Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 08:04 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Just got my Fast Intentions HFC's installed and now I can say I have a smile on my face finally. Every time I hit the gas now I know I have an exhaust under there. Still not very loud at WOT though but can't win them all ( for 2k though I should........). Two things that I wish FI intentions changed were the location of the bungs (02 sensor cable does not fit correctly in stock harness anymore or it would be too tight) and the brace underneath the cats can no longer be used. Other than that, pretty stoked.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:40 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Just got my Fast Intentions HFC's installed and now I can say I have a smile on my face finally. Every time I hit the gas now I know I have an exhaust under there. Still not very loud at WOT though but can't win them all ( for 2k though I should........). Two things that I wish FI intentions changed were the location of the bungs (02 sensor cable does not fit correctly in stock harness anymore or it would be too tight) and the brace underneath the cats can no longer be used. Other than that, pretty stoked.
It is a good feeling. I felt the same when I got my RHFC's installed. I had the same problem with the brace btw.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:45 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
It is a good feeling. I felt the same when I got my RHFC's installed. I had the same problem with the brace btw.
How bad is your hiss at decel? It's almost comically loud for me (even in the cabin) but that's only when I heard it just revving from neutral. I'll have a buddy drive my car around the block to see what it sounds like when it's moving.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
How bad is your hiss at decel? It's almost comically loud for me (even in the cabin) but that's only when I heard it just revving from neutral. I'll have a buddy drive my car around the block to see what it sounds like when it's moving.
What hiss? No hiss here.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
What hiss? No hiss here.
Oh wow, is that the difference between Resonated and non because if so, damnit. LOL. Or maybe it's the fact you still have the stock exhaust where I have the FI catback.

Next time you are in your car Rochester roll down your windows and rev the car in neutral. If there is no hiss present when the rpms fall back down then you indeed have no hiss so lucky you. I'll take a video of mine to show you what I'm talking about.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh wow, is that the difference between Resonated and non because if so, damnit. LOL. Or maybe it's the fact you still have the stock exhaust where I have the FI catback.

Next time you are in your car Rochester roll down your windows and rev the car in neutral. If there is no hiss present when the rpms fall back down then you indeed have no hiss so lucky you. I'll take a video of mine to show you what I'm talking about.
I thought you bought the resonated cats. That could be the difference. I'd suspect that more than the cat-back. That, or a leak. After a while, go back to your mechanic and have him eyeball the fitment on everything, and check for leaks, after it's had a few weeks to settle in. That's a reasonable follow-up for an aftermarket exhaust.

As for that cross-member that bolted your OEM cats to the frame... I still have mine. Looking right at it, in fact. It's always been the plan to have my guy come up with some way to weld connectors to the new cats, and put that back on. I'm not comfortable having all that weight hanging off the headers.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Have you checked to make sure that everything is tightened down?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:04 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I have quite a bit of decel hiss on my system with HFC and FI catback. It was even louder when I swapped in an unresonated X-pipe. The 12" FI systems did allow a lot of the his to come through but was slightly muffled.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

I thought you bought the resonated cats. That could be the difference. I'd suspect that more than the cat-back. That, or a leak. After a while, go back to your mechanic and have him eyeball the fitment on everything, and check for leaks, after it's had a few weeks to settle in. That's a reasonable follow-up for an aftermarket exhaust.

As for that cross-member that bolted your OEM cats to the frame... I still have mine. Looking right at it, in fact. It's always been the plan to have my guy come up with some way to weld connectors to the new cats, and put that back on. I'm not comfortable having all that weight hanging off the headers.
There is a video of LAnce in his 370 and he has the RHFC's and I hear the same sound so dunno.

Also, I had the same worry as you concerning not being able to reuse the cross member so maybe I need to go to an exhaust shop and see if they can fabricate something for me.

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Have you checked to make sure that everything is tightened down?
Everything was impacted so pretty sure it is.

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I have quite a bit of decel hiss on my system with HFC and FI catback. It was even louder when I swapped in an unresonated X-pipe. The 12" FI systems did allow a lot of the his to come through but was slightly muffled.
Yup, what's your feeling on it?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:18 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Next time you get a chance Rochester, can you take pic of your cross member under your HFC's. If it's not attached how does it not vibrate?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Here's a crazy thought... someone slap me for silly if it's stupid.

What about buying rear coil-overs. Just rears.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Found the video I was talking about of an example of hiss on deceleration.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Found the video I was talking about of an example of hiss on deceleration.
That noise on decel that sounds like a turbine winding down?

Next time you get a chance Rochester, can you take pic of your cross member under your HFC's. If it's not attached how does it not vibrate?
No it's not attached. Here it is on my dining room table.

There was quite a bit of at-idle vibration after the install. So I removed the heavy rubber damper nubs that were attached to the mid-pipes, and the vibration all but went away (mostly). You don't have that option, because you don't have the OEM cat-back anymore, so IDK what to say, except maybe to put this cross-member back on, like we're talking about.

Have to come up with some creative way to weld bolts with bushings to match up with the original holes on the ends. Hmm. Anyway, here it is:

Last edited by Rochester; 10-26-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Here's a crazy thought... someone slap me for silly if it's stupid.

What about buying rear coil-overs. Just rears.
Ok, I'll bite.....why?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I have a heavy decel hiss as well, FI RHFCs and 12 inch resonated exhaust. John when you go CBE it will likely become a bit more pronounced.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread