Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Beginning Custom Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Beginning Custom Headlights

After much reading and detailed write-ups from all you great people, I finally have what I need for my headlight project.

OSRAM D2s CBI bulbs
STI-R clear lenses
5000k parking lights
5000k switchbacks

I'm keeping it simple with a black housing (keeping the shroud chrome) and wrapping the amber strip in either black or faux carbon fiber vinyl. I'm all about the simplistic look while trying to keep it as close to an OE look as possible. I'm most excited to give these new OSRAM bulbs a try - I've seen much great result from them. Should be very awesome with the STI-R lenses

I was very indecisive as to how I wanted to incorporate a LED DRL into my application. What' I've come up with is using the Morimoto XB-LED ring behind my projector shroud. I'll be drilling out the larger holes (and possible a few of the smaller ones) to see how it looks. I picked up a spare set of shrouds to test on and see how I feel about what the LEDs will look like.

I'll drill it out to see how I feel about how many openings I'd like for the light to shine through. On a side note, has anyone ever used a CCFL ring or LED ring behind their shroud like this? I haven't come across anything regarding this method so I'm curious if any of you all have gave it a shot.

I should be getting my shrouds in a week or two and will begin playing around with the LED output through the openings I will create on the shrouds. Should be interesting. Will keep pics updated on here with my progress on each step.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
This is almost exactly what I plan on doing. Subbed for interest.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like you're doing a great job w/ the legwork, definitely looking forward to your progress, along w/ the rest of your plans. BTW did you also get the Butyl sealing tape?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
+1 on the butyl. Cheap insurance at $30 or so.

If I'm not mistaken, 180 puts their iron man leds behind the shroud.

Cbis + sti-r lenses is a great combo - every single time I drive at night I marvel at the amount of light thrown.

FWIW, I opted to paint the amber side strip with nite shades. It looks black, but still reflects; I wanted to retain some semblance of stock functionality.

Leaving the (Edit -) shrouds chrome is an interesting choice. I'd photoshop that up first.

Last edited by aktif8; 12-15-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 PM
ClickClackSmack

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey I'm running OSRAM D2s CBI bulbs and STI-R clear lenses on my g. Here are some pics for reference

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  photo2-1.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  55.9 KB
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by aktif8
FWIW, I opted to paint the amber side strip with nite shades. It looks black, but still reflects; I wanted to retain some semblance of stock functionality.
+1, that's exactly what I did, just a couple light coats so it's still a bit translucent.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sounds like you're doing a great job w/ the legwork, definitely looking forward to your progress, along w/ the rest of your plans. BTW did you also get the Butyl sealing tape?
Originally Posted by aktif8
+1 on the butyl. Cheap insurance at $30 or so.

If I'm not mistaken, 180 puts their iron man leds behind the shroud.

Cbis + sti-r lenses is a great combo - every single time I drive at night I marvel at the amount of light thrown.

Leaving the (Edit -) shrouds chrome is an interesting choice. I'd photoshop that up first.
I've done many retrofits in the past and I've always used the same product - 10yr clear weatherproof silicon sealant from the hardware store. I can't remember what brand it was but I have never had an issue with making a tight, worry-free seal in the past. I go the extra mile and remove ALL adhesive from the lens and the housing, prep it with a little rubbing alcohol and reseal. I follow up with so more around the perimeter of the seal once I let dry for 48 hours. I'm stubborn for changing methods because I know it works and how reliable it is.

IIRC, I've seen someone with a black housing and they left the shrouds chrome - I'll try to find the picture. I thought it looks pretty good - enough black to chrome ratio, and it'll match my front grille.

The night shade on the amber reflector sounds more practical to me. Do you have a pic? I'd like to check that out.

Just out of curiosity, I want to get am HID kit for my fogs - Morimoto to be exact. Do you fellas know if I need the relay harness for it, or can I just hook it up (with or without a CANBUS adapter)?

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here's a side shot, not the best shot but you can clearly see that it looks well shaded, but the reflector still shows through when light hits it

Sounds like you're well versed in headlight sealing, I removed most of the old sealant, there was some that just was too stubborn though and I was a bit time constrained That silicone should work fine w/ all that prep work
Here's a good thread w/ some DIY light ideas and chrome accents in the shrouds
Matte or gloss? - G35Driver
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Does anyone know if the coupe side marker can work with the same treatment? I'm interested in glossing it in black to maintain the functionality. Can you remove the amber corner? I've heard that it has to be melted out
Old 12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
knowyoutang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I opted to paint the amber side strip with nite shades. It looks black, but still reflects; I wanted to retain some semblance of stock functionality.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Does anyone know if the coupe side marker can work with the same treatment? I'm interested in glossing it in black to maintain the functionality. Can you remove the amber corner? I've heard that it has to be melted out
Should be able to do the same thing, but you'd have to mask off the rest of the light housing if it can't be snapped out like the sedans' marker. Luckily the NiteShades sprays real well & uniform so good results aren't hard to get.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I like the fact I now know I can paint the amber strip with night shade - that's awesome. Does it reflect any form of amber anymore, or is it a black reflective type? I can't say I've masked any amber side marker or anything like that with night shade - only taillights.

ClickClackSmack - thanks for the AWESOME pictures of your CBI + STI-R lens combo. I love how much output exists and that stellar cutoff line. Reminds me of the E55 projectors I used to use in the past on my VW applications

Just to let you all know, I purchased the STI-R lenses off the TRS store on eBay with a best offer of $35.00 + $4.00 shipping. A good way to save $11 if anyone is interested in purchasing those in the future.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Should be able to do the same thing, but you'd have to mask off the rest of the light housing if it can't be snapped out like the sedans' marker. Luckily the NiteShades sprays real well & uniform so good results aren't hard to get.
I plan on blacking out the amber strip. I'll then use a dremel to hollow a thin strip out of the plastic, and sink a strip of remote controlled amber LED's that I plan on cutting to fit.

My next question is: I love the way having two angel eyes per headlight works. However, on my car, the fog lights are in the bumper, and the city light is the part that is adjacent to the projector lens. Does anyone have any idea how I can attach a CCFL ring to the city light reflector area? It is quite large and I'd like to have a 60mm CCFL ring fit in there.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I like the fact I now know I can paint the amber strip with night shade -Just to let you all know, I purchased the STI-R lenses off the TRS store on eBay with a best offer of $35.00 + $4.00 shipping. A good way to save $11 if anyone is interested in purchasing those in the future.
The amber doesn't really show through, just a darker glow.
The STiR lenses come in 2 grades, or at least they did when I got mine. The ones they sell on their website are either first quality or the 2nd tier that may have small imperfections which I'm sure are barely noticeable
Not sure what they sell on Ebay but thought it might be worth noting
Look forward to your results, have fun
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

The amber doesn't really show through, just a darker glow.
The STiR lenses come in 2 grades, or at least they did when I got mine. The ones they sell on their website are either first quality or the 2nd tier that may have small imperfections which I'm sure are barely noticeable
Not sure what they sell on Ebay but thought it might be worth noting
Look forward to your results, have fun
I bought the spacer kit. Did you end up using it?

Quick Reply: Beginning Custom Headlights