G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I read the G35 review of the Ark. I would be waffling too. What dont you like about FI?
There's nothing not to like about FI. The quality and fitment is spot-on. The cans are very attractive from a down-low POV. The price is right, all things considered. And the sound is very appealing. I want the ARK Grip because it's more unique, and the Helmholtz resonators at the cans makes an absolutely wonderful noise.

But if I scrape that exhaust, or have to worry about scraping the exhaust, it's going to drive me nuts. I'm already on edge every time I drive the car because of the CSC failure I had earlier this year. That G35Driver review on ARK...

Review: ARK Grip Cat Back Exhaust - G35Driver

...isn't the first time I've read where people complained about fitment and height. And now that I'm getting closer to buying a cat-back, it's giving me second-thoughts.

One idea is to go with the FI cat-back, with 18" resonators mounted as-is. Then sometime later in the year, cut off those tips and weld in the Red Tails.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
^ I don't think you will need to worry too much, your car isn't too low. Ever since I raised my car to 25.75" fender height all around I don't scrape nearly as much as I used too. There are some occasional scrapes still but not too bad.

On a side note, I got to experience the Motordyne catback and ART pipes on my friend's G37 coupe this past Sunday. I couldn't hear my exhaust at all while standing on the street in comparison to the Motordyne - my friends were test driving both cars and passed in front of me at the same time going opposite directions. I will definitely be changing my exhaust to the sedan variant but 3" from the downpipes back, if Motordyne Tony will make me the 3" Y section that is.

Last edited by ttv36; 10-21-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

...isn't the first time I've read where people complained about fitment and height. And now that I'm getting closer to buying a cat-back, it's giving me second-thoughts.

exactly the reason why you don't want to get Ark because of how low it sits and you will most likely scrape going up your driveway. I've read about the fitment and height issues several times and that most people scrape it as it sits pretty low, so yeah something to think about

BTW John, you should hear my MXP catback now with the MXP Y-pipe, it sounds amazzzing I got one short video but it's not under WOT so I'll hold off till this weekend to record some better ones
Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
BTW John, you should hear my MXP catback now with the MXP Y-pipe, it sounds amazzzing I got one short video but it's not under WOT so I'll hold off till this weekend to record some better ones
It did sound nice, Mike. Can't deny it, and won't bust your ***** about it. If I had to say anything critical, it's the low-speed drone. I think it's a little more pervasive than the FI.

The thing about the ARK... I can't forget what Albert's car sounded like at the meet-up. It was just about the best sounding V6 ever. Granted, he has the ARK cats, and is tuned. But damn, that was amazing. Burble burble burble.

I should write to him and see how he'd made it through 2014 with clearance. Alfredo, too.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

But if I scrape that exhaust, or have to worry about scraping the exhaust, it's going to drive me nuts. I'm already on edge every time I drive the car because of the CSC failure I had earlier this year. That G35Driver review on ARK...
I'm on stock height and scrape if I don't leave my apartment's driveway sideways.

If I knew that before considering which exhaust to purchase, I would have bought the FI. To be honest, I would have bought the FI if it wasn't for the wait time.

However, I do love my ARK (perfect sound IMO) and am basing my thoughts of the FI exhaust based on an image and sound that I made in my head after watching pics and vids of it. Maybe my thoughts would be different if I had the bought the FI instead of the ARK
Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
I'm on stock height and scrape if I don't leave my apartment's driveway sideways.
That would be a deal breaker for me. FWIW, I haven't scraped on anything since I lowered the car. Maybe I'm lucky.

The good news is Rochester has all winter to research exhausts. I put together an Excel list a while back, but I think it was on my old work computer. Lots of options. Don't Borla and Magnaflow make cat-backs for the G too?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That would be a deal breaker for me. FWIW, I haven't scraped on anything since I lowered the car. Maybe I'm lucky.

The good news is Rochester has all winter to research exhausts. I put together an Excel list a while back, but I think it was on my old work computer. Lots of options. Don't Borla and Magnaflow make cat-backs for the G too?
I've been researching exhausts on the G37 Sedan with varying degrees of intensity since before I bought the car. But you're right... I've time. Planning to placing an order around New Years.

I believe Magnaflow just started, within the last year. And no, Borla only makes an exhaust for the Coupe, not the Sedan. If you want Borla equipment, you have to bend custom pipes into one of their mufflers. I've considered that, too, although not seriously of late.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Mik3G37S

It did sound nice, Mike. Can't deny it, and won't bust your ***** about it. If I had to say anything critical, it's the low-speed drone. I think it's a little more pervasive than the FI.

The thing about the ARK... I can't forget what Albert's car sounded like at the meet-up. It was just about the best sounding V6 ever. Granted, he has the ARK cats, and is tuned. But damn, that was amazing. Burble burble burble.

I should write to him and see how he'd made it through 2014 with clearance. Alfredo, too.

Thank you John, well I think you were under impression that it had a bit of a drone is because it wasn't broken in yet, the exhaust was installed 2 days prior to the meet, and the fact that there was the heatshield over the resonators that was causing a rattle which at slow speeds could be easily mistaken for drone, and the fact that the OEM Y pipe was still in place with bunch of heatshields as well that made the exhaust sound raspy at times, but now with the MXP Y pipe paired up to the MXP exhaust it has improved, it's not raspy like that anymore, it is less restrictive and wider than OEM bottle neck Y pipe and I definitely noticed some gains throughout the RPM band since I removed the short ram intakes as well.

Now the exhaust note is really awesome, sounds throatier, and more pronounced, I love now listening just to the exhaust note at higher rpms for once now that the Short ram intakes are gone and nomore screaming haha but I do believe the Y pipe needs to break in and will sound even better

And I have never scraped my exhaust either!

John you need to seriously consider the Motordyne E370 catback, they are making it for sedans as of this year I believe and it sounds amazing, and I really do mean amazing - burble burble burble although mine does that too but definitely worth checking out

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 10-21-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:42 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

John you need to seriously consider the Motordyne E370 catback, they are making it for sedans as of this year I believe and it sounds amazing, definitely worth checking out
I feel so ignored. *runs back to corner*
Old 10-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by tonyHTX

I feel so ignored. *runs back to corner*
Whoops, my bad Tony, I did not see that reply now it just struck me that you mentioned the Motordyne!

What exhaust do you have now?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Whoops, my bad Tony, I did not see that reply now it just struck me that you mentioned the Motordyne!
Haha all good, I wrote a wall of text and hid the details in there. Your reply was much more to the point.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by tonyHTX

Haha all good, I wrote a wall of text and hid the details in there. Your reply was much more to the point.
Haha thanks, rarely happens that my reply is much to the point haha
Old 10-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

<<<@!1!@>>>

Aw-w-w-w.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:03 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Check these too:

Edit: I ripped these from FB to share. Hopefully the owners are OK with it!

Last edited by ttv36; 10-21-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Mik3G37S

Speaking of exhaust.. I think I just discovered a leak , either between HFCs and Y Pipe or between Y Pipe and Mid pipe.. I hear this weird sound when I rev it up to like 3k in neutral as the rpms go down.. o.O

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread