Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by pebkac
I've seen you be helpful on this forum, so I have no idea whats with the attitude.
I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?

The following users liked this post:
pebkac (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
John I went with black Kics for my Rays. I'm second guessing myself and who knows if they'll actually wind up on the car. I like the idea you had about possibly matching the lugs to the calipers but I'm not certain I'll get a decent match unless I go neochrome which I'm on the fence about and still wouldn't be exact. But might be kinda cool.

Do you think you'll be painting your calipers down the road?

I think you're on point with the closed end, I think the bronze lugs would look pretty sharp. Are you looking for a hard pop or just a subtle, hi there?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
John I went with black Kics for my Rays. I'm second guessing myself and who knows if they'll actually wind up on the car. I like the idea you had about possibly matching the lugs to the calipers but I'm not certain I'll get a decent match unless I go neochrome which I'm on the fence about and still wouldn't be exact. But might be kinda cool.

Do you think you'll be painting your calipers down the road?

I think you're on point with the closed end, I think the bronze lugs would look pretty sharp. Are you looking for a hard pop or just a subtle, hi there?
If I ever paint the calipers, that's probably a few years away, likely coinciding with a pad, rotor and brake line upgrade. Since I'm only at 17k miles right now, that's still a ways off on the list of priorities.

Closed end, definitely. I was back and forth on that for a while, but solid by the time I started this thread.

Hard pop? Nope. That would be red, blue, green, gold, etc. I like the bronze because it's more subtle, but still noticeable. That, and I think it works with the moonlight white. And I think the 42mm length is right, considering how deep the sockets are. So I'm feeling pretty good right now about the extended mid-length RAYS, in bronze.

It's the price I'm rolling over in my head. Ain't cheap.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I know you were wanting subtle (or subtler) but these maroon Gorillas aren't too loud, would look good w/ your wheels IMO and the price is right. Always had good experiene w/ the Gorilla products FWIW. Oh, and Maroon calipers look pretty nice on the white/chrome Gs.
Robot Check Robot Check
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
I know you were wanting subtle (or subtler) but these maroon Gorillas aren't too loud, would look good w/ your wheels IMO and the price is right. Always had good experiene w/ the Gorilla products FWIW. Oh, and Maroon calipers look pretty nice on the white/chrome Gs.
Robot Check
Ummmmmmm, no. Too dark, and not digging the little button-cap ends. Those are 100% identical to the pack of lugnuts I bought with the rims, only in maroon.

What it does have going for it is $39, which is far better than the $185+ that I seem to be gravitating towards.

And yes, in all this searching around I've found nothing but good vibes about Gorilla quality.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Ummmmmmm, no. Too dark, and not digging the little button-cap ends. Those are 100% identical to the pack of lugnuts I bought with the rims, only in maroon.

What it does have going for it is $39, which is far better than the $185+ that I seem to be gravitating towards.

And yes, in all this searching around I've found nothing but good vibes about Gorilla quality.
There's just too many to search through but I'll keep looking around, must admit those Rays are pretty hot though.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:25 AM
ninjitsui1

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you Rochester, always like the expensive ****. I'm stuck on color, I usually just go black. But I'm curious if you guys have any suggestion, I'm blue slate and getting gunmetal color wheels, trim is gloss black.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:41 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Do not go for those Rays closed ended lugs. I've had them before and it's true they're junk for the price they're selling it for. Fades really easy, and scratches just putting them on even if you're careful. Congrats on the CVT's
Old 02-22-2014, 02:47 AM
Deelow
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I dig the Work lugs myself. Got me thinking about my future wheel changes and what I might consider as far as type. I think those particular ones in bronze would look awesome against the white car, and the possible future of a maroon caliper paint would really set it off. Seems like a perfect look for your ride. I'm slowly using your template for future upgrades to plan mine out man. LOL. Hope my input helps!
Rochester (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Do not go for those Rays closed ended lugs. I've had them before and it's true they're junk for the price they're selling it for. Fades really easy, and scratches just putting them on even if you're careful. Congrats on the CVT's
Are you referring to the longer 42mm RAYS with the knurled caps in bronze, or the shorties pictured towards the top in the gunmetal finish? And which finish did you have that faded and scratched so easily?

How long did you have them before you started thinking they weren't worth the price? Did you only ever mount and remove them by hand, or did someone bang them up with an impact gun?

Fades? WTF? Did you drive with them on over a northeast winter? Do you live at the end of a dirt road or something?

Yours is the very first downer I've come across on RAYS products.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 AM
destro6MTsedan

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Just got a set of VOSSEN CVT yesterday. Still going to be a few weeks before winter ends and swap them on the car. The question on topic here is lug nuts. Which ones to buy?

Since Need4Speed offered a simple $10 set of chrome-plated steel lug nuts in the package, I got it anyway, in case it takes me too long to figure out what to use long-term. They're quite small, and narrow, with a spline-socket configuration. And they have a little closed, button-cap end to them.

All in all, they're not bad looking. But they're not special, either. And there are not locking nuts. Granted, the spline socket is a bit of a deterrent from theft, but not exactly a locking mechanism.

Here's a picture of one of the rear wheels. Specifically, the passenger side.

Rochester, congrats on pulling the trigger on the 19" CVT's. Can't wait to see them on the G. I went Muteki lugs on mine, but open ended. For the money, I say do it. Quality is really good and there made by Mackin Industries. I went with the titanium finish and they also offer wheel locks in the same finish as well. Hope winter passes by fast so we can see the G in style.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Lots of love here for Muteki lug nuts. Here's a picture of the different finishes available on their standard length, button top, spline drive nuts, costing about $55 set. Note that these are 100% identical in design to the $10 set of chromed, steel nuts that Need4Speed sent me with the rims

For about $75, Muteki also has a knurled edge, flat top, closed end lug nut... their SR35. But it's only 35mm in length, and only comes in the following colors:

Last edited by Rochester; 02-23-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Theres nothing better than a set of fresh Michelin Super Sports on the dining room table. God I love those tires.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I'm convinced OP is Mr. Pitt

Rochester (10-20-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

LOL, Saint ^^^
John, what did they do yo your TPMS stems? did they shorten the amount that extends in the barrel? Can't really tell from the few pics (and you promised you'd shoot some TPMS pics)

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome