Sponsored by:

2009 Door Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Boltftw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Door Problems

Hi All!

I just recently purchased an 2009 G37x and I am loving it so far. Its been about 3 months and I have found some trouble. After using the search function available on this site, I can not find anyone that has this specific problem.

My problem is that my front driver side door will not open up from the inside or outside. My FOB key unlocks/locks the door perfectly. The locking/unlocking mechanism from the inside work as well. There is no delay and or weird sound. I can also use the key to unlock/lock the door. The door handles are loose on the inside and outside, with that being said would this be a loose cable inside the door panel? I tried calling any infiniti dealerships around my area but they are going to be charging me ~140 for just a diagnostic. (I did not purchase my car from an Infiniti dealership).

Any suggestions?

Edit:
I live in Northern Illinois, it has gotten pretty cold this week. When I pull it inside a warm garage the door opens.

Last edited by Boltftw; 12-06-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I'm having a similar issue though my door is opening it just doesn't always want to lock or unlock or start unless I insert the key. Mine is still under warranty though I also bought an extended when I got it. What year is yours? You certain it isn't under warranty?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Boltftw

I thought I added the year. It's an 2009.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltftw
I thought I added the year. It's an 2009.
You may have but I don't always retain what I read... Sorry

Hopefully someone on here will have some feedback which will be helpful. I think the factory warranty was 4 / 60. Hopefully this will be the biggest issue you have to deal with
Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
You could always pull the inside door panel off and see what's going on. Here's the procedure, hopefully it's something simple. Oh, and if you need a replacement part Discount Infiniti Parts | Genuine, OEM Infiniti Parts | Infiniti Accessories | Huge Instock Inventory is a good source for OEM stuff.
Door removal starts on pg 11 & good luck
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2009/INT.pdf
The following users liked this post:
mercury_blues (02-24-2023)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The infinity dealership should be able to tell you if your car is still under
warranty, just call them.
You can look at the ID tag. It is located on the driver's side door frame toward the bottom b/t the front and rear door. My 2010 was built 12/09, but I didn't buy it until 3/10 so that is when the 4 year warranty started.
If your car is out of warranty you should look for an auto electric shop to trouble shoot your problem and not get soaked by the dealership.
Tom
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
More than likely you will need to replace your door lock actuator. This is a known problem with some Gen 1 and Gen 2 (07-09) G sedans. Im surprised Nissan/Infiniti never issued a recall. Do a web search on it and you'll see for yourself. I'm dealing with this very same issue as we speak. I had to rip my door panel apart to get to the inner door shell, then remove the black metal center with all the 10mm bolts holding the regulator assembly. I removed most of the bolts so I had enough slack to pry the skin/metal cover open a bit near the actuator. From there I sprayed about 1/4 bottle of WD40 all over the actuator and all over the cables in desperation, and kept pulling/pushing on the inside door handle cable, and somehow the door opened. In my situation, I discovered the cable from the outside door handle going to the actuator seems to get frozen in its sleeve over time from water/moisture and lack of lubricant, also the lever on the actuator that this cable pulls cant fully contract because of the dead cable blocking that last 1/4" inch of travel needed to open the door. There are 3 cables total. One for the lock/unlock feature, and the other two are for opening the unlocked door, and they both pull the same lever but are attached differently. The inside door handle cable pulls a secondary lever inside the actuator which pivots and pushes the external main lever enough to open the door. The outer handle cable loops in a circle, but goes directly to that lever on the outside of the actuator. Its kinda like the mechanism that pops open your hood. Its a more direct connection with that external lever on the actuator as opposed to the way the inside handle operates. If the inside cable gets frozen or pops, you can still open the door from the outside, but if the outside cable gets stuck, you wont be able to open the door which is the problem I had. I think that cable gets wet from water that runs down your window and gets behind the weather strip/ window belt line molding, also from the carwash with their high pressure jets. The reason the outside handle is loose and has no tension is because the lever is the source of the tension, but if the cable is frozen you will just have a limp door handle since the spring loaded lever has nothing to pull or push back on it. That pesky little cable is about 1 and a half to 2 feet long but you can ONLY get it with a new door actuator. Im thinking about pulling my actuator out and taking that cable to a motorcycle repair shop, and have them make me a new cable, then reinstall and hope everything works. Its a lot of work, and its too cold out right now, especially when you factor in the window, window motor, and regulator need to come out, then have to be re-aligned. My next and most likely option is to buy a new actuator from the dealer for a little under $300 and have them install it in like 1 to 2 hours while I get a loaner. Please update with any info you receive on your door issue, and whether or not youre going to fix it.
The following 2 users liked this post by SlimTV:
portagepaws (02-27-2015), skeener (03-23-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Duong

I have the exact same problem. I have a 2007 g35x and i literally just came from the dealer have my lock actuator replaced. The door problem has happened 3 times over a year and to be honest its pretty annoying that infiniti/nissan isn't issuing a recall or something to fix the problem permanently. I am debating on trading the car in now.

Oh and the guys at the dealer also got into a small collision with my car at the end so now I have to go back so they can fix my bumper.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
super7

Same problem here with my 09 which I just got with less than 600 km since purchase. left hand rear door won't open from inside. The car just pass safety two weeks ago when I bought it.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I had this problem in February.

It's very simple.

I took it to my friend mechanic. You have to remove the interior door panel, speakers, window glass, etc. You will find two metal connecting rods which connect to the external door handle and the interior one too.

Be careful when you disconnect the door switches.

These metal connecting rods need to be reconnected; that's all.

It takes about 2-3 hours of labor max. I paid with a scotch bottle.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 PM
super7

Rear driver's side door won't open from inside - fixed!

It was the child safety switch on the door!

Silly me
Old 03-23-2014, 01:27 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As others have mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the door actuator. Here in MI when it's been below 15 Degrees F, my doors have been freezing shut. Sometimes when I am able to get them open, I can't get them to close, or sometimes they won't open at all. One night I had to drive home literally holding my door with one arm so that it wouldn't swing open while driving. NOT a fun drive.
This especially happens if I get a car wash in any temperatures below 25 degrees.

Extremely frustrating that this is happening on a car that is supposed to be high quality / luxury. I would imagine that they do adequate cold weather testing.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:26 AM
portagepaws
Registered Member

How do I get the door open to remove inside panel?

Originally Posted by SlimTV
If the inside cable gets frozen or pops, you can still open the door from the outside, but if the outside cable gets stuck, you wont be able to open the door which is the problem I had. I think that cable gets wet from water that runs down your window and gets behind the weather strip/ window belt line molding, also from the carwash with their high pressure jets. The reason the outside handle is loose and has no tension is because the lever is the source of the tension, but if the cable is frozen you will just have a limp door handle since the spring loaded lever has nothing to pull or push back on it.

Thank you for the detailed write-up, it will be quite helpful when the temperature warms up (currently -3 in Rochester, NY) and I get sometime to get mine fixed. At the moment the outside handle is limp and the inside handle has less than normal resistance and does not seem to be interfacing with the cables. My question is, how do I get the door open? If I thaw it out, would it be expected to open? If not necessarily, how else can I get the door open to get the inside panel off?

Much appreciated!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by super7
It was the child safety switch on the door!

Silly me
Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 PM
portagepaws
Registered Member

So I put the salamander to work tonight for over two hours in my garage to no avail. The front passenger door will not open from the inside or the outside. I must have broken something while it was frozen.

Prior to heating up the door the inside door handle had no tension when it was pulled, same result after heating it up.

The outside handle was slack with no tension prior to heating. After heating the door the outside handle does have tension for about half of the pull and then instead of opening the latch, the mechanism behind the handle pops twice and then loses all tension when pulled fully open.

Any suggestions on how I can get the door open to remove the interior panel?

Quick Reply: 2009 Door Problems