalpel

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
G37Xs Vert?

What i would like is a G37Xs VERT. Why does no manufacturer make an awd hardtop convertible?
It would require a double weight penalty with both awd, extra bracing and folding mechanism. I would think that with intensive aluminum and titanium weight could be mitigated, and with a 55k price point still be a profitable variant.
The hardtop's big advantage is all-seasonality ( the A4 has an awd soft top), so I can see a niche.
Regardless, maybe Infiniti needs a unique offering even if it is a niche/loss leader. A unique product can introduce new lux shoppers to the brand & spur conquest sales.
Am I the only one that wants a 4 season do it all sport lux ?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scalpel
What i would like is a G37Xs VERT. Why does no manufacturer make an awd hardtop convertible?
It would require a double weight penalty with both awd, extra bracing and folding mechanism. I would think that with intensive aluminum and titanium weight could be mitigated, and with a 55k price point still be a profitable variant.
The hardtop's big advantage is all-seasonality ( the A4 has an awd soft top), so I can see a niche.
Regardless, maybe Infiniti needs a unique offering even if it is a niche/loss leader. A unique product can introduce new lux shoppers to the brand & spur conquest sales.
Am I the only one that wants a 4 season do it all sport lux ?
BMW would love to sell you a 435i or 428i xdrive convertible.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:35 PM
bjtheman1

I just got a 2011 G37S this past week and after too considering the AWD models I couldn't pass up the sport. Coming from a Roush 427R I wanted something with a good suspension and handling package for a V6, this car is pretty good better than I expected actually. Plus, the upgraded big brakes are a huge bonus in my opinion!

Living in TX was another reason I didn't go for the AWD as well, not enough bad weather to need it. Surprisingly, I found more AWD models for sale around here than the sport.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:39 PM
MichaelYYZ
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have. Clutch Slave Cylinder was replaced under warranty.

It's very scary when this happens. Hope it never happens again.
What happened to me, though, when I left the car outside in very cold temperatures below -15-20 degrees Celsius for several hours, was that the clutch pedal would lift too slowly from the floor - basically not following the foot. This happened for about ten minutes of driving until everything became warm inside. I usually keep the car in an underground garage, so this symptom happened to me only a couple of times when I left the car outside.

My dealer says "let's monitor the situation" - I had to leave the car at the dealership overnight in February in freezing cold to demonstrate the symptom - but I don't know what I will do to them if my car breaks down in frigid weather and I'm stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

What was the mileage on your car when the clutch concentric slave cylinder failed? I am at 20,700 km.

Quick Reply: G37 Sport RWD v AWD - Purchasing Considerations