Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Canadian Car DRL Disable

Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Drive Clean
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts
Canadian Car DRL Disable

Hey guys,

I was wondering, has anyone on here disabled the headlight as a DRL on the Canadian version of the 2012 G37 sedan?

From what I've read, the American G's can turn on and off the headlights with a switch, however the Canadian models have the parking light and headlight as a DRL.

Im trying to do this because I have oneighty custom headlights, and they have the halos wired into the parking light, meaning they are used as DRLs, and I want to run the halos without the headlight being on as well.

If anyone has any info on this please let me know!

Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 AM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
While I can't help, I find it pretty funny... we here in the US are trying to figure out how to get DRLs and you're trying to turn them off!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Drive Clean
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side
Old 07-27-2015, 03:24 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been searching and I can't find the answer.

Has no one figured out how to successfully disable the DRL's on the G37?

Just like the OP I have a Canadian car.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:01 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by slowbird
I've been searching and I can't find the answer.

Has no one figured out how to successfully disable the DRL's on the G37?

Just like the OP I have a Canadian car.
Best place to start is here

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Coupe/2012/EXL.pdf

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2012/EXL.pdf

Telcoman
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I know on my last car there was a DRL specific fuse, if you pulled that it might fix your issue.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:37 AM
brianwetzel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so everyone in the US understands why we want to disable them, Infinity decided to turn all the exterior lights on all the time on the 2010 and up G37 and all the light switch on the column does is turn on the dash lights. I hate that my headlights and rear lights are always on but there is no way to disable it as the computer is changed to control it. There is a DRL relay but that is part of the complete system and pulling it also disables the lights. If you compare the wiring diagram of the US and Canada cars you will see the amount of work Infiniti seems to have done to ultimately just turn all the lights on all the time is unbelievable.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Originally Posted by brianwetzel
Just so everyone in the US understands why we want to disable them, Infinity decided to turn all the exterior lights on all the time on the 2010 and up G37 and all the light switch on the column does is turn on the dash lights. I hate that my headlights and rear lights are always on but there is no way to disable it as the computer is changed to control it. There is a DRL relay but that is part of the complete system and pulling it also disables the lights. If you compare the wiring diagram of the US and Canada cars you will see the amount of work Infiniti seems to have done to ultimately just turn all the lights on all the time is unbelievable.
Your tail lights aren't on all the time, just headlights and parking lights. Tail lights go on when you switch to the on position, or if it's in auto and it senses it's dark enough. The stalk has no affect on our headlights other than to turn the high beams on.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:05 PM
brianwetzel

I disagree and just sent outside and confirmed. All of my lights are always on including the rear LED's. Do you have a different name for them?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

I disagree and just sent outside and confirmed. All of my lights are always on including the rear LED's. Do you have a different name for them?
What position is the left stalk in? My tail lights aren't on unless I turn them on or the auto setting is on and it's dark enough. You're not talking about the license lights or something are you?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:43 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
just the front DRL are on for me. no other exterior illumination. parking, low/high beam, taillights, licence plate (etc) lighting all require lights to be switched on. or if in auto setting, it has to be dark enough outside.

to be honest, the combination of DRL and the backlit instrument clusters on today's cars are a safety concern as it leads many naive/thick-headed drivers to think they have their head/parking/tail lights on. most older vehicles required the lights to be turned on for the cluster to be illuminated. people got used to that. now, with DRL and backlit clusters, i see dozens of cars driving around in the dark with nothing but their DRL on - so very hard to see from behind or from the side. but of course their clusters are lit up so they think all is well. no amount of 'flashing' of my lights seems to snap them out of their trance. hey, i'm just trying to help...

if we mandate DRL, can we not mandate the auto-on function as well? this would solve the problem. this way DRL would be on when safe (enough sunlight not to trigger auto-on), all lights on when auto-on is triggered, or all lights on when the driver wants to go above and beyond the minimum.

Last edited by canucklehead; 07-29-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:17 PM
brianwetzel

What year is your car? As I posted, this started for the 2010 year when they changed the front lights and fog lights. My 2010 does have the rear round LED's always on with all the rest of the lights with the switch on OFF, but they are also all on with all the other settings, just the dash lights dim when the switch is changed to ON or AUTO if it is dark enough.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

What year is your car? As I posted, this started for the 2010 year when they changed the front lights and fog lights. My 2010 does have the rear round LED's always on with all the rest of the lights with the switch on OFF, but they are also all on with all the other settings, just the dash lights dim when the switch is changed to ON or AUTO if it is dark enough.
Turns out I was incorrect, when I checked it on my car the other day I had the parking brake on, and the rear lights don't turn on until the parking brake is released, like the headlights. You were correct, all exterior lights on at all times the car is on with the parking brake released. I learned something new about my car today.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 AM
slowbird
Registered Member

Wow. So the rear lights are on all the time too? Great. Now I really wanna disable them.

So pulling the DRL relay will kill all our lights? Is that correct?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:24 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

So I yanked the DRL relay to see what would happen. The front lights still function the same. They are still on all the time except for the fogs.
The only difference was the rear tail lights weren't on....and they wouldn't turn on even when fully activating the headlights.

Now another member on here has a 2009 and his DRL's are his fogs only.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...e-as-drls.html

Looking at the 2 schematics for the DRL's for those 2 different years you can see the difference.

I wonder if the DRL relays are swappable? EDIT: (on second thought I don't think that makes any sense)
Attached Thumbnails Canadian Car DRL Disable-drl2009.png   Canadian Car DRL Disable-drl2012.png  

Last edited by slowbird; 08-08-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Canadian Car DRL Disable