G37 Sedan

? for those that have experienced the lid cluster squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
samps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? for those that have experienced the lid cluster squeak

All,

I'm trying to figure out how I can address a squeak in the lid cluster on a 2008 G35 sedan. If I press down on the circled area in the pic shown, it makes the noise. The same noise comes over moderate bumps. It's driving me crazy. If I can fix this I'm going to keep the car for a bit as the mileage is super low (then maybe a Q50 later). Otherwise I might just blow the thing up.

Anyways, I did some research and found this thread:

Steering Wheel Rattle/Squeak - G35Driver

Which seems to indicate that replacement of the lid cluster will address it.

Questions for those that have experienced this noise and fixed it:

1. Did you replace the lid cluster and did it fix the problem?
2. Did you try anything else?
3. Any further issues?

TIA
Attached Thumbnails ? for those that have experienced the lid cluster squeak-bk0lf5gcgk-kgrhqqh-dyes-rl9so5blzj-jpifg-_35.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting. I literally just posted a question about a squeak I'm getting from my '09. However...mine ONLY happens for just a second, when the motorized cluster is moving in or out of position, upon starting the ignition. It has not, and does not squeak (thankfully) while I drive, even over bumps. I wonder if this is the same culprit, though?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2009 G37 Journey was doing the same thing. I had the lid cluster replaced and I was hearing more noise. Turns out the installer didn't install it correctly. So I took it back to get it done right. Finally the rattling noise was gone. But then I noticed my center LCD info screen was scratched. So I took it back again. My car is currently at the dealer as they had to order a new LCD screen and program the current mileage onto the new one. I should have my ride back by Friday. The tech said I have a good eye as I was able to spot the scratch on the LCD screen.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
oliveview

Originally Posted by JayDeePee
My 2009 G37 Journey was doing the same thing. I had the lid cluster replaced and I was hearing more noise. Turns out the installer didn't install it correctly. So I took it back to get it done right. Finally the rattling noise was gone. But then I noticed my center LCD info screen was scratched. So I took it back again. My car is currently at the dealer as they had to order a new LCD screen and program the current mileage onto the new one. I should have my ride back by Friday. The tech said I have a good eye as I was able to spot the scratch on the LCD screen.
This is why I have no great motivation to give my car to the dealer. The amount of work they need to do to ultimately tame one little squeak, is just not worth it to me, knowing that the odds are very good that they'll mess something else up in the process.

Now, if the squeak starts happening when I'm driving...then my attitude will change, fast. But so far it just happens only when the cluster is moving in or out of position.

In fact, I'm not even sure that this is the same issue that others are facing? Was yours noisy all the time, while driving?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 PM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed some noise was being caused by the cover that exposes the screws under the lid cluster. There is a metal bracket that holds the bottom piece together. The cover may not be seated into the grooves. I noticed it was rubbing against the steering column panel. I hope the dealership gets it right this time around.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
samps

I think I may try to have the lid cluster replaced. If the cost is too high I might attempt it myself. I wish I would have caught this noise before the warranty ran out.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone else has anything to add it would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM
oliveview

Originally Posted by samps
I think I may try to have the lid cluster replaced. If the cost is too high I might attempt it myself. I wish I would have caught this noise before the warranty ran out.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone else has anything to add it would be appreciated.

Is yours making the noise when you drive, most of the time? Or only when the cluster/column moves in and out of position?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
samps

Originally Posted by oliveview
Is yours making the noise when you drive, most of the time? Or only when the cluster/column moves in and out of position?
My cluster makes the noise at all times unless on a very smooth road. That's why I hate it so much. It doesn't make the noise when the steering column moves. If I press down in the circled area or even on the very top of the cluster, it will make the noise. On the way to work this morning I lifted up on the top of the cluster and the noise went away. It almost seems as though over the years the cluster lid has sagged, which is what's causing it. What I will do is try some felt or foam tape underneath first and see if it helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
oliveview

Originally Posted by samps
My cluster makes the noise at all times unless on a very smooth road. That's why I hate it so much. It doesn't make the noise when the steering column moves. If I press down in the circled area or even on the very top of the cluster, it will make the noise. On the way to work this morning I lifted up on the top of the cluster and the noise went away. It almost seems as though over the years the cluster lid has sagged, which is what's causing it. What I will do is try some felt or foam tape underneath first and see if it helps.

Thanks for clarifying, and sorry to hear that yours is annoying all the time. I guess my noise is related to (potentially) different issue. It may in fact be something with the gears or whatever motorized mechanism moves the cluster/column.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The noise is caused by the cluster cover making contact with the cluster assembly. i fixed it by applying friction tape between them. you can also use cloth tape as well. the area circled in red are the spots where the noises are coming from.
The following users liked this post:
breezethru (01-29-2015)
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
samps

^ Interesting...thanks for the info. I would have thought that Infiniti would have had the foresight to isolate these types of areas with foam.

I drove the 2010 coupe today and noticed that the lid cluster is very solid, whereas on our 2008 sedan (the one making the noise) is very loose.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
samps

Just to close the loop on this, before taking the lid cluster out I tried to wedge in some 3M foam tape (single sided) with the backing still on between the cluster and cluster lid along the bottom from the center to the areas shown circled in red in muyrec's photo and the noise is now gone.

The 3M foam I used is about 3/4" wide and maybe about 5mm thick. Now I don't need to blow this car up!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
lake985
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been experiencing the same squeaking since I purchased my car last May--it's been driving me crazy!! I can't wait to try the foam tape trick this weekend.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM
eurtsx

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. My 2010 sedan has been making these squeaks all the time (probably even worse now that I had it lowered on BC suspension) and it's driving me nuts. I'll try the same fix this weekend. Thanks guys!
breezethru (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 PM
breezethru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eurtsx
I'm glad I found this thread. My 2010 sedan has been making these squeaks all the time (probably even worse now that I had it lowered on BC suspension) and it's driving me nuts. I'll try the same fix this weekend. Thanks guys!

Thank you so much for bumping this thread! I have the same problem with my 08 sedan, I have been trying to find out what is was but had no luck. I can't wait to try this out and drive around!
eurtsx (01-30-2015)

Quick Reply: ? for those that have experienced the lid cluster squeak