Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Wanna transmission fix? Do this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Even better if you can find a smaller vacuum lead and a long hose bought just for this intent. That way you can sit in the driver's seat and feather the throttle while sucking on the Seafoam, and you can do it yourself, without a second pair of hands.

I used the little VIAS vacuum lead on the VQ35 in my old car. Worked like a charm. Although I have no idea where to go with this approach on the VQ37.
Good idea! The brake vacuum host was just the easiest to access for me. Oddly enough, I didn't have the feather the throttle at all. I just sprayed it into the hose and no matter how much I sprayed, I could not get the engine to stall. It bogged down a bit but wouldn't stall, which I thought was interesting.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

For those that are curious, I got my car back from the dealer after the transmission fluid flush. They loaded the latest firmware into the TCM. It took 1 quart of transmission cleaner/conditioner and 15 quarts of Nissan Matic-J, which is made for Nissan/Infiniti by Mobil. That was listed as a customer charge. There was another listing of the same quantities but listed as ******* dealer. Not sure why it's listed like that but maybe this takes up to 30 quarts of matic-J to do the flush??

My throttle bodies have 45k miles since I've cleaned them, but the transmission is much better behaved and smoother.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Twin snails if you dont mind me asking you, how much was the cost for the flush? 15 quarts of Nissan transmission fluid sounds about right.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
For those that are curious, I got my car back from the dealer after the transmission fluid flush. They loaded the latest firmware into the TCM. It took 1 quart of transmission cleaner/conditioner and 15 quarts of Nissan Matic-J, which is made for Nissan/Infiniti by Mobil. That was listed as a customer charge. There was another listing of the same quantities but listed as ******* dealer. Not sure why it's listed like that but maybe this takes up to 30 quarts of matic-J to do the flush??

My throttle bodies have 45k miles since I've cleaned them, but the transmission is much better behaved and smoother.
This is a problem. Those who are using the 7 speed transmission should be using the Matic S fluid, not Matic J. Older models with the 5 speed transmission can use either Matic S or Matic J. Matic S is the new fluid that is supposed to replace Matic J, but from what I've heard, the manual states that Matic S is the only fluid that should be used in the transmission.

The dealer used generic fluid, not OEM Nissan fluid.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rlo
Twin snails if you dont mind me asking you, how much was the cost for the flush? 15 quarts of Nissan transmission fluid sounds about right.
Rlo, I believe it was $219.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
This is a problem. Those who are using the 7 speed transmission should be using the Matic S fluid, not Matic J. Older models with the 5 speed transmission can use either Matic S or Matic J. Matic S is the new fluid that is supposed to replace Matic J, but from what I've heard, the manual states that Matic S is the only fluid that should be used in the transmission.

The dealer used generic fluid, not OEM Nissan fluid.
Oh bloody h3ll. I'm going to call them and make sure they didn't use Matic J. Hopefully it's listed generically and there won't be any problems. Now I'm concerned.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Oh bloody h3ll. I'm going to call them and make sure they didn't use Matic J. Hopefully it's listed generically and there won't be any problems. Now I'm concerned.

This is directly from the 2010 Infiniti G sedan owner's manual:

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/conte...-G37-Sedan.pdf

On Section 8-11, this is what it states:

When checking or replacement is required, we recommend an INFINITI retailer for servicing.

Use only Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF. Do not mix with other fluids.

Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:06 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I looked and saw that in the manual, which has given me the concerned feeling. I wasn't apprised or even aware that there were two versions of the fluid, prior to taking it for the service. That was the reason I had it done at an Infiniti dealer, because it's their product and they should know it best. I'm worried that if I raise the issue as a concern, they'll say, oh we put Matic S in there, even if they used Matic J. And I have no way of verifying that personally.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

I looked and saw that in the manual, which has given me the concerned feeling. I wasn't apprised or even aware that there were two versions of the fluid, prior to taking it for the service. That was the reason I had it done at an Infiniti dealer, because it's their product and they should know it best. I'm worried that if I raise the issue as a concern, they'll say, oh we put Matic S in there, even if they used Matic J. And I have no way of verifying that personally.
From experience, dealers who flush using genuine true Matic S fluid would cost way more than $200. (Usually in the ballpark of $300 or more.) A quart of Matic S is about $12 or more and having to flush out everything would make it cost a lot.

If your dealer is charging you only $200 for a full flush, then it is likely they're using generic fluid. Many dealers who do a drain and refill with Matic S is only around $160-$170.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Sorry to deviate from the initial topic of your thread Dan. This should really be moved into it's own thread but it's kind of related to 7AT TSB's and service done.

Gonna find out what they have to say about that but my initial reaction is Fack!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Just called the dealer and they said they only do flushes with Matic S fluid.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 PM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
So after reading the beginning of this thread, I was skeptical that the throttle body cleaning would have an effect on the transmission lag issue. I thought there was a bit of the placebo effect going on.

I've got a 2011 G37S with 7AT and I've had the tranny lag ever since I bought the car last July. My car's got 36k on it so far.

Well, I cleaned the bodies today very thoroughly. Took about 15 mins for each one. Mine were fairly dirty, so I cleaned all the gunk up nicely.

Took it for a spin and almost immediately noticed that transmission shifts were a bit snappier and the car felt less "labored" going from 1-2 and 2-3.
I haven't done an ECU reset since the cleaning, but I'm hoping that'll also help a little bit.

So there you have it. It's not a miracle worker, but it may help. Go ahead and clean your throttle bodies
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Jazzmang - Did you leave battery and throttle body connected when you performed cleaning? Did you open butterflies? Any idle issues? Thanks as there is conflicting info on this matter.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM
jazzmang

Yeah, I left everything connected in order to avoid any complications.
I removed the intake flex tubing, then removed the 4 5mm allen bolts to get the throttle body off.
I then cleaned the plenum inlet, the sidewall of the throttle bodies, and the butterfly flapper.
I used some red shop towels and some Valvoline throttle body cleaner from Advance Auto.
Pretty quick job.

The car experienced just a few seconds of higher idle when I first turned it on and gave it a touch of gas while still in park. Went away quickly and all was well
The following 2 users liked this post by jazzmang:
G37XSER (04-14-2014), Rennies5 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 AM
jazzmang

Just wanted to add: In conjunction with the grounding kit, the tranny is substantially better.

The grounding kit isn't a miracle worker either by itself, but it tightened up DS shifts so much that I was actually a bit surprised.
Throttle body cleaning had unintended (good) side effects like more predictable downshifts and smoother downhill coasting.

With these 2 simple mods, the tranny no longer brings negative attention to itself.

Hope this helps some of you!

Last edited by jazzmang; 04-14-2014 at 06:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Wanna transmission fix? Do this!!!