Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Remote starter installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyfox16
Ok thanks! Did you get the smart start installed? i was wondering if it just plugs into the dball or if you have to connect extra wires for that part? I'm on the fence about just using the OEM remote or trying to add something else for longer range (just not sure how things hookup to the dball).
I did not use a Smart Start add-on, I chose to use the OEM keyfob.

From what I've read, the DBALL has a data port on it that nothing connects to (except the XKLoader during the flashing process). I believe Smart Start connects to this data port.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
DBALL will be all you need so save money by going with that.

DBALL and XKLoader2 were from eBay, and the harness came from a local distributor that sells Directed and Xpresskit gear. Go on Xpresskit's website to find a local dealer.

I just ordered a DBALL & harness, hoping it will be in this week...we shall see
Old 01-21-2014, 12:53 PM
91ZCpe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go get yourself a DBALL or a DBALL2 and a T-Harness. I have the XKLOADER2 to flash your module already.

I purchased the T-Harness from Kartunes in Sterling, VA and it's a direct plug and play - you only need to splice wires IIRC.
Awesome - would you be willing to help install (I can pay, bring food/drinks, etc)? I think I might go ahead and start ordering the parts for this.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 91ZCpe
Awesome - would you be willing to help install (I can pay, bring food/drinks, etc)? I think I might go ahead and start ordering the parts for this.
Absolutely. I'll use your install to create a DIY with pictures for everyone

Kartunes in Sterling, VA has the harness you need. I couldn't find it anywhere online so you'll need to source it locally.
The following users liked this post:
91ZCpe (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Skyfox16
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kartunes in Sterling, VA has the harness you need. I couldn't find it anywhere online so you'll need to source it locally.
a DIY would be awesome!! I'm looking around now to source some of these parts I'm just curious about the wires that were not directly plug and play. Where exactly is our bcm located? Also what do you put on the wire ends to insert them into the blank spots on the bcm?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:39 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

a DIY would be awesome!! I'm looking around now to source some of these parts I'm just curious about the wires that were not directly plug and play. Where exactly is our bcm located? Also what do you put on the wire ends to insert them into the blank spots on the bcm?
The BCM is on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you are sitting in the passenger seat and take your right foot and move it all the way to the right of the vehicle on the footwell, the BCM resides right behind that plastic panel.

The T-Harness comes with wires that have a pin to insert in the blank spots on the BCM plug. What I did was splice in ~4' of wire to each lead that travels to the BCM. That way the BCM pins remain on the end of each lead and can be inserted into the BCM. I also extended the PTS button wire as well. The wire they provided just wasn't long enough for my liking. When I extend wire, I solder in, heat shrink and then cable wrapped everything with OEM cable wrap. Looks a lot better than having these 3 wires just floating to one side of the vehicle IMO.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM
91ZCpe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. I'll run up there soon and grab one. I'll start looking for the dball as well.

Edit: called kartunes and no harnesses in stock. Have them on order but no eta. And they just had the dball2 in stock there for $120.

So I can buy either of these:
Amazon.com: Directed Electronics Inc. DBALL2 with Dual HS CAN Channels: Electronics Amazon.com: Directed Electronics Inc. DBALL2 with Dual HS CAN Channels: Electronics

Amazon.com: Xpres DBALL Kit Databus all Interface Module: Electronics Amazon.com: Xpres DBALL Kit Databus all Interface Module: Electronics

Can't find the harness online anywhere.

Last edited by 91ZCpe; 01-23-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Skyfox16
Registered Member

The BCM is on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you are sitting in the passenger seat and take your right foot and move it all the way to the right of the vehicle on the footwell, the BCM resides right behind that plastic panel.

The T-Harness comes with wires that have a pin to insert in the blank spots on the BCM plug. What I did was splice in ~4' of wire to each lead that travels to the BCM. That way the BCM pins remain on the end of each lead and can be inserted into the BCM. I also extended the PTS button wire as well. The wire they provided just wasn't long enough for my liking. When I extend wire, I solder in, heat shrink and then cable wrapped everything with OEM cable wrap. Looks a lot better than having these 3 wires just floating to one side of the vehicle IMO.
Thanks for all the info! So i found the pdf for the dball/t harness install:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...THNISS3_DL.PDF

it shows the t harness and then page 7 lists the wire connections - was it just the 3 wires that go to the bcd (colored green on page 7 #15,#37,#39)? and then just the PTS wire #4? and the rest is plug/play to the harness? I guess it would make more sense if i had all of the parts already - just trying to make sure i have all the info i need ahead of pulling my dash apart. Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
gb1295
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toolfetch.com has the T-harness for 51.61 plus shipping. Search Thniss3
Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 PM
JonMS

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gb1295
Toolfetch.com has the T-harness for 51.61 plus shipping. Search Thniss3
Toolfetch reviews | Customer reviews of Toolfetch | www.toolfetch.com yeah no thanks

EDIT: Best Buy appears to be an xpresskit dealer so I would try contacting them to see if they have or can get one. I'm going to call sometime next week
Old 01-25-2014, 05:56 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 91ZCpe
Awesome. I'll run up there soon and grab one. I'll start looking for the dball as well.

Edit: called kartunes and no harnesses in stock. Have them on order but no eta. And they just had the dball2 in stock there for $120.

So I can buy either of these:
Amazon.com: Directed Electronics Inc. DBALL2 with Dual HS CAN Channels: Electronics

Amazon.com: Xpres DBALL Kit Databus all Interface Module: Electronics

Can't find the harness online anywhere.
There are only a few places that sell the harnesses online. Keep in mind that the first link you provided is for a DBALL2 and that will use a different harness than the DBALL.

Thanks for all the info! So i found the pdf for the dball/t harness install:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...THNISS3_DL.PDF

it shows the t harness and then page 7 lists the wire connections - was it just the 3 wires that go to the bcd (colored green on page 7 #15,#37,#39)? and then just the PTS wire #4? and the rest is plug/play to the harness? I guess it would make more sense if i had all of the parts already - just trying to make sure i have all the info i need ahead of pulling my dash apart. Thanks again!
You've got it dead on. You will need to extend the wires all going to the BCM as I have stated previously. I added ~4-5' on there just to be safe and have slack to tuck the wires in a safe, neat place.

Be patient and take your time with everything - do not rush it. And when you have tested all your connections and your module is programmed correctly, tie everything up nice and neat out of the way.

Originally Posted by JonMS
Toolfetch reviews | Customer reviews of Toolfetch | www.toolfetch.com yeah no thanks

EDIT: Best Buy appears to be an xpresskit dealer so I would try contacting them to see if they have or can get one. I'm going to call sometime next week
My local Best Buy quoted me something like $90+shipping for the harness.

XpressKit.com - Where to buy will tell you where Xpresskit products can be purchased around your location.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 PM
JonMS

There are only a few places that sell the harnesses online. Keep in mind that the first link you provided is for a DBALL2 and that will use a different harness than the DBALL. You've got it dead on. You will need to extend the wires all going to the BCM as I have stated previously. I added ~4-5' on there just to be safe and have slack to tuck the wires in a safe, neat place. Be patient and take your time with everything - do not rush it. And when you have tested all your connections and your module is programmed correctly, tie everything up nice and neat out of the way. My local Best Buy quoted me something like $90+shipping for the harness. XpressKit.com - Where to buy will tell you where Xpresskit products can be purchased around your location.
That's what I used to figure out that bestbuy even sold xpresskit items. Went over there today and the nice girl couldn't find it for our cars in their system so she told me she couldn't order it. I'll figure something out.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by JonMS
That's what I used to figure out that bestbuy even sold xpresskit items. Went over there today and the nice girl couldn't find it for our cars in their system so she told me she couldn't order it. I'll figure something out.
Were you speaking to someone in the Car Audio department? I usually have better luck working directly with the install techs for items like these. Otherwise, where are you located? I could always pick one up for you out here and mail it.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Skyfox16
Registered Member

Were you speaking to someone in the Car Audio department? I usually have better luck working directly with the install techs for items like these. Otherwise, where are you located? I could always pick one up for you out here and mail it.
Does your place carry both cables? For some reason i am finding the Dball2 unit is about $10 cheaper than any of the regular Dball units, but i can't find the THNISS3C cable anywhere.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM
JonMS

I spoke to someone in the car audio department who then asked a tech. I'm located in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania (Philly). If you could actually get one, I'd throw in an extra 20 if you could extend it like you did to yours.

Last edited by JonMS; 01-26-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote starter installed!