G37 Sedan

G37 Sport RWD v AWD - Purchasing Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have owned an Lexus IS 350 AWD and that's the car I would say is closest in driving feeling to the G37x. However I would still pick the Infiniti first.

The other problem is that the Lexus is terribly overpriced for no reason - much like BMW and Apple products.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yazovets
I have owned an Lexus IS 350 AWD and that's the car I would say is closest in driving feeling to the G37x. However I would still pick the Infiniti first.

The other problem is that the Lexus is terribly overpriced for no reason - much like BMW and Apple products.
Biggest problem for me with the IS was the lack of headroom. IS-F would be my ideal car had it 3-4 more inches.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Not to mention the back seat room is really tight in the IS. And the doors don't have that solid thud when you shut them (at least that applies to the 250).
Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Fishrcutb8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blnewt hit the nail on the head - I REALLY didn't like the way the door felt when I closed it on the IS. I was in the 250, so I can't speak to the 350. And, the price is much higher for a similarly equipped car. I get that Lexus retains value, but it just seems silly to me to spend that much more for a car that is not that much superior.

Also, I started a buying thread, if anyone has any advice on purchasing. Thanks again.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/buying-...ml#post3801230

Last edited by Fishrcutb8; 07-14-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Adding link to buying thread.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Scalpel

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
be realistic

If you are driving 40k a year the reality is that the majority of that will be hours of straight line highway cruising, not at-the-limit cornering. Get the awd with nothing bigger than 18's. For the kind of weather we see in the NE and the mileage you are doing it is the only way you will keep your sanity. If you are not drifting and doing burnouts then the fwd will almost never even activate in an X unless you are slipping in rain or snow.I am in Rochester NY and have had both a BMW 528I and G8 GT sport with snows. Yes you can make it work but plan on many white knuckle trips. I also drive 40k a year and my 12 G37x is a dream. The trans update/reprogram works well for me in sedate driving but I do plan on installing the paddle shifters for just a few hundred dollars.
My G8 GT Sport with 19's had what I thought was ideal ride/handling balance. That is until I had to do regular 5 hour trips to Erie PA. When you are doing those kinds of miles routinely all of a vehicle's faults are magnified. Potholes under stiff suspension become painful, physically and mentally, when you consider the beating your baby is taking with lo - pros. I ended up so sick of it i sold my G8 to get a more comfortable ride and went to the other end of the spectrum with a Murano. Even on all seasons it was amazing in the winter. Of course I missed the handling, but found the perfect compromise with the 37x.
Plus, the truth is your colleagues will judge you based on what you drive.
For those of us up north that drive a lot, a weekend/summer car is almost a requirement for an enthusiast. When your driving is 90% straight line cruising, don't buy a 10% car.
I sold my CTS for reliability issues, plus the handling was ponderous. I spent extended time with MB E's and C's and they were awful. You are so isolated you have no idea what the front tires are doing. To be in even the same cost ballpark you get no features, fake leather and ridiculous episiotomy costs. Same for the A4; completely numb.
The bmw 3 is great but reliability is poor.
I spent a week in a new 14 CTS awd turbo Sedan and it really is a special vehicle that handles much smaller than its size and is beautiful in n out. I had such a bad taste in my mouth from my prior CTS I just couldn't feel good about another Caddy. Let alone convince the wife. Reliability though is an unknown for that new model.
If you must go with the one car solution, the G37x is a very happy compromise and I couldn't be happier with mine.
The following users liked this post:
ciscoizi (07-23-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Scalpel

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Repair auto-corrects to episiotomy? ...
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was at this cross road as well but quickly decided on the awd version. I live in chicago and the streets are a grid here. Nothing but north to south, east to west streets so I don't get to see turns or hills where I live. Plus winter does get pretty bad here especially the last few years so I had to go with the awd. My neighbor drives a m35x and told me how easy it was driving around last winter on all weather tires. He had no issues where as he had to go save his wife a few times with the fwd car she drives. I also get to break the tires loose on sharp turns and can actually feel the power being transferred around through the awd system. It's still a fun car that I probably will love when the snow hits.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:41 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I sold my xS sedan last summer and bought a 6MT. I guess that tells you how I feel about it. I drive the 6MT S in Colorado winters without any particular problems.

Pretty much love it every time I drive the car.

Greg
Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
6MT ALL the way ! If you can still get your hands on one! I got mine last year and I love it, so much more engaged in your driving and a lot more fun with the 6MT.

I think I wouldn't enjoy 7AutoTragic even half as much as I do my 6MT
Old 07-15-2014, 04:01 PM
TJI613

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scalpel
If you are driving 40k a year the reality is that the majority of that will be hours of straight line highway cruising, not at-the-limit cornering. Get the awd with nothing bigger than 18's. For the kind of weather we see in the NE and the mileage you are doing it is the only way you will keep your sanity. If you are not drifting and doing burnouts then the fwd will almost never even activate in an X unless you are slipping in rain or snow.I am in Rochester NY and have had both a BMW 528I and G8 GT sport with snows. Yes you can make it work but plan on many white knuckle trips. I also drive 40k a year and my 12 G37x is a dream. The trans update/reprogram works well for me in sedate driving but I do plan on installing the paddle shifters for just a few hundred dollars.
My G8 GT Sport with 19's had what I thought was ideal ride/handling balance. That is until I had to do regular 5 hour trips to Erie PA. When you are doing those kinds of miles routinely all of a vehicle's faults are magnified. Potholes under stiff suspension become painful, physically and mentally, when you consider the beating your baby is taking with lo - pros. I ended up so sick of it i sold my G8 to get a more comfortable ride and went to the other end of the spectrum with a Murano. Even on all seasons it was amazing in the winter. Of course I missed the handling, but found the perfect compromise with the 37x.
Plus, the truth is your colleagues will judge you based on what you drive.
For those of us up north that drive a lot, a weekend/summer car is almost a requirement for an enthusiast. When your driving is 90% straight line cruising, don't buy a 10% car.
I sold my CTS for reliability issues, plus the handling was ponderous. I spent extended time with MB E's and C's and they were awful. You are so isolated you have no idea what the front tires are doing. To be in even the same cost ballpark you get no features, fake leather and ridiculous episiotomy costs. Same for the A4; completely numb.
The bmw 3 is great but reliability is poor.
I spent a week in a new 14 CTS awd turbo Sedan and it really is a special vehicle that handles much smaller than its size and is beautiful in n out. I had such a bad taste in my mouth from my prior CTS I just couldn't feel good about another Caddy. Let alone convince the wife. Reliability though is an unknown for that new model.
If you must go with the one car solution, the G37x is a very happy compromise and I couldn't be happier with mine.
Awesome...your comments are on par with my own experiances. However, would like to know what transmissions problems you experianced before you had the transmission reprogram/update.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishrcutb8
But, I drive 30-40k+ miles per year
IMO, that statement trumps everything, and demands a high-mileage, comfortable sedan as equal priorities. Particularly if you're driving clients and co-workers around.

Take a look at the base model Lincoln MKZ. Stunningly beautiful inside and out (that azz!!), an upscale interior, with a high-mileage 2.0L 4cyl engine, and a very cushy ride.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Volvo S60 is very small, so I can't recommend it VS. the G37 if part of its regular purpose is hauling clients. For a drivers car, or family with a couple small kids, V60 would be great.

In addition to the MKZ recommendation above, I'd also give the Taurus SHO an honest shot.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
OP, IF you get a G sedan, get the 6MT. No doubt you will be pleased.

That said, it does seem a more commute friendly car would better suit your needs, and IMO an accord or camry would likely serve much better in that regard (considering comfort, economy, space, etc.)

Good luck in your search

Originally Posted by Rochester
Take a look at the base model Lincoln MKZ. Stunningly beautiful inside and out
I hope you mean this in the same kind of way as when the guy tells Elaine that she's "breath taking"
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by 604
Biggest problem for me with the IS was the lack of manual transmission
Fixed
Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
I hope you mean this in the same kind of way as when the guy tells Elaine that she's "breath taking"

No, actually. I think the current model MKZ is gorgeous, inside and out. There are a lot of details on this car worth appreciating. Underpowered and overpriced, sure, but when considering cars that get reasonable mileage and are comfortably upscale, it's not bad at all.

Quick Reply: G37 Sport RWD v AWD - Purchasing Considerations