Sponsored by:

'09 G37x - no start, LOW oil p0340 - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by sal81
I definitely am learning a very painful lesson here. I got a call from the place the car is at now - they guy things the timing chain is stretched?

Going to have to pay him $1350 for rotors and brakes he already replaced and his diagnostics and a new cam sensor.

Then what, do I have it towed to Infiniti and have them diagnose in the hopes that they can fix it? How much are we talking here to replace the engine?
Sorry to say, a stretched timing chain doesn't happen unless internal friction has built up to the point the crank and cam weren't working together. I suspect a new engine from an Infiniti dealer will be in the neighborhood of $10K. It's worth knowing they will reuse all the engine ancillary systems- alternator, ignition, a/c, etc.- so those parts will not be brand new and could fail in the future. If it does come down to replacing the engine, you might consider a salvage or rebuilt engine. And before you ask, I have no idea what the price or availability would be in your part of the country.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Yikes man sorry. I would look into a low mileages used motor or just build yours. Engine build time?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the car is 5 years old with 115k miles, it might be in your best interest to source a used engine to get it running until you decide to get rid of the car. You can get an idea of what that might cost by checking LKQ, but I imagine it'll be much lower than $10k.

LKQ Corporation - Parts Search

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
sal81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to get a more concrete diagnosis of the problem other than getting readings showing that the timing appears to be retarded by a few degrees?

I should mention that they did say they could try replacing the ECU but that their hunch is a stretched timing chain.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:06 PM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Just recently another member posted that you can have your car serviced at a nissan dealership instead of infiniti at a rate of $53/h less, just for your future reference. Since it's already at infiniti you might as well wait until they diagnose it and depending on what they quote you an alternative would be to look into buying a used engine. I saw some recently with ~30k miles for $3k, shipping included. Getting it installed would be another story because I know of only one person locally that I would trust to do this job and he is a master technician with years of experience. I'm guessing anywhere from $2500-4000 for the install but really it all depends what is wrong with your engine and how much the fix will be.

I managed to ruin my last car in a similar way. I also had over 100K miles and used a light weight oil combined with me driving it hard as usual during the summer, it ate all of the oil in one month! I only found out while I was driving and heard ticking. I could have replaced the engine but I ended up just selling it for what the parts I upgraded on the car were worth and getting my infiniti.

also, what is up with that mechanic changing your rotors and brakes lol? Did you bring it in for that or ask him to do that or authorize it? I've never brought my car to a mechanic to check out the engine and come back to a $1300 bill for brake work lol.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM
miketyler
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
20K on Mobil 1 was not the problem, the engine run with only 2 Qt oil was.
No, that was not my point. I was explaining how running 20kmiles on any of the same oil could lead to low oil or a sludged condition which assumably, the OP is experiencing now. Actually, a newer engine might have come away unscathed - a better question might be how many other oil changes did the car miss before this time? It is at 115k miles...
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Kind of funny, but kind of totally serious, too...

OP's next car:

No oil changes required
Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
No oil changes required
Yes... in case the OP doesn't see the obvious. Considering what happened, that's possible.

I think the Leaf is cute.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Car are not to be cute, Really LOL Like a box of kittens.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM
sal81

I do feel a bit slighted about the whole brake situation. They told me first and foremost that they got the engine running without the cam sensors, so it wasn't seized, and that the sensor needed replacement. They then told me about the rotors/brakes/calipers in rear needed replacement. I supplied the rotors and brakes, and had them overnighted (assuming they would have had the sensor replaced by then as they said)....after overnighting them the rotors and pads, they told me that they got the wrong part (sensor) twice, and that they are getting the correct one overnighted. Apparently my rotors and brakes showed up first so they worked on that - then installed the new sensor....then told me I need new engine.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:15 PM
sal81

Driving a Leaf at this point is probably what I deserve. But I do love the way my G37 drove. Fingers crossed. Would love to get another 30k miles out of it. Is the VQ37VHR an interfering or non-interring motor?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Car are not to be cute, Really LOL Like a box of kittens.
A few million Mini and Beetle owners would dis...

No, wait. That doesn't help.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Driving a Leaf at this point is probably what I deserve. But I do love the way my G37 drove. Fingers crossed. Would love to get another 30k miles out of it. Is the VQ37VHR an interfering or non-interring motor?
The VQ37VHR is an interference engine. That shouldn't be an issue unless the timing chain actually broke or slipped significantly. That could result in valves being bent as the piston moved up on the compression stroke.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:40 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Most engines these days are the interference type, so very likely - yes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Just wanted to say I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'm an idiot - plain a simple. I never really understood the consequences of not "getting around to" an oil change - never in a million years did I think it the oil level would drop 3 quarts in 20k miles. Why I choose to learn lessons the hard way in life - I will never know.

I can only hope at this point, that I get better news from the Infiniti dealership. I intend to have the car towed to the nearest one WITHOUT telling them that I have been told that the engine is bad by the previous mechanic. I would rather have Infiniti diagnose it and reach their own conclusions.

My plan is to go pay the "AAA" certified repair place the $1350 and say thanks for nothing (the "master-tech" that was working on my car is technically off today - I'm told he stopped in early this morning to look at the car once more and concluded that the timing chain was stretched, then went home and had someone in the front office call me to tell me the bad news...this guy proceeded to tell me they can fix it by replacing the engine with an $11,900 jasper? motor....obviously trying to get car out of there asap) I asked how the guy that called me how the tech came to that conclusion, and he said: 1. because the engine runs without both cam sensors installed and 2. because of the abnormal readings that he gets when the cam sensors are installed.

The only thing that is giving me some hope is that the engine really did seem to run fine, it idled fine, purred like a kitten...no engine knocking, no loss of power, etc. The knocking noise I referenced in my OP is sporadic and is not originating from the engine. Also the occasional start and stalls that I experienced seem to be pretty common on the '09 G37's (based on google research). Either way I learned my lesson - just hope it doesn't force me into buying a new car right now. I'm not prepared for that.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate it.
Sorry to hear of your woes there Sal. I hope everything works out. I wouldn't even look into rebuilding the old engine (at this time). The best bet and cheapest labor wise would be to get an engine from a wrecked car and have it transplanted into yours if you're going to keep it. They usually go from $3,500- $5k, depending on condition. You could save the existing engine if you're looking to go to a twin turbo setup at some point.

I've gone 19k on my oil before but I ALWAYS keep two spare quarts of Amsoil in my trunk and I check the oil monthly and top off as needed. The oil does gradually burn off due to evaporation and small amounts getting into the combustion chamber, although not enough to smell or smoke.

Learned that lesson on my first G35 Coupe when taking it to the dealer, they informed me that I was two quarts low.

Keep us posted and all the best of luck to you my friend.

Quick Reply: '09 G37x - no start, LOW oil p0340 - HELP