Sponsored by:

Why was a Sedan your choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorr
Well when they are buying you the car you don't have much of an option do you?
Nope.

I remember the first car my parents bought me. I wanted a Monte Carlo or a Camaro. I got a 1982 oldsmobile omega, sedan of course.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
It’s amazing to me that in less than a day this typical and overdone “sedan versus coupe” thread has grown to four pages. It’s either post whoring at its shameless height, or some kind of model loyalty that drives some owners to justify their decision to other members. At any rate, this thread should be closed and sent to the posting scrap heap along with countless other threads with a similar theme.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Assuming you're on the level, Razorr, it's probably best not to bring that up again.

Either way, it's certainly bad form to complain about the INFINITI your parents bought for you. Just is, man.
When did I complain exactly? I just said if it was completely up to me I'd get a different vehicle.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM
nissanlvr

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The main reason was practicality. The back seat in the coupe is pretty much useless. I occasionally drive with friends 30+ minutes, and that tiny back seat in a coupe would not allow that. Also, moving the seats each time someone was getting in or out would be a pain. The sedan also has a bigger trunk than the coupe. And, honestly, I like the look of the sedan better. It sort of stands out but blends in at the same time. Coupes to me scream racer, they aren't as classy.

And another thing... To me, a couple tenths of a second to 60 doesn't make a difference in real world driving. But, for people who care about that, the sedan is actually faster than the coupe. The extra reinforcements to the chassis needed for the coupe models makes them heavier. Because of that, G37 sedans are faster than G37 coupes. And they might out handle them too.

The only reason to get a coupe is because A) it's a personal preference on the styling, or B) you just want to show off and get attention. I think for most people, a sedan is better for every day driving. That's why I chose the sedan
Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
It’s amazing to me that in less than a day this typical and overdone “sedan versus coupe” thread has grown to four pages. It’s either post whoring at its shameless height, or some kind of model loyalty that drives some owners to justify their decision to other members. At any rate, this thread should be closed and sent to the posting scrap heap along with countless other threads with a similar theme.
Or... You could lighten up and try to have some fun.

Or... You could simply ignore the thread.

Last I looked, you weren't a mod, Checkov, so relax. Better yet, why did you buy your G37? Come on man, story time.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rochester:
KEG97 (02-14-2014), Lego_Maniac (02-14-2014), RexHavoc (02-15-2014), twin_snails (08-28-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Tim30250

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I really just bought my sedan for a change of pace. I drove exclusively coupes and convertibles (except for one SUV) for the first 15 years of my driving career. Wanted to try something different, and I felt that I may finally be "old" enough for something that advertises luxury more than sport. Glad I made that somewhat arbitrary choice.. I love the comfort, performance, practicality and elegance of the sedan, and I can easily load back seat passengers on the rare occasion I need to.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree that you shouldn't rely on us to justify your purchase, but I don't see the issue with discussing why we chose the G sedan.

Last edited by '11G37S; 02-14-2014 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (08-28-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
When did I complain exactly? I just said if it was completely up to me I'd get a different vehicle.
Lol...just warning ya, when you go onto a luxury car forum talking about your parents buying a brand new car for you, you're going to get some flak from members.

It rubs many the wrong way. I don't have a problem with it. I wish my parents were that wealthy. In college, there were many spoiled students that had BMW M3's and one even drove a Maserati. Many people don't like a privileged kid's attitude lol...

But anyways, I got a sedan because it is more practical than a coupe. I can store more things in the back and can carry more people. It is also cheaper, and insurance rates are lower.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-14-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Razorr

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Lol...just warning ya, when you go onto a luxury car forum talking about your parents buying a brand new car for you, you're going to get some flak from members.

It rubs many the wrong way. I don't have a problem with it. I wish my parents were that wealthy. In college, there were many spoiled students that had BMW M3's and one even drove a Maserati. Many people don't like a privileged kid's attitude lol...

But anyways, I got a sedan because it is more practical than a coupe. I can store more things in the back and can carry more people. It is also cheaper, and insurance rates are lower.
I get it but isn't that just stereotyping, just because my parents bought me a new car doesn't make me spoiled.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

I get it but isn't that just stereotyping, just because my parents bought me a new car doesn't make me spoiled.
Ehh, I'd disagree. Parents spending almost $40k (or more) on their kid for a car is definitely spoiling them lol...The average person does NOT have that luxury.

You might not see it as being spoiled, but you were definitely offered many more privileges that most others don't have. That, IMO, is being spoiled. I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but there really isn't a reason for a parent's child to own a $40k car. If you worked hard and earned money and bought it for your own money, then you wouldn't be spoiled. Tack on insurance premiums, there's another $2k per year.

Only privileged kids wouldn't think this is spoiled. That's my point.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-14-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
This isn't an us vs. them discussion. It's alot friendlier than most of the threads out there on the same subject.

We have a nice sub-discussion going on the quickly forgotten modern version of the GTO, aka 'Vette with a backseat':
Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Ehh, I'd disagree. Parents spending almost $40k (or more) on their kid for a car is definitely spoiling them lol...The average person does NOT have that luxury.

You might not see it as being spoiled, but you were definitely offered many more privileges that most others don't have. That, IMO, is being spoiled. I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but there really isn't a reason for a parent's child to own a $40k car. If you worked hard and earned money and bought it for your own money, then you wouldn't be spoiled. Tack on insurance premiums, there's another $2k per year.

Only privileged kids wouldn't think this is spoiled. That's my point.
My co worker is buying his 15 year daughter, who doesn't even have a license yet, a SUV. His budget is $35k.

He also bitches and complains about how ungrateful she is.

I don't get it.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (08-28-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
My co worker is buying his 15 year daughter, who doesn't even have a license yet, a SUV. His budget is $35k.

I don't get it.
Dude...that's just messed up.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Razorr

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

I don't get it.
It's called loving your children. hehe
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

It's called loving your children. hehe
Not really. You don't have to spend money to show love to your kids. If you discipline them and not spoil them that's also love too. Plus they get to learn how to be independent in the real world (which is far more important life skill.) I would want my kids to make more money than me, not the other way around. I would hope the next generation would be smarter and better than I am. I wouldn't want my future generations to fall apart.

Buying extreme lavish gifts for kids isn't good parenting. You're just teaching them that they can do whatever they want and don't have to work hard for it. Nobody likes a golddigger. (Also, it is easy to make kids happy by buying them gifts.) IMO, that's just lazy and non-sentimental.

I don't want to dictate how parents should treat their kids and it isn't my call to make but seriously, it has been getting out of hand.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-14-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Why was a Sedan your choice?