Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Sedan Chat Thread

Looks like there was a little interest in having some sort of all-encompassing chat thread to talk about this car, give tips and reviews on techniques/products, etc. We had a few of these on the last forum I used to be a part of (8thcivic.com) and there was always a tremendous amount of info gleaned from it.

I guess I'll kick it off with this tip since it seemed well-received/unknown in the other thread I posted it in. When washing my car, I use this product to rinse off the car at the end. It's an RV water filter, but you attach it to the end of a hose and it filters the water, removing most (if not all) of the hard water contaminants. In my area, it cleans the water enough that I don't have to dry the car off and it dries on its own with zero water spots left behind. You can literally wash your car and make it spotless in like 15 minutes with this thing. Hope it helps some of you guys:

Amazon.com: Camco 40043 TastePURE RV Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector: Automotive Amazon.com: Camco 40043 TastePURE RV Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector: Automotive
The following 11 users liked this post by Elohel:
abrecos (03-06-2022), blnewt (12-26-2013), Bota36 (12-10-2013), conkus805 (12-08-2013), connoisseurr (12-12-2013), crazjayz (01-08-2014), defektion (12-05-2013), RexHavoc (12-06-2013), Rochester (12-06-2013), twin_snails (05-14-2014), warped ideas (12-05-2013) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
HA thanks for creating that thread... was about to do the same haha so now we can talk about anything random regarding our cars here without being reminded how much of an OT it is

and that product seems like a really interesting and original idea ! I will definitely have to look into that
Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I need some advice on quality HFC's. I looked up the Berk website but their HFC's don't show as being compatible with my 2010 G37 Sedan. Anybody have a brand for me to look into? I'm going to be making this my next Mod if I can find something that won't make my car sound retarded or hurt the performance.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (03-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
^ I haven't really looked into bolt-ons yet but it looks like Fast Intentions makes one, and I hear good things about them on this site.

Fast Intentions
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by warped ideas
I need some advice on quality HFC's. I looked up the Berk website but their HFC's don't show as being compatible with my 2010 G37 Sedan. Anybody have a brand for me to look into? I'm going to be making this my next Mod if I can find something that won't make my car sound retarded or hurt the performance.
if you are going to pair it up with Invidia CBE like in my case get the Berk HFCs they are compatible... mine is 2013 and I honestly didnt even check for compatibility because if it fits 10+ then it sure as hell fits mine... you will get little rasp but really little at like 4k rpm ( I think) but it sounds awesome with the Catback I just got. and before I got the CBE I found that sweet spot at 2.7-3k rpms pretty much any gear on my 6MT that it sounded just like G37S coupe now it just sounds a lot better
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Elohel
^ I haven't really looked into bolt-ons yet but it looks like Fast Intentions makes one, and I hear good things about them on this site.

Fast Intentions
I have heard about them as well, but I really would like some input from somebody that has done this mod without changing out their entire exhaust system. I have only put on Tanabe axle backs at this point.
Thanks for the post though.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Mik3G37S

btw check out that video I have uploaded in my build thread..make sure when you watch it with some audio system with bass because laptop isn't going to give it away... this way you get the best idea of what it sounds like...pretty much what you hear in the video is what it sounds like in person , well almost
Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
BERK, Stillen, Fast Intentions.

FI is the only one who has the option of a little resonator welded into the straight-pipe side of the cat. BERK and Stillen have straight bung extensions. FI has a J-shaped extension.

As far as quality, anecdotal evidence from research leads me to think they're all good-to-excellent quality, although I believe FI would be at the top of that list. (I'm buying the FI RHFC for xmas.)
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Rochester
BERK, Stillen, Fast Intentions.

FI is the only one who has the option of a little resonator welded into the straight-pipe side of the cat. BERK and Stillen have straight bung extensions. FI has a J-shaped extension.

As far as quality, anecdotal evidence from research leads me to think they're all good-to-excellent quality, although I believe FI would be at the top of that list. (I'm buying the FI RHFC for xmas.)
I keep hearing Fast Intentions so I'll start reading up on the brand. I'm kinda curious what that FI HFC with OEM pipes and the Tanabe Axle backs would sound like. I really don't want any rasp. Is it too much to ask for a "clean" exhaust note? I've heard some 37's & 35's that sound just awful. I'm not trying to join that crowd.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I keep hearing Fast Intentions so I'll start reading up on the brand. I'm kinda curious what that FI HFC with OEM pipes and the Tanabe Axle backs would so like. I really don't want any rasp. Is it too much to ask for a "clean" exhaust note? I've heard some 37's & 35's that sound just awful. I'm not trying to join that crowd.
I've come to the conclusion that any non-resonated HFC would sound great matched to the OEM Exhaust. But it's completely arbitrary how it would sound when matched with an aftermarket cat-back, because there are so many options out there. And unfortunately, more often than not it sounds raspy.

However, it seems the *resonated* HFC from Fast Intentions always sounds good, no matter what it's matched with. I believe the downside is that when it's on an OEM exhaust, it's rather muted.

Suppose I'll find out this Spring. There a cat here named Alfredo who recently put a RHFC on his OEM exhaust, and he was unimpressed. RexHavoc (here) will be be doing the same in a few weeks. And then there's me in a few months.

Not too long ago I saw a thread where someone had a pair of test-pipes configured with Helmholtz resonators. That's pretty fascinating. ARK uses that technology with their cat-back.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-06-2013 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
warped ideas (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I just got my FI RHFCs today but I haven't opened them yet. I'll update when I do. Then plan, for now, is to install them with the rest of the OEM exhaust. Down the line I may upgrade the exhaust but for now this will be it. I'm heading out of town next week but just rearranged my travel for the week after so I'm hopeful I'll have them on by the 19th at the latest. I'll do my best to get vids and sound clips posted once I do.

This was a good idea OP we have been drifting an awful lot thread wise I suppose huh?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I changed out my resonators when the tanabes i bought sounded the same as the oem exhaust.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ound-clip.html

so now i have tanabes with vibrant resonators.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

After the break in period of a few 100 miles with the Tanabe I am impressed with the exhaust signature. It's not annoyingly loud but its definately there after 2500. (It HOWLS) I just wish I would have installed the cans first before the K&N intake. They're even louder! Anyways, from what I've read so far fast intentions HFC's are the way to go.

Resonated or Not is the question. Someone care to tell me what the difference is besides the architecture of the parts?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I just got my FI RHFCs today but I haven't opened them yet. I'll update when I do. Then plan, for now, is to install them with the rest of the OEM exhaust. Down the line I may upgrade the exhaust but for now this will be it. I'm heading out of town next week but just rearranged my travel for the week after so I'm hopeful I'll have them on by the 19th at the latest. I'll do my best to get vids and sound clips posted once I do.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

After the break in period of a few 100 miles with the Tanabe I am impressed with the exhaust signature. It's not annoyingly loud but its definately there after 2500. (It HOWLS) I just wish I would have installed the cans first before the K&N intake. They're even louder! Anyways, from what I've read so far fast intentions HFC's are the way to go.

Resonated or Not is the question. Someone care to tell me what the difference is besides the architecture of the parts?
Pretty sure it's your intake that's making all that noise. In 2+ years of trolling this site, I've never once heard of anyone describing the Tanabe Medallion axle-back as an exhaust that howls.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread