G37 Sedan

Thoughts on Tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM
g37x2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=STownSaint;3685051]OP it's all up to your preference, the "look" you want for your car, your willingness to ignore local laws (I never considered them and have never been ticketed...NY, NJ now VA/DC)

BUT if it were me and my car, I'd go 30% on a blk/blk G.

(FWIW I went the 20% on a blk/stone G, photo below)

I like how your car looks right now with that tint... It might appear lighter than mine because your interior is not black. Personally I'd do 20% tint but I'm worried that it will turn my car from classy to ganster/ricer.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I have black interior with 35%

Name:  Glendale-20120205-00037.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  116.4 KB
Name:  Glendale-20120629-00103.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  161.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
e_squa (01-02-2014)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
Yours is perfect Sniper. 35% all around is the route I will probably take as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
g37x2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with socketz67.....Sniper your tint percent looks good.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Well, then if it really is a safety issue, how come every state has different laws about how dark these tints can go? There's a difference between having a seatbelt (required by federal law) and tints (regulated by state.) If it was truly a safety issue, then DOT would have banned all tints, including those SUV's and vans with privacy glass (which do go down to 20% tint.)

In MA, you can tint all the windows except windshield up to 35%, which means the tint has to be 45% or more because our windows have a natural tint to them. Every state trooper has a tint meter they put to your window to measure and give you a $250 ticket if you have illegal tints.

In NJ, you can't tint the front driver and passenger side windows, but you can tint the rear windows any shade you want.

Do you want to know the real reason why there are "illegal tints?" It isn't auto safety to protect the driver. It is safety to protect the police when they come up to a car window with really dark tints that they can't see anything inside the vehicle. I find that the tints actually are better at night because people always have their high beams on and the glare is annoying on your rear view mirror. Tints also protect passengers from glass shattering to their faces in an accident and prevents break-ins.
Are you saying there is no safety issue because there is no federal law? I don't understand that logic. I’m sure you don’t really believe that yourself.

True, the police are threatened by approaching tinted windows at night, but that is only part of our tint laws. The real reason for these laws is safety. Your premise that tints protect passengers from class shattering is clever, but without much research to back it up. And the idea that everyone is driving around at night with their high beams on as a justification for illegal tint is nonsense.

Let’s face it. You, and many others on this forum, are rationalizing because you like the look and are willing to roll dice on the road at night to keep that look. All these pixs posted in these threads showing off the look sort of prove that. It's quite sad IMO.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:27 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by Chekov
Are you saying there is no safety issue because there is no federal law? I don't understand that logic. I’m sure you don’t really believe that yourself.

True, the police are threatened by approaching tinted windows at night, but that is only part of our tint laws. The real reason for these laws is safety. Your premise that tints protect passengers from class shattering is clever, but without much research to back it up. And the idea that everyone is driving around at night with their high beams on as a justification for illegal tint is nonsense.

Let’s face it. You, and many others on this forum, are rationalizing because you like the look and are willing to roll dice on the road at night to keep that look. All these pixs posted in these threads showing off the look sort of prove that. It's quite sad IMO.
So are you saying that there is no safety issue with the rear passenger windows and the rear glass being tinted? Because there is no law restricting those. Is it not dangerous for a SUV with factory tint in the rear windows to be backing up at night then?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by sniper27
So are you saying that there is no safety issue with the rear passenger windows and the rear glass being tinted? Because there is no law restricting those. Is it not dangerous for a SUV with factory tint in the rear windows to be backing up at night then?
Yes, I am saying that. That is why in most states there are few restrictions on rear glass. The prevailing view is that side mirrors are effective enough to see behind. Furthermore, backup cameras, soon to be mandatory on all new vehicles, also serve this purpose. I, for one, don’t understand how anyone can see effectively what’s behind him or her at night with dark tinted rear glass. It’s a compromise for sure, and compromises are not consistent with safe driving.

And I don’t understand what you mean by SUV factory tint in the rear windows. Other than the 70% tint that may have come with the vehicle, I didn’t know factory tint was any darker. If they do come that way then, yes, it would be dangerous when backing up at night.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by g37x2011
I have a 2011 g37x sedan Black. I need to get a tint on it. I was thinking 20% all around, no windshield tint. When I took it to the tint shop the owner told me dark tint won't look good on a black car including black interior. He told me to go lighter on the tint such as 30%. Any thoughts on what percent tint I should get?

Thanks!
I agree with what the shop owner said. Black with black interior looks much darker than something like a silver with grey interior. I'd go with ~30% tops. Ideally 15% rear, 30% sides, 50% windshield.

Personally, my G is platinum graphite (dark grey) with black interior and I have 5% rear, 15% sides, and 50% windshield. It's pretty darn dark when you're standing next to the car and the sun's glare shining at the right angle. In a "best case" scenario (sun at noon with moonroof open, just the shade not the glass), you can see through almost exactly like sniper27. This is from the side. From the rear, it's quite difficult to see through it. At night, it's almost impossible to see through it without some light shining from the opposite side.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM
sniper27

Yes, I am saying that. That is why in most states there are few restrictions on rear glass. The prevailing view is that side mirrors are effective enough to see behind. Furthermore, backup cameras, soon to be mandatory on all new vehicles, also serve this purpose. I, for one, don’t understand how anyone can see effectively what’s behind him or her at night with dark tinted rear glass. It’s a compromise for sure, and compromises are not consistent with safe driving.

And I don’t understand what you mean by SUV factory tint in the rear windows. Other than the 70% tint that may have come with the vehicle, I didn’t know factory tint was any darker. If they do come that way then, yes, it would be dangerous when backing up at night.
So for states that allow tints on front passenger windows, (Arizona, Neveda, etc.), is it safe there? If I moved to Arizona tomorrow, am I still rationalizing because I like the look of my tints?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by sniper27
So for states that allow tints on front passenger windows, (Arizona, Neveda, etc.), is it safe there? If I moved to Arizona tomorrow, am I still rationalizing because I like the look of my tints?
Again, you’re being a bit clever. Both states allow tint above the AS-1 line which is usually five inches down from the top of the windshield. This is the very tint on all Infinitis delivered from the factory. In other words, change nothing and you’re safe in Arizona.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 AM
sniper27

Again, you’re being a bit clever. Both states allow tint above the AS-1 line which is usually five inches down from the top of the windshield. This is the very tint on all Infinitis delivered from the factory. In other words, change nothing and you’re safe in Arizona.
I'm talking about the front passenger windows. No one said anything about the windshield.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
30% on sides with graphite interior, and 20% on the far back window. I have 0 issues seeing at night.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:32 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Uhh...no that's not the point I was making. If there was rationale for tints being unsafe, then the DOT would have banned all use of tints. As of right now, most SUV's and vans have tints DARKER from the factory than what is allowed by state law. In MA, you can only have tinted windows up to 35% that didn't come from the factory.

Aftermarket tints have been in the market for a very long time (before airbags were invented.) Don't you think that the DOT and NHTSA would have banned tints if it really was significantly unsafe for drivers? NHTSA already allows cars that have poor crash test ratings on the roads. There goes your theory about "laws" really keeping us safe.

And yeah, it doesn't take a genius to know that tints add an extra layer of protection to shattered glass. No matter what, it is still better than nothing.

Tints also prevent your car from getting too hot parked out in the sun, and is also a deterrent to thieves.

I also think driving with highbeams on blinding others from behind is WORSE than having tints on. You don't have any proof or source that tints are actually unsafe as you claim it to be?

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-04-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

First if all, I am not anti-tint. I am anti-illegal tint, like when some misguided owners who put 50% or more on their windshields. True, state tint laws vary, but using the absence of a federal law to argue that all tints are safe is an irrational leap with no merit.

All your other arguments about the joys of tint (helping glass not shattering, cooling the car’s interior, etc.) is often more rationalization to justify a recognized unsafe practice if the tints are too dark. To be honest about it, you’re not over-tinting your cars for that reason. You just like the look and the privacy you have, and are ignoring the safety issue. That’s why I first posted in this thread, because, once again, your only concern was being pulled over. I was trying have you pause for a second and consider the safety issue.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
My tint is illegal in my state, so I got a window tint prescription, and now it is not only legal, but legal enough to be recognized that it is perfectly safe... My states tint laws are 50%. So your saying 35 or 40% is unsafe? You can still see straight threw it, day or night.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Tint