Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

R2C Intake - Lessons Learned

Old 11-06-2013, 04:43 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Two questions about the hood liner removal:

1. Did you notice any increase in NVH from the engine bay as a result?

2. If one were to remove the hood lining and not like the results, is it easy to put back?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by hinomura
1. Did you notice any increase in NVH from the engine bay as a result?
None that I recall. Remember though, one of the reasons I removed the hood liner was so that I could hear the intake better, so in that context... then yes, absolutely. It all depends on what you mean. Added "bad" noise? No. Added "good" noise? Yes.

Originally Posted by hinomura
2. If one were to remove the hood lining and not like the results, is it easy to put back?
Yes, absolutely. However, you may not be able to re-use all of the original clips, if the retaining fins on the clips are too damaged to be useful. Only you can decide that. And if you need new clips, then hop down to your nearest dealership and buy some clips.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ood-liner.html

Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 AM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the hood liner is a fire blanket designed to drop down onto the engine and help snuff or slow any burning when the plastic clips melt. it's a safety device especially for modified cars.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:40 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by vactor
the hood liner is a fire blanket designed to drop down onto the engine and help snuff or slow any burning when the plastic clips melt. it's a safety device especially for modified cars.
I.....did not even consider that. That makes sense.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's not an uncommon interpretation, and makes sense in the context of conventional wisdom. You'll find that opinion often if you research why the liner is there.

However it's also one I don't buy into. It's there to reduce engine noise.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
You'd have to have a pretty serious engine fire to melt ALL of the clips and have the hood liner drop down.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:27 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Talk about spot on, thank you Rochester. I used almost all of your tips and lessons learned. I'll need to go back in and drill the passenger side to bolt the stripping down but everything else worked great. I used a bunch of the rubber and SS washers and nyloc nuts. I'll probably pick up a couple more just to make myself feel better.

I'm not crazy about the tubing that came with it, I'm considering going with a three inch HPS instead. The drivers side seems to want to keep walking a bit, three inches may be too long don't know yet. And the stealth clamps you linked to, think they're going to be ordered as well eventually.

My only concern is the adverse impact on my MPG, other than that I'm liking it so far!
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Talk about spot on, thank you Rochester. I used almost all of your tips and lessons learned. I'll need to go back in and drill the passenger side to bolt the stripping down but everything else worked great. I used a bunch of the rubber and SS washers and nyloc nuts. I'll probably pick up a couple more just to make myself feel better.

I'm not crazy about the tubing that came with it, I'm considering going with a three inch HPS instead. The drivers side seems to want to keep walking a bit, three inches may be too long don't know yet. And the stealth clamps you linked to, think they're going to be ordered as well eventually.

My only concern is the adverse impact on my MPG, other than that I'm liking it so far!
You're very welcome, Havoc. It's gratifying knowing the thread helped someone out, so I appreciate your comments.

3" couplers, eh? The midpipe bends right away after the throttle bodies, and a 3" coupler wouldn't make that bend, IMO. Don't over-tighten the clamps... that might be the problem here. Good luck.

MPG issues? IDK about that. Mine's gone down a tick because I love hearing the intake. I suppose that happens.

Let's see pics of those Stealth Clamps when you get them.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:37 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You're very welcome, Havoc. It's gratifying knowing the thread helped someone out, so I appreciate your comments.

3" couplers, eh? The midpipe bends right away after the throttle bodies, and a 3" coupler wouldn't make that bend, IMO. Don't over-tighten the clamps... that might be the problem here. Good luck.

MPG issues? IDK about that. Mine's gone down a tick because I love hearing the intake. I suppose that happens.

Let's see pics of those Stealth Clamps when you get them.
I'm confident I over tightened, I'll adjust it in the am. Damn thing got hot!

My MPG issues will be the same as yours, loved hearing it and was keeping it in the sweet spot range. The heavier my foot, the sweeter the sound.

I think you're right, the coupler wouldn't make that bend but I was thinking it may give it some reliefs to sit where it wants to. Mind you, I'm wrong more than I'm right.... I'll poke around a bit throughout the week and see how things look.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Zeav Ott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Rochester, GREAT review man, really good stuff. I was wondering if you could help me out with a few quick things. (Sorry for the n00bish nature of the questions you're about to read

1. For the Stealth Clamps, which size is appropriate to order?
2. For the driver side hoses (not the coupler, but the 1 hose underneath), is there a specific size you've noticed works well? I've been challenged by finding something at the correct length and also flexible enough.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zeav Ott
Hey Rochester, GREAT review man, really good stuff. I was wondering if you could help me out with a few quick things. (Sorry for the n00bish nature of the questions you're about to read

1. For the Stealth Clamps, which size is appropriate to order?
2. For the driver side hoses (not the coupler, but the 1 hose underneath), is there a specific size you've noticed works well? I've been challenged by finding something at the correct length and also flexible enough.

Thanks
You're welcome. Glad it helped.

1. Ask RexHavoc about the stealth clamps. He just ordered some, and will likely post pics soon enough. The clamps that comes with the R2C kit are the identical dimensions as the worm clamps that are already on the OEM flex tube.

2. I used the VC breather hoses that are already on the car, just shaved some off the passenger side length is all. To get the fitment right, it takes some patience, but it's not rocket science either. Actually, the breather hoses significantly assist in stabilizing the new mid-pipe. Take your time, and you'll figure it out.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Great write up. I hadn't started to consider adding an intake to my G till I bought my '11 and this was the thread I had been looking for. R2C is within the next couple of mods on my list. Can't wait to install it and start getting more hands on with modding.

I have to ask... how to you keep your engine bay so clean?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by My'09G37X
I have to ask... how to you keep your engine bay so clean?
Just do, man.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:03 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts

Let's see pics of those Stealth Clamps when you get them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think thats my issue with the percieved decrease in MPG. I love hearing my Typhoons. They just howl after 3000 RPM
Old 11-28-2013, 10:10 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I post pics and my thoughts on the clamps when I get them. Hopefully they'll be here early next week. I want to say that I ordered 3 inch clamps but I'll confirm once they get here. (If they fit, otherwise I shall have to figure out an excuse as to how their shipping department screwed up)

I think they're running a BF sale right now but I can't say for certain if there really functionally different. I've had good luck rattle canning SS clamps in the past just don't have a garage to use right now.

I'm confident the MPG issue is mostly me looking for the howl and running the car instead if sitting quietly in traffic. I'm getting better, for now, but if I can get the RHFCs on next week I may be back to square one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R2C Intake - Lessons Learned