Body Interior Exterior Lighting

JDM sedan tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by jgronline
Here are some pictures I found at an Australian JDM import site. The red surrounding the reverse lights appear to be darker than the US spec.
Good job. To me it looks like the reverse lens is the same as the US spec, and only appears darker because the JDM tails are lighter than US spec. If that's the case, then there are no "JDM Reverse Lenses" to match. That seems... odd.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:44 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I agree. They do seem darker...US spec. But, as Rochester points out, that doesn't seem right.

Why have two different colors for the tails? It doesn't match.

On the other hand, it may explain why we have very little trouble locating the JDM tails but have come up empty for the reverse. In my experience, as I'm sure it has been yours, if there's money in it, it's for sale on the 'net.

Sean
Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's 1st Gen G35. But good point about trolling ebay.

Also not looking for an immediate thing, rather a visual mod that I can plan for 2016.
John if you're looking for JDM tails let me know. I have two guys in Japan that can source them for you. Usually winds up about $250 for the tails off auction but for the inners they may need to buy them from Nissan over there. Unknown what that would cost.

I can tell you that mine match now that I had them midnighted... BUt I don't think that's the route you want to go.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I can tell you that mine match now that I had them midnighted... BUt I don't think that's the route you want to go.
You're correct in that guess, Chris. I don't want them midnighted (new word, FTW! ) Point in fact, one of the things that appeals to me about them is that the plastic is a less severe red than the non-JDM tails. Applying a Midnight coating defeats that quality.

I came away from the meet-up thinking that I really like the JDM tails... which I do. But if the plastic looks different from the red in the backup light assembly, then that's a hard-stop for me. The more I try and dig into this, the more I'm coming to the conclusion there are no JDM backup lenses.

Bummer.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

You're correct in that guess, Chris. I don't want them midnighted (new word, FTW! ) Point in fact, one of the things that appeals to me about them is that the plastic is a less severe red than the non-JDM tails. Applying a Midnight coating defeats that quality.

I came away from the meet-up thinking that I really like the JDM tails... which I do. But if the plastic looks different from the red in the backup light assembly, then that's a hard-stop for me. The more I try and dig into this, the more I'm coming to the conclusion there are no JDM backup lenses.

Bummer.
I think that there are, we just can't get to them easily. Trust me when I tell you it is difficult to source parts. In other countries you need the correct VIN in order to pull part numbers. When I was searching for the switch panel with folding button cutout we had to get a VIN from Dubai to use in Amsterdam to get a part number. Then I had to order the part in Amsterdam but they wouldn't ship it outside of Amsterdam so I had to have it picked up and then delivered to the US by a coworker.

Since the majority of the color difference in the tails is the amber turn I think most folks just deal with the inners and don't worry about it. I'll talk to the guys in Japan and see if they can send some photos of their inners and tails as a comparison.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Since the majority of the color difference in the tails is the amber turn I think most folks just deal with the inners and don't worry about it. I'll talk to the guys in Japan and see if they can send some photos of their inners and tails as a comparison.
If the JDM inners actually are different (and I don't think they are), that would be an opportunity for niche parts importers to upsell these tails. Then again, the $250 entry point just got blown out of the water, too. Taking that into consideration, I still have a sad.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

If the JDM inners actually are different (and I don't think they are), that would be an opportunity for niche parts importers to upsell these tails. Then again, the $250 entry point just got blown out of the water, too. Taking that into consideration, I still have a sad.
But once you install them you will have a happy so it all works out.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:22 PM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is what my g 09 looks like. I didn't do this mod previous owner did, I believe he swapped the bulb to orange.
Attached Thumbnails JDM sedan tail lights-image.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by claudiohv; 09-05-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 PM
DenserAsteroid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by claudiohv
This is what my g 09 looks like. I didn't do this mod previous owner did, I believe he swapped the bulb to orange.
Thanks for the visual. That looks much better than the stock red bulb. It's much cheaper to change the bulb than swap the tails for JDM tails and it gives it the same effect.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:43 PM
OBJ

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Is this halogen or LED?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 PM
DenserAsteroid

So changing the bulbs pretty much has the same effect as swapping the tails for the JDMs but costs much less. It would also solve the problem of the reverse lens not matching the tails.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by DenserAsteroid
So changing the bulbs pretty much has the same effect as swapping the tails for the JDMs but costs much less. It would also solve the problem of the reverse lens not matching the tails.
No. There is amber in the JDM lens. Look at it unlit.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 PM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got LEDs!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM
DenserAsteroid

No. There is amber in the JDM lens. Look at it unlit.
I know that. That's why I said it pretty much has the same effect. Changing the bulb still gives you the amber turn signal which would stand out much more than the stock red halogen bulb.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by DenserAsteroid
I know that. That's why I said it pretty much has the same effect. Changing the bulb still gives you the amber turn signal which would stand out much more than the stock red halogen bulb.
The driver never sees a lit turn signal. Can't imagine why anyone would care. IMO, the point of the JDM lens is how it looks on the car by introducing a different color plastic and an amber turn signal lens. The lit signal is irrelevant. I realize that opinion doesn't speak for everyone. Clearly, that logic doesn't work for you, and that's fine.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-09-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: JDM sedan tail lights