Go Back   MyG37 > G-Spot > G37 Sedan
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageUsed CarsvBLiveVendor Directory TSBs
Search

Welcome to myG37 forums!
Welcome to myG37 Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join myG37 Forums today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
g37x2011
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=STownSaint;3685051]OP it's all up to your preference, the "look" you want for your car, your willingness to ignore local laws (I never considered them and have never been ticketed...NY, NJ now VA/DC)

BUT if it were me and my car, I'd go 30% on a blk/blk G.

(FWIW I went the 20% on a blk/stone G, photo below)


I like how your car looks right now with that tint... It might appear lighter than mine because your interior is not black. Personally I'd do 20% tint but I'm worried that it will turn my car from classy to ganster/ricer.
__________________
2011 G37X Black Sedan
g37x2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
sniper27
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (2)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S. Cal
Posts: 2,822
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
I have black interior with 35%

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sniper27 For This Useful Post:
e_squa (01-02-2014)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
socketz67
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 558
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Yours is perfect Sniper. 35% all around is the route I will probably take as well.
socketz67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
g37x2011
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with socketz67.....Sniper your tint percent looks good.
__________________
2011 G37X Black Sedan
g37x2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
Chekov
Senior Citizen

 
Chekov's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathnerd88 View Post
Well, then if it really is a safety issue, how come every state has different laws about how dark these tints can go? There's a difference between having a seatbelt (required by federal law) and tints (regulated by state.) If it was truly a safety issue, then DOT would have banned all tints, including those SUV's and vans with privacy glass (which do go down to 20% tint.)

In MA, you can tint all the windows except windshield up to 35%, which means the tint has to be 45% or more because our windows have a natural tint to them. Every state trooper has a tint meter they put to your window to measure and give you a $250 ticket if you have illegal tints.

In NJ, you can't tint the front driver and passenger side windows, but you can tint the rear windows any shade you want.

Do you want to know the real reason why there are "illegal tints?" It isn't auto safety to protect the driver. It is safety to protect the police when they come up to a car window with really dark tints that they can't see anything inside the vehicle. I find that the tints actually are better at night because people always have their high beams on and the glare is annoying on your rear view mirror. Tints also protect passengers from glass shattering to their faces in an accident and prevents break-ins.
Are you saying there is no safety issue because there is no federal law? I don't understand that logic. I’m sure you don’t really believe that yourself.

True, the police are threatened by approaching tinted windows at night, but that is only part of our tint laws. The real reason for these laws is safety. Your premise that tints protect passengers from class shattering is clever, but without much research to back it up. And the idea that everyone is driving around at night with their high beams on as a justification for illegal tint is nonsense.

Let’s face it. You, and many others on this forum, are rationalizing because you like the look and are willing to roll dice on the road at night to keep that look. All these pixs posted in these threads showing off the look sort of prove that. It's quite sad IMO.
__________________
'08 G37 Coupe, Journey w/nav, prem. Blue Slate/Stone
Chekov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
sniper27
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (2)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S. Cal
Posts: 2,822
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chekov View Post
Are you saying there is no safety issue because there is no federal law? I don't understand that logic. Iím sure you donít really believe that yourself.

True, the police are threatened by approaching tinted windows at night, but that is only part of our tint laws. The real reason for these laws is safety. Your premise that tints protect passengers from class shattering is clever, but without much research to back it up. And the idea that everyone is driving around at night with their high beams on as a justification for illegal tint is nonsense.

Letís face it. You, and many others on this forum, are rationalizing because you like the look and are willing to roll dice on the road at night to keep that look. All these pixs posted in these threads showing off the look sort of prove that. It's quite sad IMO.
So are you saying that there is no safety issue with the rear passenger windows and the rear glass being tinted? Because there is no law restricting those. Is it not dangerous for a SUV with factory tint in the rear windows to be backing up at night then?
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
Chekov
Senior Citizen

 
Chekov's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper27 View Post
So are you saying that there is no safety issue with the rear passenger windows and the rear glass being tinted? Because there is no law restricting those. Is it not dangerous for a SUV with factory tint in the rear windows to be backing up at night then?
Yes, I am saying that. That is why in most states there are few restrictions on rear glass. The prevailing view is that side mirrors are effective enough to see behind. Furthermore, backup cameras, soon to be mandatory on all new vehicles, also serve this purpose. I, for one, donít understand how anyone can see effectively whatís behind him or her at night with dark tinted rear glass. Itís a compromise for sure, and compromises are not consistent with safe driving.

And I donít understand what you mean by SUV factory tint in the rear windows. Other than the 70% tint that may have come with the vehicle, I didnít know factory tint was any darker. If they do come that way then, yes, it would be dangerous when backing up at night.
__________________
'08 G37 Coupe, Journey w/nav, prem. Blue Slate/Stone
Chekov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
crazjayz
Registered User

 
crazjayz's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 448
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g37x2011 View Post
I have a 2011 g37x sedan Black. I need to get a tint on it. I was thinking 20% all around, no windshield tint. When I took it to the tint shop the owner told me dark tint won't look good on a black car including black interior. He told me to go lighter on the tint such as 30%. Any thoughts on what percent tint I should get?

Thanks!
I agree with what the shop owner said. Black with black interior looks much darker than something like a silver with grey interior. I'd go with ~30% tops. Ideally 15% rear, 30% sides, 50% windshield.

Personally, my G is platinum graphite (dark grey) with black interior and I have 5% rear, 15% sides, and 50% windshield. It's pretty darn dark when you're standing next to the car and the sun's glare shining at the right angle. In a "best case" scenario (sun at noon with moonroof open, just the shade not the glass), you can see through almost exactly like sniper27. This is from the side. From the rear, it's quite difficult to see through it. At night, it's almost impossible to see through it without some light shining from the opposite side.
__________________
2009 K51 G37 Sedan | Premium | Nav
crazjayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
sniper27
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (2)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S. Cal
Posts: 2,822
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chekov View Post
Yes, I am saying that. That is why in most states there are few restrictions on rear glass. The prevailing view is that side mirrors are effective enough to see behind. Furthermore, backup cameras, soon to be mandatory on all new vehicles, also serve this purpose. I, for one, don’t understand how anyone can see effectively what’s behind him or her at night with dark tinted rear glass. It’s a compromise for sure, and compromises are not consistent with safe driving.

And I don’t understand what you mean by SUV factory tint in the rear windows. Other than the 70% tint that may have come with the vehicle, I didn’t know factory tint was any darker. If they do come that way then, yes, it would be dangerous when backing up at night.
So for states that allow tints on front passenger windows, (Arizona, Neveda, etc.), is it safe there? If I moved to Arizona tomorrow, am I still rationalizing because I like the look of my tints?
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Chekov
Senior Citizen

 
Chekov's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper27 View Post
So for states that allow tints on front passenger windows, (Arizona, Neveda, etc.), is it safe there? If I moved to Arizona tomorrow, am I still rationalizing because I like the look of my tints?
Again, youíre being a bit clever. Both states allow tint above the AS-1 line which is usually five inches down from the top of the windshield. This is the very tint on all Infinitis delivered from the factory. In other words, change nothing and youíre safe in Arizona.
__________________
'08 G37 Coupe, Journey w/nav, prem. Blue Slate/Stone
Chekov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #26
sniper27
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (2)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S. Cal
Posts: 2,822
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chekov View Post
Again, youíre being a bit clever. Both states allow tint above the AS-1 line which is usually five inches down from the top of the windshield. This is the very tint on all Infinitis delivered from the factory. In other words, change nothing and youíre safe in Arizona.
I'm talking about the front passenger windows. No one said anything about the windshield.
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #27
WannabeSport
Registered User

 
WannabeSport's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,673
Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Send a message via AIM to WannabeSport Send a message via Yahoo to WannabeSport
30% on sides with graphite interior, and 20% on the far back window. I have 0 issues seeing at night.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Present: '13 G37xS Sedan Moonlight White/Graphite-Premium/Sport/Nav
-Illuminated Kick Plates, Midnight Grill/Sport Spoiler, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, CURT Trailer Hitch, 30% Tint-
-08 Suzuki GSXR600
-07 Suzuki DRZ400SM BRAAP.

Past- '05 5AT G35 Sedan, '08 6MT G35S Sedan
WannabeSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #28
mathnerd88
Registered User
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chekov View Post
Are you saying there is no safety issue because there is no federal law? I don't understand that logic. I’m sure you don’t really believe that yourself.

True, the police are threatened by approaching tinted windows at night, but that is only part of our tint laws. The real reason for these laws is safety. Your premise that tints protect passengers from class shattering is clever, but without much research to back it up. And the idea that everyone is driving around at night with their high beams on as a justification for illegal tint is nonsense.

Let’s face it. You, and many others on this forum, are rationalizing because you like the look and are willing to roll dice on the road at night to keep that look. All these pixs posted in these threads showing off the look sort of prove that. It's quite sad IMO.
Uhh...no that's not the point I was making. If there was rationale for tints being unsafe, then the DOT would have banned all use of tints. As of right now, most SUV's and vans have tints DARKER from the factory than what is allowed by state law. In MA, you can only have tinted windows up to 35% that didn't come from the factory.

Aftermarket tints have been in the market for a very long time (before airbags were invented.) Don't you think that the DOT and NHTSA would have banned tints if it really was significantly unsafe for drivers? NHTSA already allows cars that have poor crash test ratings on the roads. There goes your theory about "laws" really keeping us safe.

And yeah, it doesn't take a genius to know that tints add an extra layer of protection to shattered glass. No matter what, it is still better than nothing.

Tints also prevent your car from getting too hot parked out in the sun, and is also a deterrent to thieves.

I also think driving with highbeams on blinding others from behind is WORSE than having tints on. You don't have any proof or source that tints are actually unsafe as you claim it to be?
__________________
07 G35x || Tech || Hotchkis Sways || R2C Intake || Osram 66240CBI || Tanabe Medalion

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-04-2013 at 05:43 AM..
mathnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #29
Chekov
Senior Citizen

 
Chekov's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
First if all, I am not anti-tint. I am anti-illegal tint, like when some misguided owners who put 50% or more on their windshields. True, state tint laws vary, but using the absence of a federal law to argue that all tints are safe is an irrational leap with no merit.

All your other arguments about the joys of tint (helping glass not shattering, cooling the carís interior, etc.) is often more rationalization to justify a recognized unsafe practice if the tints are too dark. To be honest about it, youíre not over-tinting your cars for that reason. You just like the look and the privacy you have, and are ignoring the safety issue. Thatís why I first posted in this thread, because, once again, your only concern was being pulled over. I was trying have you pause for a second and consider the safety issue.
__________________
'08 G37 Coupe, Journey w/nav, prem. Blue Slate/Stone
Chekov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
WannabeSport
Registered User

 
WannabeSport's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,673
Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Send a message via AIM to WannabeSport Send a message via Yahoo to WannabeSport
My tint is illegal in my state, so I got a window tint prescription, and now it is not only legal, but legal enough to be recognized that it is perfectly safe... My states tint laws are 50%. So your saying 35 or 40% is unsafe? You can still see straight threw it, day or night.
__________________
Present: '13 G37xS Sedan Moonlight White/Graphite-Premium/Sport/Nav
-Illuminated Kick Plates, Midnight Grill/Sport Spoiler, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, CURT Trailer Hitch, 30% Tint-
-08 Suzuki GSXR600
-07 Suzuki DRZ400SM BRAAP.

Past- '05 5AT G35 Sedan, '08 6MT G35S Sedan
WannabeSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM
MyG37
Infiniti G37




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Copyright ©2002 - 2009, MYG37.COM All Rights Reserved.



Contacts Backup