G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wing Roof Spoiler by ShadowSpeed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I am not completely sold on the roof spoiler yet, but yes, I would be going the gloss black route if I did. I always liked the look of a white MB E350 with the black roof spoiler. My issue with a white roof spoiler on a MW car is that it makes your rear window looks so much smaller, and the roof line extended too far back. With a gloss black roof spoiler against MW, you don't really change the look of the roof line/rear window.

Rochester, the above pic from 180custom is a GTspec/Ravspec spoiler, I believe.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm not a big Stillen fan though their G3 intake is probably one of the best for the G37. For me the spoiler it a little too big and too expensive ($65 v. $250 painted).

I think if you have a MW car with just a black spoiler it would looked tacked-on. You would need something else whether it is a black roof, darker wheels, darker trunk lip, etc.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
I am not completely sold on the roof spoiler yet, but yes, I would be going the gloss black route if I did. I always liked the look of a white MB E350 with the black roof spoiler. My issue with a white roof spoiler on a MW car is that it makes your rear window looks so much smaller, and the roof line extended too far back. With a gloss black roof spoiler against MW, you don't really change the look of the roof line/rear window.
I'm googling the Benz with a roof spoiler. That is nice. Low, flat, very OEM-ish.

Rochester, the above pic from 180custom is a GTspec/Ravspec spoiler, I believe.
Yes, I think you're right. So hard to figure these things out through the interwebz.

Originally Posted by rks
I'm not a big Stillen fan though their G3 intake is probably one of the best for the G37. For me the spoiler it a little too big and too expensive ($65 v. $250 painted).
For the most part I agree with that. I've always considered Stillen overpriced in all things. But having consistent quality, too.

Originally Posted by rks
I think if you have a MW car with just a black spoiler it would looked tacked-on. You would need something else whether it is a black roof, darker wheels, darker trunk lip, etc.
Rear-door windows and rear window are tinted black. That should be enough.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rks
Actually, rks... I think you're right about that. Here's a pic of a white G with a wrapped roof and a black spoiler. If the roof were also white, it would look tacked-on. And to me, it doesn't work with the chome window trim.

I think I'm talking myself out of this.... probably for the 3rd or 4th time, too. Oh well.

Name:  downsize3.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 PM
imdbd

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
any thoughts on plasti-dipping the roof wing? i know some people are dead set on hating plasti dip and some aren't...so just thought i'd ask
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by imdbd
any thoughts on plasti-dipping the roof wing? i know some people are dead set on hating plasti dip and some aren't...so just thought i'd ask
I've done the plasti-dip thing, nice to see a particular look but not something that enhances the car IMO, the rubbery coarse texture doesn't really go w/ the smooth gloss surfaces, also hard to clean IME. It's one of those things to try out short term, then move on to something more permanent and better looking for the duration.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 PM
imdbd

Originally Posted by blnewt
I've done the plasti-dip thing, nice to see a particular look but not something that enhances the car IMO, the rubbery coarse texture doesn't really go w/ the smooth gloss surfaces, also hard to clean IME. It's one of those things to try out short term, then move on to something more permanent and better looking for the duration.
thanks for the input blnewt...i've heard the same stuff you said from people i've asked...and i agree that the roof wing wouldn't look that great dipped...color matching ftw
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM
builtoorder

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Reading back on this thread, and this caught my interest. Kinkbmxrydr, post some pictures of the Stillen on your car for comparison. I'd like to see this, please.

This is the picture on Stillen's website:

Seeing the rims and drop and absent trunk spoiler on that Journey Sedan, and I'm thinking that's your car:

I'd like to see this Stillen roof wing in better detail, please. Either here or in your MW thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...te-sedans.html

Thanks, boss!
Sorry for the delay. Per your request in moonlight white.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kinkbmxrydr
Sorry for the delay. Per your request in moonlight white.
Thank you, Kinkbmxrydr. IMO that's the best looking roof-wing of the bunch. Stillen, right? Yours is the car that Stillen uses on their website? It looks like perfect fitment. I need to eyeball these pics for a while.

Also... did you consider going black with that wing before painting it MW?

Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM
builtoorder

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, that is my car that stillen used. Fitment is great and I think it's a great addition to the sedan. I never really thought about leaving it black since I wanted a clean OEM look therefore I opted to get it paint matched

I've compared many different roof spoilers for our car and narrowed it down to stillen. They have the best looking one
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM
sniper27

Not bad...I think I still prefer the GTspec one. I like the flatter rather than the curved up look.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Not bad...I think I still prefer the GTspec one. I like the flatter rather than the curved up look.
Certainly the Stillen is less curved than the ShadowSpeed in this thread.

Sniper, do you have a pics of a moonlight white painted GT-Spec roof wing? Those pictures from Kinkbmxrydr totally showcase the Stillen wing as good as any picture can. So it would be good to see the comparison. Here's a quick on-lind find on the GT-Spec:

It does seem flat, but I'm liking the design on the Stillen ends better. Also, the Stillen wing tapers thin to the roof line, whereas the GT-Spec seems kind of bulbous at that point.

And here's another perspective on Kinkbmxrydr's Stillen roof wing, clipped from his profile shot. From this perspective, there is definitely an upward curve to it. To me, every angle of this wing looks fantastic... except this one. Dammit.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM
sniper27

I do not at the moment. I'l try and find one.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 AM
imdbd

i have platinum graphite (k51) sedan and i definitely want one. should i color match or get black?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by imdbd
i have platinum graphite (k51) sedan and i definitely want one. should i color match or get black?
I would recommend going with color match.

The only reason to go with black would be if you plan on wrapping/painting the roof also black...that way it flows.
The following users liked this post:
imdbd (06-18-2013)

Quick Reply: Rear Wing Roof Spoiler by ShadowSpeed