G37 Sedan

Why was a Sedan your choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:36 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ZGUY85
So I have had this on my mind all night, and for my own sanity and curiosity of others out there with Sedans, I wanted to ask the question...

Why did you choose a Sedan?

Personally I ended up with my 2010 G37S Sedan because the wife and I were thinking about kids sometime in the next few years. At first I fell absolutley in love with the sporty sedan from getgo.

It was either a Honda Accord Sport or the G37... no suprise I chose the G.

Keep in mind prior, I used to drive a pretty nice 79' 280zx.=)
Now, a couple months into owning my G37, I sometimes regret not getting the coupe with not knowing for sure if I am to have kids anytime soon, or thinking I could have managed kids with a coupe.

I would just love to hear from other Sedan owners as to what lead to your decision, and possibly even arguments as to why it was the better choice for different reasons for you personally. Maybee others of you out there have felt this similar.

V/R
zguy85
As others have pointed out the sedan is much more practical. You'll also be able to fit two infant car seats in the rear.
Most important to me was the comfort and the available 6 speed manual
Driving on ice this morning with new Michelin Pilot AS3's was no problem. Having the ability to downshift and avoid using the brakes on ice and snow covered roads is a tremendous safety plus for winter driving.
This vehicle is comfortable when driving 12 hours at a stretch to Florida a couple of times a year.

Telcoman
Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
I grew up in a time where 4-Door cars were called '4-Doors' and carried a stigma that no self respecting car guy wanted a part of...they were frumpy, poorly executed and underpowered/de-featured versions of the more desirable 2-Door model that existed as a viable compromise for people that viewed their car as a means to get from point A to Point B.

Fast forward 20 years and the Sport Sedan hits the market. At first, I approached this market with caution based on my previous 4-door experiences, but was slowly won over by the Bavarian makes and their execution of performance/practicality.

Others soon followed and now the Performance Sedan exists as a cornerstone of the luxury automotive market.

We Americans cannot get enough of anything that allows us to Have our cake and eat it at the same time...
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ZGUY85
Why did you choose a Sedan?
1. Sedan holds more people and stuff when you need the extra room.

2. Sedan is FASTER.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Only by less than a 100 pounds, but yes, the Sedan is lighter than the Coupe.

I almost never have people in the back seat, and when I do, it's usually one or both of my kids. I rarely have need for the larger trunk. And the higher purchase price of the Coupe really wasn't a consideration.

Two reasons: the Sedan just felt more comfortable from the driver's position, both in elbow room and visibility, and the 6Mt Sedan is a rare car. I like the idea of owning something uncommon, even (or especially) if I'm the only one who knows it... This forum notwithstanding.

But if you're just talking about a G37x or Journey, then Coupe... no hesitation in that opinion. Particularly the Coupe xS, because it still gets the Sport suspension and brakes. That, and killer looks. Still, no 6MT, and that's a hard stop.

Then there's the Vert... But I hate convertibles, and I live in a climate where verts are silly (IMO). Plus, the Vert is crazy heavy, and for whatever reason, it doesn't have LSD.

And lastly, the IPL... But that's stupidly overpriced beyond its value, and is pimped out by INFINITY beyond what the design can support. Again, IMO.
<100 lighter, and the coupe has 2more horsepowers to offset that.

This way, when it comes time to go to the lunch, no one ever asks me to drive. The sedan can't do everything the coupe can do, and the coupe has drawbacks of its own. The sedan has more trouble with aggressive wheel fitments, the rear seats don't fold down (structural reasons), the coupe can use a single-canister type exhaust without modification, and the coupe doors auto open and close (depending on what angle you park at).
Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 AM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
I chose the sedan because it portrays more of a grown-up sporty car. Coupes are nice, but I'm not part of that age group anymore.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
and the coupe has 2more horsepowers to offset that.
No offense, but I don't think you can handle 2 extra ponies.
The following users liked this post:
Basikk_ (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
...and the coupe doors auto open and close (depending on what angle you park at).
Haha... yeah, our doors are a lot heavier than those on the sedans. You forgot to mention that the windows automagically lower and raise when you open/close the doors!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't know why I got the sedan It's automatic 1st car I have ever had which is Auto.

My wife already has a small suv and she gave me permission to get whatever. Could've gotten a 13 coupe at the time with 6speed, but I already have a 350z. I guess I went against the grain and went practical, booooooooooo
Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
No offense, but I don't think you can handle 2 extra ponies.
you can't just say "no offense" before saying something offensive and expect to get away with it.
socketz67 (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

you can't just say "no offense" before saying something offensive and expect to get away with it.
I'm sorry, man. I would never insult your intelligence in so far as you would know.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts

This way, when it comes time to go to the lunch, no one ever asks me to drive.
I'm the opposite. I volunteer to drive for lunch so I don't have to get in someone's trash can of a car and fear for my life while they multitask on the drive to lunch.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If i was alllowed to get a coupe i'd get a mustang gt. But i had to get a sedan or else my parents wont let me get a car
Old 02-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Razorr
If i was alllowed to get a coupe i'd get a mustang gt. But i had to get a sedan or else my parents wont let me get a car
Why was a Sedan your choice?-0mw1i8e.gif
BLamb (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
mkmcfrlnd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorr
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I got a sedan so I could put that cool 4DSC sticker in the back quarter window
+1

And the "ease" of having an extra set of doors...The 2 coupes I've had were '94 Eclipse GS-T and '04 GTO. It's just a PITA to fold the front seat forward to get people/things into the back. The worst was the GTO which the mechanism to slide the seat forward was motorized and extremely SLOW!!!! And people always got their belt loop caught on the seatbelt holder..getting strangled by the seatbelt itself was a diferent story. Oh and finally when I get hookers, I like to get more than one at a time and it's easier to just pull up and everyone just get in.... So far the best car is the WRX Wagon...'cause you can fit another in the back. BOGO Wednesdays! WooHoo!

Quick Reply: Why was a Sedan your choice?