Sponsored by:

What's next for Newt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You still have the OEM cats on the car, don't you?
Yes sir, I'm happy w/ the current sound, I heard the HFCs + the Top Speed doesn't sound as good, adds rasp
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Yes sir, I'm happy w/ the current sound, I heard the HFCs + the Top Speed doesn't sound as good, adds rasp
Fast Intentions makes a Resonated High-flow Cat, as you know.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...o-fi-rhfc.html

And I wasn't thinking about the sound, I was thinking about the added grunt.

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Since this is a newt appreciation thread, I'll throw in my thanks for all the help and quality posts. I've definitely gotten some great ideas and helpful DIY tips from him over the past year.

Hopefully what's next won't replace the G so he sticks around to help us all out =P. I know he has his eye on the new stingray and CLA AMG. Though I do still find it funny/awesome that the G is your wife's car and you put so much time and effort into it.

My G's modding progress has been unfortunately stopped for the next year or so I'm afraid. Might get some sway bars and then get Michelin PSS when the OEM ones wear down. You've got me really wanting some of those Nutek wheels though, I think they look great on your car. Alas, after purchasing a home, getting married, and planning to fund an MBA, funds for the G have been re-allocated.
blnewt (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

John, a little more pop wouldn't hurt but I'm pretty satisfied w/ the overall power as it sits, but it has been something I've mulled over, I know the RHFCs are a bit mellower sounding option but I really don't want any change w/ my exhaust note and I'm afraid there would be some detriment there.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by BLamb
Since this is a newt appreciation thread, I'll throw in my thanks for all the help and quality posts. I've definitely gotten some great ideas and helpful DIY tips from him over the past year.

Hopefully what's next won't replace the G so he sticks around to help us all out =P. I know he has his eye on the new stingray and CLA AMG. Though I do still find it funny/awesome that the G is your wife's car and you put so much time and effort into it.

My G's modding progress has been unfortunately stopped for the next year or so I'm afraid. Might get some sway bars and then get Michelin PSS when the OEM ones wear down. You've got me really wanting some of those Nutek wheels though, I think they look great on your car. Alas, after purchasing a home, getting married, and planning to fund an MBA, funds for the G have been re-allocated.
Thanks fro the kind words, it's been fun watching your G transform along w/ mine, these cars are pretty hard to leave alone

Sounds like you've had a pretty hectic but great last few months, congrats on all that. There's plenty of time to do stuff w/ your G, nothing wrong w/ putting it towards the bottom of things to do

These Nuteks are a nice look IMO and have been a solid and well balanced wheel. I've been happy w/ that purchase and luckily my wife's been on board w/ all this stuff. I do get to drive it to the gas station and on out of town road trips, so it's my car sometimes
BLamb (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

John, a little more pop wouldn't hurt but I'm pretty satisfied w/ the overall power as it sits, but it has been something I've mulled over, I know the RHFCs are a bit mellower sounding option but I really don't want any change w/ my exhaust note and I'm afraid there would be some detriment there.
I see. So that rules out rear gears, a CF driveshaft, the aforementioned lightweight crank pulley, a long-tube CAI, an UpRev tune, lone-tube headers, etc. It would certainly rule out forced induction.

So what you're saying is, any future mods would be entirely cosmetic?

Hmm. Got to think about that.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-04-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

OK then... cosmetic. How about something shiny for the underside?

RareJDM "Polished" Alumium Under Body Panel Review! (^_^) - G35Driver

...with an easy-access panel for oil changes:

blnewt (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I farted a rainbow! Funny thing happened, though... all the colors ran together and it came out brown.

D'OH!
The following 2 users liked this post by MACS:
blnewt (11-04-2013), twin_snails (08-08-2014)
Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I see. So that rules out rear gears, a CF driveshaft, the aforementioned lightweight crank pulley, a long-tube CAI, an UpRev tune, lone-tube headers, etc. It would certainly rule out forced induction.

So what you're saying is, any future mods would be entirely cosmetic?

Hmm. Got to think about that.

A Day in the Life of an Internet Car Forum - YouTube
There may be a couple things down the road that might add a bit to the output but I'm not really concerned about that. My next car will definitely be hot out of the box so there will be more performance in the future but like I said, I'm just fine w/ where the G's at performance wise
And BTW, you really are trying to get me in hot water w/ my better half, I was running out of ideas and you just have to go and give me several more items that I've got to contemplate.
Thanks for that
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Are you still using your OEM swaybar end-links? While that's something I've always considered replaced when broken, you have been lowered for a number of years, right? I bet you're on borrowed time there. Or they might be getting slowly sloppy, and you wouldn't know it, because it's so gradual.

Some beefy, adjustable end-links would be a good weekend project for you.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Ever troll through the list of suspension parts from GT-Spec that are applicable to the G37?

Here ya go: http://www.gtspec.com/catalog/produc...initi/2008-g37
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by MACS
I farted a rainbow! Funny thing happened, though... all the colors ran together and it came out brown.

D'OH!
MACS, I think you're confused, it sounds like you sharted Rainbows, big difference
twin_snails (08-08-2014)
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Are you still using your OEM swaybar end-links? While that's something I've always considered replaced when broken, you have been lowered for a number of years, right? I bet you're on borrowed time there. Or they might be getting slowly sloppy, and you wouldn't know it, because it's so gradual.

Some beefy, adjustable end-links would be a good weekend project for you.
I replaced my front drivers' side link w/ another OEM one when I installed my coilovers, put too much torque on the link and SNAP! Inspected all the links when I installed the S sways and they seem to be pretty sound but agree, that would be a worthwhile addition.

Ever troll through the list of suspension parts from GT-Spec that are applicable to the G37?

Here ya go: 2008 + G37 | www.gtspec.com
John, I think I'm beginning to see what's going on here, you're modding vicariously through me
Let the modding begin!!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

John, I think I'm beginning to see what's going on here, you're modding vicariously through me
There's some truth in that. I took out a 5-year note on the G, and am not even 2 years into it. So in that context, I limit my mods to about $2000/year... give or take. Tires (PSS and Blizzaks) take a big chunk out of that. It's OK to look at it this way, because I barely put 5-7K miles a year on the car. It's my DD, but since I've transitioned to working at home, I really don't need a car anymore, and we could get by just fine with one.

You now, I really only have my last car to gauge that modification discipline, but so far it's holding true. Plus, it lets me spread mods out year over year, so that I always have something to look forward to (and save up for).

So yes, if I can get you to buy something that's on my list for next Spring, next Fall, or 2, 3 or 4 years from now... then I suppose it is vicarious.

blnewt (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
MACS, I think you're confused, it sounds like you sharted Rainbows, big difference
Yeah... might have had too many skittles or sumpin'.

Quick Reply: What's next for Newt?