Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

R2C Intake - Lessons Learned

Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by lightlypurified
k&n and rc2 intakes claims their cold air intakes but they all look like heat soakers only difference is they have heat shields but your still sucking in hot air, stillen gen 2 looks like a better short ram that sucks in cold air.
Yeah, they at least try to avoid sucking in hot air
Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yeah, they at least try to avoid sucking in hot air
the old vq35 hks suction intake they made actually had a heat shield wonder why they didnt make one for the vq37.

Name:  download-1.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  10.1 KB
Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
I went with the AFE takeda attack stage 2 long tube intakes. Gotta say I don't know how the stillen performs (I'm sure wonderfully), but wow I was very impressed with the difference the takeda system made on the power and sound of my 37 vert. Whew!! Only paid $350 for it on eBay....great deal! Less great once I realized they didn't include the splash shield. So all in all great sys w great price, +19 hp.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfire32
I went with the AFE takeda attack stage 2 long tube intakes. Gotta say I don't know how the stillen performs (I'm sure wonderfully), but wow I was very impressed with the difference the takeda system made on the power and sound of my 37 vert. Whew!! Only paid $350 for it on eBay....great deal! Less great once I realized they didn't include the splash shield. So all in all great sys w great price, +19 hp.
Did you dyno +19 HP or is that Takeda's claim?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
2 Years Later

It's been two years, 10K miles, and two Upstate NY winters since installing the R2C Intake Kit. Today, I'm taking it completely apart, and cleaning things up.

While doing this, I have some immediate observations:

1. The heat shields are very poorly painted. Both of them have a fair amount of surface rust, on both sides of the sheet metal. It's really disappointing. So I'm going to prime and paint with satin black. I'm no expert in painting, but I suspect it will look much better than it does right now.

2. The pop-chargers (conical air filters) look totally clean. That doesn't mean they actually are, but meh. I suspect that has to do with where I live and there only being 10K miles on them. In any event, I'm good, and have no intention of replacing them this year.

3. The mid-pipes have a milky kind of sheen to them, and are rough to the touch, which I attribute simply to being exposed to heat and elements for the last two years. However, unlike the less expensive black-painted mid-pipes, the Black Nickel version is a plating process, not paint or powdercoat. So a little bit of elbow-grease with some Mothers Mag & Aluminum cleaner, and they look freaking gorgeous again. Absolutely, perfectly beautiful.

So I got that going for me.

Some Armor All, tire gel, paint and metal polish.... it all looks good as new.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-03-2015 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
doublea88 (07-03-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 AM
wekiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's been two years, 10K miles, and two Upstate NY winters since installing the R2C Intake Kit. Today, I'm taking it completely apart, and cleaning things up.

While doing this, I have some immediate observations:

1. The heat shields are very poorly painted. Both of them have a fair amount of surface rust, on both sides of the sheet metal. It's really disappointing. So I'm going to prime and paint with satin black. I'm no expert in painting, but I suspect it will look much better than it does right now.

2. The pop-chargers (conical air filters) look totally clean. That doesn't mean they actually are, but meh. I suspect that has to do with where I live and there only being 10K miles on them. In any event, I'm good, and have no intention of replacing them this year.

3. The mid-pipes have a milky kind of sheen to them, and are rough to the touch, which I attribute simply to being exposed to heat and elements for the last two years. However, unlike the less expensive black-painted mid-pipes, the Black Nickel version is a plating process, not paint or powdercoat. So a little bit of elbow-grease with some Mothers Mag & Aluminum cleaner, and they look freaking gorgeous again. Absolutely, perfectly beautiful.

So I got that going for me.

Some Armor All, tire gel, paint and metal polish.... it all looks good as new.

Thank you for the forum and your write up! I am planning to begin diving into modifying my G37S and this will probably be my first mod. I like the Black Nickel a lot...basically the reason for my interest. I have modified my past vehicles...but not for the family daily drivers!

Thank you again Rochester!
Rochester (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by wekiser
Thank you for the forum and your write up! I am planning to begin diving into modifying my G37S and this will probably be my first mod. I like the Black Nickel a lot...basically the reason for my interest. I have modified my past vehicles...but not for the family daily drivers!

Thank you again Rochester!
Kind words. Thanks, wekiser.

Here's a recent picture, two years after the original install, and after cleaning things up earlier this month. Everything looks pretty much like the same pic from two years ago... which isn't really a bad thing, LOL.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

After two years, rather than clean the original filters, I went and replaced them. I know I said a few months ago that I had no intention of doing so, but after thinking more about it, I decided to do so anyway, because replacement means an upgrade.

So here's a side-by-side of the original filter next to the new R2C Black Hex Series.

For better or worse... I honestly can't tell. But they're different, so I did it.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-06-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Rochester, you take very great detailed photos I have to add.

The old filters are you going to clean them and sell them? Or keep them as a backup pair when you clean the Black Hex ones down the road.

I just purchased an R2C intake a few weeks back and followed your observation guide post and it was super helpful to make it look as clean as possible. I had previous R2C intakes so I knew what to expect as far as the panels rusting. I am planning on learning to powdercoat (apparently its fairly easy as long as you have a large enough oven to bake the parts in afterward) I'll be powdercoating all my panels/parts in the future.
Rochester (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by djdiskino
Rochester, you take very great detailed photos I have to add.
Thanks, man. I try.

Here's a more detailed post over in my progress thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post3955653

The old filters are you going to clean them and sell them? Or keep them as a backup pair when you clean the Black Hex ones down the road.
I just put the old ones in the new boxes, and stuck them in the attic... where there's a lot of old car parts taking up space. Figure to keep them as a back-up, just in case something happens. IDK what that could be. I suppose if a PS or coolant fluid leak sprayed junk all over the engine bay. Gremlins.

I just purchased an R2C intake a few weeks back and followed your observation guide post and it was super helpful to make it look as clean as possible. I had previous R2C intakes so I knew what to expect as far as the panels rusting. I am planning on learning to powdercoat (apparently its fairly easy as long as you have a large enough oven to bake the parts in afterward) I'll be powdercoating all my panels/parts in the future.
Happy to have helped. Over the years, pictures and forum posts have become as much a part of this hobby as owning and driving.

Powdercoating the heat shields would be the ultimate way to go.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Going back and re-reading this thread, I had commented about the breather hoses from the VC's to the mid-pipes, and how the hoses that R2C gives you with the kit are poorly designed for fitment. My solution was to re-use the OEM hoses, but cut to fit better.

Well, still a better solution than that is to use the breather hoses from Z1 Motorsports. A few months ago, RexHavoc very kindly sent me his, after he upgraded to a ridonkulously expensive and beautiful catch-can design. Turns out the Z1 Motorsports hoses are a much better fit for the R2C intake.

Here's their link:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...es-p-4752.html

..and here is a pic from their website:

Last edited by Rochester; 10-06-2015 at 09:38 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rochester:
djdiskino (10-06-2015), mdmill1 (10-06-2015), RexHavoc (03-23-2016), VIVID (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:03 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
I was all over those silicone babies until I checked out the price. actually it's not so much the price itself. It's the price plus shipping.

Still like 'em though. They just go lower on the mod wish list.

Thanks for highlighting them. Another little way to feed my hobby.

Sean
Old 03-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Somebody just PM'd me questions from this thread, and in looking it over, I realized there's no picture of these Black Hex filters on the car.

I like the black band with the logo and the label. But I don't think it needs to be on both, so I turned the driver's side down, for an asymmetrical look.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:11 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
This is one of the best write-ups I've seen on this forum John great job man
Rochester (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 338 Likes on 233 Posts
So tempted just to pull the trigger on these, but I need to calm down. lol

Search this Thread