Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

HELP: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Upgrade...Something isn't right!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
I need to find a level place that has at least 25ft distance so I can make the correct adjustments...thanks.

I'll see if I can find somewhere else to take some better pictures.
I think the way the camera captured the picture might have gave it a purple tint...the light output is definitely white.
Only the cut off has a bit of color...yellow, green & blue.

I think that my projector lenses might be part of the problem...can they cause the halo effect?
Well does your passenger side headlight also have this halo effect? Lenses can cause it but the easiest way to do it is to compare your passenger to driver's side and see if they are identical.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Well does your passenger side headlight also have this halo effect? Lenses can cause it but the easiest way to do it is to compare your passenger to driver's side and see if they are identical.
To me, they appear the same except that the driver's side has a bit more.
There seems to be a "dip" of light lacking right before the step...they are visible on both sides. The driver's side is more pronounced though.

Is this what you are referring to as "halo" effect?

This must be due to the projectors and not the bulbs themselves.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
does anybody have a clue what would be a part number for the plastic piece that the clip sort of goes underneath that part to make sure the bulb stays in place? I was replacing my OEM bulbs with CBIs tonight as well and on passenger side I was very unfortunate and in a matter of a second, I pulled the clip towards the middle instead of first pushing it down and then towards the middle and that plastic edge that the clip goes under broke off on one side in the passenger's side headlight
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
does anybody have a clue what would be a part number for the plastic piece that the clip sort of goes underneath that part to make sure the bulb stays in place? I was replacing my OEM bulbs with CBIs tonight as well and on passenger side I was very unfortunate and in a matter of a second, I pulled the clip towards the middle instead of first pushing it down and then towards the middle and that plastic edge that the clip goes under broke off on one side in the passenger's side headlight
There are maybe three ways to go about this:

1. There is no part number for this. You will have to buy the whole headlight assembly from other sources. (Second Easiest Option but expensive) With this option, you have to replace the whole headlight and it will be easier to replace the whole headlight than to go with option 3.

2. You can find the broken piece and glue it back on. Use very strong glue. You can also repair it with a makeshift hook. (Easiest most cost effective option)

3. You can buy the G37 projector from theretrofitsource.com (right now not available) or HIDPlanet forums where members are selling their projectors.
Members: For Sale The 3rd option is the hardest one because it requires you to take apart your headlight for this. You can also find this on ebay, or cragislist etc. This option is cheaper than the 1st option, but much more labor intensive.

Here is an example of a forum member selling the g37 projector. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...edan-projector

Personally, I'd go with option 2. The plastic piece isn't necessary for holding the bulb in place as long as one of them is intact. The bulb won't be as a tight fit, but it shouldn't be a huge problem. You may get more bulb bouncing when you hit a bump. Plus, you can always glue on a makeshift piece to hold the bulb in place.

From what I remember, Draigon had the same exact problem you had, and he mentioned that his shop cut a notch into the plastic and used that notch to attach the wire hook in.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 04-17-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Mik3G37S

There are maybe three ways to go about this:

1. There is no part number for this. You will have to buy the whole headlight assembly from other sources. (Second Easiest Option but expensive) With this option, you have to replace the whole headlight and it will be easier to replace the whole headlight than to go with option 3.

2. You can find the broken piece and glue it back on. Use very strong glue. You can also repair it with a makeshift hook. (Easiest most cost effective option)

3. You can buy the G37 projector from theretrofitsource.com (right now not available) or HIDPlanet forums where members are selling their projectors.
Members: For Sale The 3rd option is the hardest one because it requires you to take apart your headlight for this. You can also find this on ebay, or cragislist etc. This option is cheaper than the 1st option, but much more labor intensive.

Here is an example of a forum member selling the g37 projector. FS: Rx330 Afs/ GK shield/Clear lens. 1 G37 sedan projector.

Personally, I'd go with option 2. The plastic piece isn't necessary for holding the bulb in place as long as one of them is intact. The bulb won't be as a tight fit, but it shouldn't be a huge problem. You may get more bulb bouncing when you hit a bump. Plus, you can always glue on a makeshift piece to hold the bulb in place.

From what I remember, Draigon had the same exact problem you had, and he mentioned that his shop cut a notch into the plastic and used that notch to attach the wire hook in.
I see... well I'd like the cheapest option for sure... the ironic thing is that I read this thread before I started replacing the bulbs and a second of not being careful enough was all it took to break one of the tabs, had no clue it could break so easily ... My question is, is that plastic part of the projector that has the tabs replaceable without replacing the whole projector or the whole headlight assembly? thanks so much for the input ! e

EDIT: I found the clip, what kind of glue would you recommend on using so this piece could hold the retaining spring in place?

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 04-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:47 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
Below is an exploded view if that helps. Also here's a parts available page:
2013 Infiniti G37 Journey Headlamp Components
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Upgrade...Something isn't right!-headlamp.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by 13_SkylineSedan
Below is an exploded view if that helps. Also here's a parts available page:
2013 Infiniti G37 Journey Headlamp Components
I dont think neither of those have the part shown that I'm talking about... It is the part of the back of projector that has two tabs on right and left side of the bulb thanks to which the retaining spring holds the bulb in place...

here is a picture of the tabs circled in red and one of them broke off...
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Upgrade...Something isn't right!-img_20140319_152921_zps02a6da7a.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM
vuedoo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks bro! So the shop broke that piece? How does one even do that? Do you have the headlight taken apart? If not you will need to to install replacement part. I doubt infiniti sells it individually. Junk yard, perhaps. You may even want to consider purchasing new headlight all together. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I dont think neither of those have the part shown that I'm talking about... It is the part of the back of projector that has two tabs on right and left side of the bulb thanks to which the retaining spring holds the bulb in place...

here is a picture of the tabs circled in red and one of them broke off...
I'm not sure what type of glue, but you can check out home depot or something. If the tabs are plastic, maybe home depot has a solution for you. Like I said previously, if you don't want to repair, you can always replace the projector. I've seen them go for $50 on the hidplanet forums.

If you want to get a brand new headlight, OEM will cost about $800 but you can find aftermarket much cheaper or get another from a junkyard for cheap.

As for your previous question, I believe the whole thing is part of the projector. I've never seen or heard anything that would make the plastic around it replaceable. Infiniti dealer's solution would be to replace the whole headlight and there is no part number for just the projector, let alone that plastic piece.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...G37-Projectors
Here's a link for a G37 projector for $94 shipped. You can also do a lens upgrade while you're replacing the projector, making your light output much wider and sharper.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 04-18-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:18 PM
MiPwnYew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
JB Weld could be your friend if you still have the broken piece
Old 04-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Mik3G37S

I'm not sure what type of glue, but you can check out home depot or something. If the tabs are plastic, maybe home depot has a solution for you. Like I said previously, if you don't want to repair, you can always replace the projector. I've seen them go for $50 on the hidplanet forums.

If you want to get a brand new headlight, OEM will cost about $800 but you can find aftermarket much cheaper or get another from a junkyard for cheap.

As for your previous question, I believe the whole thing is part of the projector. I've never seen or heard anything that would make the plastic around it replaceable. Infiniti dealer's solution would be to replace the whole headlight and there is no part number for just the projector, let alone that plastic piece.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...G37-Projectors
Here's a link for a G37 projector for $94 shipped. You can also do a lens upgrade while you're replacing the projector, making your light output much wider and sharper.
Well I rather repair and glue the piece back where it's supposed to be rather them dish out 800 bucks for a new headlight because of such minor issue... and swapping out the projector could be a good way to do so and to get the clear lens swapped in as well but that's not something I think I can do myself to disassemble the headlight and replace the projector and then do clear lens on both headlights, although I was planning on getting clear lens but that has to be done all together at once with painting the headlights. For now I guess it will do as is but I definitely want that tab back in place. .. I'll see what strong glues are available and I'll also check junk yards out of curiosity.

thanks a lot for the input guys.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by MiPwnYew
JB Weld could be your friend if you still have the broken piece
Yes I do, I lucikly found it the next day in the spot where I was replacing the bulbs