Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Mission accomplished.
I would say so
It's great to find an alignment tech that really knows their job, I was very lucky to find a great one where I live. Mine took about two hours and he also walked me through the process when he was done.
The previous shop I went to they didn't give a damn and my alignment was crap, they were just lazy and ignorant regarding lowered vehicles.

Sounds like you're almost having too much fun in that "new" car, congrats!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:00 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Hotchkis Sways ordered.... God... My addiction.

Anybody have any advice on installing them?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Sometimes I buy my mechanic doughnuts... you could try that.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Hotchkis Sways ordered.... God... My addiction.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...r-install.html

Easy install. 2 beer job
The following users liked this post:
warped ideas (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Rochester
Sometimes I buy my mechanic doughnuts... you could try that.
No man, I got to keep the rust from forming on my tools!

Good thing I just bought a case of Bud last weekend. I'm hoping to have these suckers installed next Wed. morning before I leave for work in the afternoon. I'm looking forward to feeling the difference "at speed".
Old 09-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Good thing I just bought a case of Bud last weekend. I'm hoping to have these suckers installed next Wed. morning before I leave for work in the afternoon. I'm looking forward to feeling the difference "at speed".
Go ramping on the highway before the install. Then do the exact route again after. I bet you'll find yourself going 10 to 15 mph faster at the same level of confidence.

It's pretty cool.
The following users liked this post:
warped ideas (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Go ramping on the highway before the install. Then do the exact route again after. I bet you'll find yourself going 10 to 15 mph faster at the same level of confidence.

It's pretty cool.
Yeah

If I recall warped is on all seasons. That is going to be the weak link now.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

In Florida? WTF? I swear we had this discussion at least twice before. And you're right, if he's not on summer tires, there's only so much gain to be had from sways.

Regardless, I'm sure he'll still be a happy camper.

I have this long sweeping, two-lane merge between major highways not far from my house. The speed is marked down to 45 mph for the curve.
  • In my wife's Honda CRV, I can keep it at 55 easy enough, and even up to 60 if I'm feeling brave.
  • In my G37, I used to easily take that ramp at 75 mph. Any more, I'd get nervous and back off.
  • After two rear PSS and swaybars last year, that went up to 80 - 85 mph before I started to freak.
  • Now lowered on Swifts, with two wider PSS tires, I can slip around that corner over 90 mph... still in full control.

It's all relative. And sometimes a little scary.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-04-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

It's pretty cool.
Thats actually a pretty good idea. THANKS
I have two very long sweeper off ramps less than a mile from "de casa".

Yeah

Next rotation in 5K miles getting new shoes put on her! Going with Rochesters suggestion of the PSS. He tells me they have "heroic" grip

In Florida? WTF? I swear we had this discussion at least twice before. And you're right, if he's not on summer tires, there's only so much gain to be had from sways.

Regardless, I'm sure he'll still be a happy camper.

I have this long sweeping, two-lane merge between major highways not far from my house. The speed is marked down to 45 mph for the curve.
  • In my wife's Honda CRV, I can keep it at 55 easy enough, and even up to 60 if I'm feeling brave.
  • In my G37, I used to easily take that ramp at 75 mph. Any more, I'd get nervous and back off.
  • After two rear PSS and swaybars last year, that went up to 80 - 85 mph before I started to freak.
  • Now lowered on Swifts, with two wider PSS tires, I can slip around that corner over 90 mph... still in full control.
It's all relative. And sometimes a little scary.
I'm going to take it easy at first to get a feel for the new control. My @ss end gets loose easily going into turns since my tune. Sway bars will just make the rear come around quicker I'd guess. So it's going to be a little testing before hitting some nice sweeping turns at serious speed.

A little off topic here. Does $1300 sound reasonable for the PSS tires?
My size is 245/35R20 squared setup. That's roughly the quote I got for tires, mounting and balancing.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

A little off topic here. Does $1300 sound reasonable for the PSS tires? My size is 245/35R20 squared setup. That's roughly the quote I got for tires, mounting and balancing.
$1300 mounted and out the door for PSS that big... that's fine, IMO.

My tires came part of a wheel & tire package, but the tires themselves were itemized at $1200. 245/40ZR19 for the front, and 275/35ZR19 for the rear.

Damn expensive rubber. But if you can afford it, then it's worth it.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

A little off topic here. Does $1300 sound reasonable for the PSS tires?
My size is 245/35R20 squared setup. That's roughly the quote I got for tires, mounting and balancing.
That sounds good, great if it includes sales tax.

Michelin has a $70 Visa card promotion, so make sure you save your invoice.

Tire Rebates and Promotions from Michelin | Michelin Tires
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Lego, any more handling mods for you?

I don't have any suspension mods planned for 2015, but in 2016 I'm planning on 4.083 rear gears, and will likely replace the rear differential frame bushings at the same time. I've read where using solid polyurethane frame bushings on the rear diff can really make a difference.

Not really a handling mod, per se... solid poly frame bushings are more of a RWD power mod. But it will change the feel of the car somewhat.

Swapping out springs and struts for coilovers in 2017. Car will be 6 years old then, and likely have 40 to 50k miles on it.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Lego, any more handling mods for you?
I still need to replace at least my rear tires. At this point, I'm kinda just being lazy. I'll probably go through another set of rears before my fronts wear out, so I'm tempted to get another set of Potenza S04s, as I've been happy with them.

I could use the savings to fund spacers, but I'm not sold on that yet. Sure it looks good, but my rear tires seem really close to the fender lip.

I don't have any suspension mods planned for 2015, but in 2016 I'm planning on 4.083 rear gears, and will likely replace the rear differential frame bushings at the same time. I've read where using solid polyurethane frame bushings on the rear diff can really make a difference.

Not really a handling mod, per se... solid poly frame bushings are more of a RWD power mod. But it will change the feel of the car somewhat.

Swapping out springs and struts for coilovers in 2017. Car will be 6 years old then, and likely have 40 to 50k miles on it.
You've thought this out well

I've browsed some threads on the rear diff bushings, and I'd imagine it is a worthwhile mod. I put polyurethane inserts in my Legacy GTs rear diff cradle and it was a nice upgrade in tightening up the drivetrain.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I put polyurethane inserts in my Legacy GTs rear diff cradle and it was a nice upgrade in tightening up the drivetrain.
I put solid poly Energy Suspension bushings everywhere in my last car. And since it had a transverse FWD engine, I put solid poly bushings in the engine Torque Mounts (sides, not ends). For years I maintained that was the single best mod ever on that car. It affected everything... throttle response, turn-in, power, and a real serious NVH that I kind of dug. Actually, the NVH wasn't that bad. It was the engine brace I installed that really got things shaking, LOL.

You've thought this out well
Haha. Yep.

2015 will be cat-back and STS. You know you want a STS, lego. I know that you know that I know that...
Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I would say so
It's great to find an alignment tech that really knows their job
This is so true!

I usually take my car to my friend's shop because I trust one of his techs. I swung by last week after adjusting the height and it turns out the tech doesn't work there anymore. Luckily, since it's my friend's shop, he let me do my own alignment on the rack by myself. Got all the settings I wanted and the car drives straight as an arrow!

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread