Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Y pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Thanks for the clips, sounds nice after adding the Z1s, has it amplified the cabin drone in the 1500-1800 range?
Yes it has. definitely not as quiet as stock. As of now im very happy though
Old 08-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I installed my Y pipe on top of the Top Speed exhaust this past week. Definitely noticeable; it gets slightly louder and deeper, with a tiny bit more drone at highway speeds when you are accelerating or going uphill. You can almost feel the rumble when starting up since the Y-pipe is under the front seats, awesome! Bad thing is I got a little exhaust leak on the collector side of the Y-pipe so I gotta check it out and maybe re-torque those bolts or get a new gasket.

Oh, and I hope to have my ART pipes installed by the end of the month. Should be the biggest difference yet!
Awesome!!! I just ordered the top speed y pipe, should be here on tuesday so ill post a follow up video of that also. Im so excited.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:01 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Y pipe???

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
Awesome!!! I just ordered the top speed y pipe, should be here on tuesday so ill post a follow up video of that also. Im so excited.
Really looking forward to your thoughts after install, as that was the direction I was probably going to go.
The price is right and it will be a direct match for the y-pipe back exhaust, so assuming the sound is good and noticeably louder, I'll probably do the same.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:00 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Which Y pipe did you go with?
Look forward to clips of the ARTs when you get them installed.
I got an OBX y-pipe off a forum member on the370z.com. I figured since the Y-pipe is the exhaust component with the least gains I was better off investing in ART pipes than getting a top of the line Y-pipe.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-16-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:10 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

I just started my G up today for the first time since finishing my ART pipe install yesterday. Sorry for the delay in reporting back I've had family over, haha. It sounds mean, and in a good way! Definitely louder than with just the top speed exhaust. I have a terrible exhaust rattle though coming from the Y-pipe, it occurs mostly at a cold idle. I think it may be a leak but I'm not too sure. I might have to get the exhaust shop to check it out.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:45 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Y pipe???

About your rattle... When I was getting alignment done, my shop pointed out that the top speed exhaust was VERY close to a rear subframe bolt (on pass side) and could cause a rattle if it touched. Mine didn't rattle or make noise, so he told me not to worry about it. Something to check...
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuzz311:
Mattlorentzoe (09-02-2015), takeapieandrun (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 PM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find the motivation to get back underneath and check it out, I can put up with it for a short while at least.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:03 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Lobuzz you were completely right, I started the car up on jack stands today to pinpoint the rattle and lo an behold after getting under and looking it was coming from exactly where you said.

The subframe bolt sits squarely on top of the exhaust hanger, my y pipe installation must have moved the top-speed exhaust a fraction of an inch into a different position to cause this rattle at 2k RPM. It's pretty tight in there so I'll probably have to drop the muffler to trim the bolt. Sigh, more work lol.. Maybe I'll just try putting some exhaust wrap on the contact point.
afrayedknot (05-29-2019)
Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 AM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Glad you got it figured out.
I thought about trimming the bolt as well, although that is a tricky proposition assuming you ever want to take off the nut on said bolt. You'd have to figure out a way to cut it off without ruining the threads. Short of putting the bolt onto a lathe, I've not come up with a good solution.
In the meantime, you can probably get away with exhaust wrap, like you mentioned...
Old 09-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I just started my G up today for the first time since finishing my ART pipe install yesterday. Sorry for the delay in reporting back I've had family over, haha. It sounds mean, and in a good way! Definitely louder than with just the top speed exhaust. I have a terrible exhaust rattle though coming from the Y-pipe, it occurs mostly at a cold idle. I think it may be a leak but I'm not too sure. I might have to get the exhaust shop to check it out.
I have a bad rattle also
Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Can kind of hear it on this video. Ill have to post a video of underneath idle where its the worst.

Also heres the dyno video where stock y pipe is on and no rattle........case in point, top speed y pipe equals rattle. im currently trying to return exhuast and go different route.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:24 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

It could be the shape of the Top Speed Y pipe is slightly pushing your exhaust one way or the other until the exhaust towards the back of the car is touching the subframe bolt. For me it was getting unbearable, the exhaust tape trick didn't help at all.

I jacked up the rear of the car on jackstands, and dropped the passenger side muffler. I found out that the offending bolt looks a lot like this where there is a short unthreaded part at the end. This was perfect because I could avoid ruining the threads but still cut some of the bolt off. It was hard because I was on my back under the car with a drill and a cutting wheel above me, damn that was a shoulder workout, lol. After a lot of breaks and what felt like forever I finally cut maybe 1/4" to 1/3" off. Now I have zero rattle

Y pipe???-fhp7cfl.jpg

Now my setup only has an annoying rasp around 2.5k RPM which I attribute to a probable leak on the collector-ART pipe flange, sigh. Always something.. haha
blnewt (09-06-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Im going to have that looked at today to try and get rid of the rasp. I called top speed since they wouldnt return my emails, and they only have a 14 day return policy and even then it has to be in excellent condition plus a 20% restocking fee AND you have to pay to ship it back. LOL. They got me plus i paid $150 to have it put on. And as far as the rasp, I have that too. Do you have high flow cats? Do you hear the rasp alot inside the car?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

I have ART pipes so most people say it should be 90% rasp free but the rasp is really really noticeable, I'd say twice as much with the windows down. Honestly besides the raspy range from like 2.5-3K rpms the rest of the exhaust sounds amazing so I can see some light at the end of the tunnel haha. Hopefully next time I get a free weekend I can get back under the car.

And as for your rasp, I can totally sympathize. For me its coming from the ART pipes I'm almost certain. But I wouldn't count the Y pipe out either because I'm going from a 3" to a 2.5" which I know should be causing some air turbulence. I hope you get it sorted out with Top Speed because their exhaust has treated me well for the last year and I was considering their Y pipe too.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:14 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Sorry for the very late update - I switched from silicone RTV to seal the header-cat flange to the Z1 motorsport gaskets. My rasp is 90% gone now, it is music to my ears! Since I'm never done tinkering I'm probably going to look into getting a 2.5" y pipe now, as I feel the 3" -> 2.5" transition is causing some drone.

Quick Reply: Y pipe???