G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
If my cats don't make a significant difference in sound I may just sell you mine Rochester as it's just too tame for my liking. That will suck because that means I've spent 2k to be ultimately unhappy (when $400 bucks got me one of the best sounding cars I ever had in the mustang). I guess it's just the platform and that's on me. The sad thing though is I really like the car, but wouldn't know where to go from here concerning sound since it's basically meistershaft or bust.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
2.25" vs 2.5"? I don't recall that coming up as a consideration when I bought my RHFC's last year. So that means what... that I have the 2.25" diameter piping on both ends?
The RFHC/HFCs for the sedan comes standard with 2.25" pipes, and the coupe comes with 2.5" pipes. If your CBE is upgraded to 2.5" then you'll want to go with the 2.5" RHFC/HFCs.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Chris, could you do me the favor of measuring the FI tip from the can to the very end?

And if you have a caliper handy, could you also measure the diameter of the neck where it connects to the can?
Sure, may take me until Sunday though. That okay?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Thanks, man. No rush at all, just gathering info and options for an end-of-year order.

It seems that owning the ARK Grip is an exercise in compromise. So today I'm swinging strong into the Fast Intentions column... which is funny to me, because I was so sure about ARK since the April meet-up.
I got the ark because I don't like the way the FI mufflers look. Like I've said before, I don't think you would have much issues if you stay on Swifts.

If I had to do it over again and I would still do ark.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Thanks, man. No rush at all, just gathering info and options for an end-of-year order.

It seems that owning the ARK Grip is an exercise in compromise. So today I'm swinging strong into the Fast Intentions column... which is funny to me, because I was so sure about ARK since the April meet-up.
John, does Redtail make those tips with a 2.5" or 2.25" inlet diameter?

Yeah, I considered the ARK Grip when I was making my decision on which way to go. My conclusions mirrored yours in that it was an exercise in compromise to go with the ARK. I get a bit pissed when I spend a fair chunk of change and then have fitment issues-- smacks of fast-tracked engineering to me.

Sometimes choosing which part to go with is an evolutionary process. I know it was for me. I think I changed my mind three times. My process was: Invidia > Berk HFC and CBE (this was only made for the coupe and I angled to get it made for the sedan) > ARK > Fast Intentions.

Oke, I've got some measurements for you:

Top edge of rolled tip to the can (30° / ): 9 inches
Bottom edge of rolled tip to the can (30° / ): 8 inches
Tip Outer diameter: 4 inches round - no oval.
Tip Inside diameter: 3 inches approximately, maybe slightly more - it was dark so I'll try to tighten this up in the morning.
Pipe Inside diameter coming from the can: 2.5 inches.

I'm interested in your process so I'll definitely keep my ears tuned. I hope it works out that you're able to get those sweet Redtail tips on the exhaust.

Also, the mufflers that FI uses are from Sebring Tuning. I believe in bare form, they come with pipes sticking out of the can and then you weld the finishing pieces on over them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Last edited by twin_snails; 10-22-2014 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyHTX
I got the ark because I don't like the way the FI mufflers look. Like I've said before, I don't think you would have much issues if you stay on Swifts.

If I had to do it over again and I would still do ark.

that's good to hear lol

I too was thinking about switching up my CBE from ARK to who knows what
but maybe I ll just go RHFC instead
Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Oke, I've got some measurements for you:

Top edge of rolled tip to the can (30° / ): 9 inches
Bottom edge of rolled tip to the can (30° / ): 8 inches
Tip Outer diameter: 4 inches round - no oval.
Tip Inside diameter: 3 inches approximately, maybe slightly more - it was dark so I'll try to tighten this up in the morning.
Pipe Inside diameter coming from the can: 2.5 inches.
All great info. 9" length from can to tip... so where is the edge of the tip in relationship to the bumper cut-out?

Either way, a 7.5" tip with a 2" neck doesn't seems like a feasible replacement for the FI can-2-tip configuration. Hmmm. Grrrr.

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Also, the mufflers that FI uses are from Sebring Tuning. I believe in bare form, they come with pipes sticking out of the can and then you weld the finishing pieces on over them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.
That's what my mechanic did 2.5 years ago... simply cut the stock 2.5" neck to about 1" from the can, then fit my 3.5" Magnaflow tips over it, welded to the can directly. That's how he was able to line up a perfect fitment.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-22-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Almost forgot about these here. Talk about unique looking, with that thick, flat edge. Polar opposite of the sharp single-wall edge of my Magnaflow tips.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

All great info. 9" length from can to tip... so where is the edge of the tip in relationship to the bumper cut-out?

Either way, a 7.5" tip with a 2" neck doesn't seems like a feasible replacement for the FI can-2-tip configuration. Hmmm. Grrrr.

That's what my mechanic did 2.5 years ago... simply cut the stock 2.5" neck to about 1" from the can, then fit my 3" Magnaflow tips over it, welded to the can directly. That's how he was able to line up a perfect fitment.
Do they offer a tip with a larger inlet diameter? I wouldn't be too concerned about the length...I'm pretty certain Tony and his fabricating wizards over at FI would be able to make something work for you with regard to the tips. I'll take some measurements with regard to the bumper cutout as well as photos...straight on and from a side profile.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:21 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Almost forgot about these here. Talk about unique looking, with that thick, flat edge. Polar opposite of the sharp single-wall edge of my Magnaflow tips.

I Like! Like! Like!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I love the tips on my FI exhaust (which is actually made by sebring tuning).
Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
They're not bad, and better than most, IMO.

The simplicity about going with FI would be perfect fitment, and a set of exhaust tips that I can be OK with until a later date... if ever.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
If my cats don't make a significant difference in sound I may just sell you mine Rochester as it's just too tame for my liking. That will suck because that means I've spent 2k to be ultimately unhappy (when $400 bucks got me one of the best sounding cars I ever had in the mustang). I guess it's just the platform and that's on me. The sad thing though is I really like the car, but wouldn't know where to go from here concerning sound since it's basically meistershaft or bust.
Not sure how loud you are wanting to go but another option would be is to get 0" resonators in the CBE and TPs.

I like my setup with 18" resonators in the CBE and RHFCs but I am not a fan of super loud, just my personal taste.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 03:04 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Around, what sized resonators do you have on your FI exhaust?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Choman
Not sure how loud you are wanting to go but another option would be is to get 0" resonators in the CBE and TPs.

I like my setup with 18" resonators in the CBE and RHFCs but I am not a fan of super loud, just my personal taste.
0" resonators FTW!

Coupled with the resonators on the cats, I think the sound is just right. Anyone who gets the non-resonated x-pipe will be shocked at the first cold start.

I can't speak for how it would sound with regular HFC's or a setup with stock cats though.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread