Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Remote starter installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 PM
rlb
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are both installs(w/ harness) basically the same? Seems like for both you have to splice into 2 or 3 wires and then the rest is connectors. Do they both work the same way? Any difference in features that make one more user friendly?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Just ordered mine today, will see how it goes.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:33 PM
CrimsnTide

I don't want to "hijack" this away from installing DBall/DBall2 Remote starter, but the thread IS labeled "Remote starter installed"... I think I am leaning towards installing the Fortin "Factory OEM Remote Activated Plug and Play Remote Start for Select 2009-2014 Nissan and Infiniti Push to Start" sold on Amazon. I am leaning this way, because now after 20 pages in this thread, I'm unsure of the support for use of the STOCK FOB 3x lock to start.

I have a couple of questions regarding the FORTIN remote starter that I am hoping someone can clear up for me. If someone care to take a shot at these, I would appreciate it....

1. If I install the FORTIN remote starter along with a "long range" add-on - can BOTH remotes still be used. I am talking stock FOB and/or the other FOB that comes with the long range add on (such as the CRIMESTOPPER RFALL642W FM RF Add-on Kit with Two 4-Button Remotes (2 Way) Link: https://www.amazon.com/CRIMESTOPPER-...ords=RFALL642W

2. When entering the car AFTER starting by remote (WITH stock FOB) , does the car shut off when brake is applied, or door is open/shut? I am NOT wanting to start my car TWICE. (Older Lexus does this).

2a. I assume with PROGRAMMING remote starter, you can have the car stay LOCKED or unlock when starting by remote? Would the car shut off when entering "locked" vehicle?

3. Is it a issue or bad (ballast?) for having parking lights turn on and stay on showing car has started? (No opinions please.)

3a. If possible, can you turn them off when entering car (daytime) and or how to turn headlights on if at night?

That's it for now.... ANYONE?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Dang
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsnTide
I don't want to "hijack" this away from installing DBall/DBall2 Remote starter, but the thread IS labeled "Remote starter installed"... I think I am leaning towards installing the Fortin "Factory OEM Remote Activated Plug and Play Remote Start for Select 2009-2014 Nissan and Infiniti Push to Start" sold on Amazon. I am leaning this way, because now after 20 pages in this thread, I'm unsure of the support for use of the STOCK FOB 3x lock to start.

I have a couple of questions regarding the FORTIN remote starter that I am hoping someone can clear up for me. If someone care to take a shot at these, I would appreciate it....

1. If I install the FORTIN remote starter along with a "long range" add-on - can BOTH remotes still be used. I am talking stock FOB and/or the other FOB that comes with the long range add on (such as the CRIMESTOPPER RFALL642W FM RF Add-on Kit with Two 4-Button Remotes (2 Way) Link: https://www.amazon.com/CRIMESTOPPER-...ords=RFALL642W

2. When entering the car AFTER starting by remote (WITH stock FOB) , does the car shut off when brake is applied, or door is open/shut? I am NOT wanting to start my car TWICE. (Older Lexus does this).

2a. I assume with PROGRAMMING remote starter, you can have the car stay LOCKED or unlock when starting by remote? Would the car shut off when entering "locked" vehicle?

3. Is it a issue or bad (ballast?) for having parking lights turn on and stay on showing car has started? (No opinions please.)

3a. If possible, can you turn them off when entering car (daytime) and or how to turn headlights on if at night?

That's it for now.... ANYONE?
I can answer some of your questions... I've had my FORTIN module for a little over a year now and installed it myself. I can honestly say, living in the north east, it is possibly one of my best mods.

1. I only use my stock key FOB so I cannot answer this for you.

2. Once car is remote started, you must enter the car with your key FOB and press the brake to let the module know to "turn-off" and resume normal use of the car. You do not need to start the car twice. If you enter the car without the key FOB and press the brake the car will shut off.

2a. I believe the FORTINs,when bought off amazon, are only programed to work with Lock 3x on the FOB. The car will remain locked once you remote start the car. If you do not enter the car with your key FOB and press the brake the module will run for, I believe, 15 minutes before shutting the car off and unlocking the car. I don't remember if the video addresses this matter and I don't remember what I did for this. But i know for a fact I have never let the module shut the car off.

3. I'm not sure what you're asking here, but the parking lights don't have ballasts. If you meant our headlights, i can say there are no issues. I have HID Fog Lights that I use as DRLs and i've remote started at night with auto headlights on and they both turn on with my remote start. When you get in and press the brake the lights do not flicker they just simply stay on. If you do end up buying the FORTIN module, follow the video posted in the thread precisely. In the last step he wires the module to the interior lights, which mimics the doors opening and closing. If you use the auto headlights, when you remote start, the lights will turn on at night. If the last step is not done correctly or you decide to forgo the last step of wiring into the interior lights and you do not enter the car within the timeframe allowed the car will shut off and your lights will stay on for a long time draining your battery. Our lights do actually shut off automatically but it takes a very long time.

3a. When using the remote start, the car functions normally as if you were sitting in the car and started it yourself. Radio turns on and HVAC system turns on, using the last settings they were set at. You can also remote start the car and then unlock from the key FOB to allow a passenger to enter the car and use the car like normal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dang; 08-24-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:52 PM
RNMcSneaks
Registered Member

2013 g37 xs auto

So having some trouble with my fortin evo-nist1

All connections rechecked and tightened. On module, reprogram complete, with blue light when pressing lock

Lock 3x........ nothing happens. At all

Did not reflash the stand alone, have the flash link on hand, hoping not to use it .

I have read other people have cut the yellow loop - is that an actual wire? Where?

Thoughts on whats wrong?
The car will start normally with brakde and push start

Thanks in advance. Andrew
Old 10-02-2016, 12:10 PM
machomike8
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RNMcSneaks
So having some trouble with my fortin evo-nist1

All connections rechecked and tightened. On module, reprogram complete, with blue light when pressing lock

Lock 3x........ nothing happens. At all

Did not reflash the stand alone, have the flash link on hand, hoping not to use it .

I have read other people have cut the yellow loop - is that an actual wire? Where?

Thoughts on whats wrong?
The car will start normally with brakde and push start

Thanks in advance. Andrew
Andrew,
Any update here? I just got mine installed yesterday and am having the same issue. Programming went fine. When I click "lock" the blue light flashes on the module but when I lock 3X the car does NOT attempt to start. It just sits there. I'm wondering if the new ones are shipping with the 3X remote start option disabled. If no one has any advise, my next step is to buy the flashlink updater as I've confirmed my wiring is right.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:31 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
I have the fortin installed. Can answer a few questions. Yes you can use the factory fob 3x's to start and an after market long range remote to start the car. I have the Viper Smartstart installed myself. You will need to buy the flash link updater though. I would recommend people buy it anyway since you will need it if any updates are released or you might want to change some other settings. For example you can change how long the car runs before it shuts off. As far as the module being programed but not starting the car. I don't have the instructions in front of me but the instructions for the last step says something about releasing the button when all 3 lights flash or something to that effect, right? You have to hold it for awhile until all three lights flash fast at the same time.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 PM
machomike8
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by machomike8
Andrew,
Any update here? I just got mine installed yesterday and am having the same issue. Programming went fine. When I click "lock" the blue light flashes on the module but when I lock 3X the car does NOT attempt to start. It just sits there. I'm wondering if the new ones are shipping with the 3X remote start option disabled. If no one has any advise, my next step is to buy the flashlink updater as I've confirmed my wiring is right.

Just an update here... I called Fortin support who confirmed that no Evo All (EVO-NIST1) will work with 3x lock remote start out of the box. If yours did then your retailer programmed it before sending it to you. I got mine on Amazon for $75. They did not ask for my vehicle model so they didn't program before sending. Some amazon merchants like "Car Alarm Depot" do but they charged $119 for the module. I'm assuming someone like a Crutchfield would do so as well. So in short though, the module must be programmed.

I Amazon Primed the flashlink updater for $40. The process took about 5 minutes from start to finish including installing the flashlink software. It was super simple... Just enable the 3x lock then flash the settings. I plugged the module back in under the dash and the remote start worked the first time. I also was able to just return the flashlink updater to Amazon (only cost me $6 to ship it back.)

The following document was more helpful to me than the Youtube video that others have shared...

http://fortin.ca/download/24031/stan...v-20141113.pdf

If I had known flashing the device was necessary, the total install for this project might have taken 2.5 hours at most. I could probably whip the next one out in under an hour. WAY easier than the previous remote start and alarm installs I've done on my previous vehicles.

I hope this helps the next person.

Last edited by machomike8; 10-20-2016 at 01:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by machomike8:
MStrike (05-30-2021), rlb (10-19-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 PM
nrgm37
Registered Member

It makes sense that your modules don't work correctly when bought from Amazon with "Prime". Prime enables sellers to stock their products in Amazon warehouses for fast shipping. That right there tells you there's no way for them to preprogram the product before shipping to you, they all come programmed a certain way (whichever way that is! lol).

It' a good idea to buy the flashlink updater no matter what, IMO.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Damnit, I don’t have the updater...
Old 12-14-2017, 08:35 AM
Snaoum
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I am in Framingham, MA and for anyone who needs their Fortin updated I have the hardware and software to do so. PM ME.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
Damnit, I don’t have the updater...
only cost around $45.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:40 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Installed the Fortin NIST1 today. Thanks for the write up, really helped!

Unlike many other people, I installed all the wires into the BCM. The lock/unlock wires from the Fortin EVO will be useful if I decide to go for the long-range remotes that are available.

Everything went perfectly, easy-peasy!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:06 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

I have Viper smartstart with GPS. They took it off their website because they have their own cellular remote start app now but it's only available in Canada. Just buy the box and it plugs into the fortin. The only thing that doesn't work through the app is the trunk release and sounding the alarm. The instructions are old but it's the same for the newer modules.

http://cdn02.fortin.ca/download/2012...uide-20121.pdf

Afterwards go on ebay and buy this to activate it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Directed-Vi...oD2j:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited by mummy2; 10-14-2018 at 09:15 PM.