Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

HELP: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Upgrade...Something isn't right!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
^^ I agree ... D2s bulbs are all the same try a different place or DIY
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Problem Solved!

UPDATE:

Went for a second opinion and came out with better results!
Took a visit to Royal Wheels & Tire in Arlington, MA and had John install the Osram's.

What he found out was that when JT Motoring installed the bulbs, the installer broke off a piece of the plastic tab that holds the wire clip...which keeps the bulb in place.
This was the cause of the issue...the bulb was not aligned correctly and was sitting loose.
Also, when John went to remove the stock OEM Hoito bulb...it wasn't even clipped in!

John managed to clip the bulb in and reassured me that it was fine and shouldn't have anymore issues.

Now everything seems to be good!

I just need to allow the Osrams to burn-in to their brightest point and I'll be happy...still a bit yellow right now.

Here are some pics:
Not sure why the output looks so yellow against the wall, but it is definitely whiter in person.

Name:  DSC_2777_zpsc68138f6.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  DSC_2781_zps62cf1638.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  DSC_2782_zps635cb158.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  DSC_2783_zpsd2cffa32.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  DSC_2784_zps64066566.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  26.9 KB
Old 01-20-2013, 12:54 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Talking

I would like to thanks everyone for all the helpful advice!

THANK YOU!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 AM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Dragion, I think I saw your car drive by me on Friday night. It was right in front of the police station on HP Ave in traffic a little before 6pm. Im assuming you were leaving JT? Anyway I just want to comment on your lights. All I can say is WOW. I just kept thinking about how nice your lights look. They were diamond white and had a tint of blue to them but not exactly 6000K. In my G I always get positive stares at my 3000k fogs, but I was drooling over your lights. If they werent so dam expensive I would invest in a pair. But $200 for just bulbs seems like highway robbery lol. Good job, and your lights definitely complement the already upscale but sporty appearance your car has. Too bad JT didnt stand behind something they installed on your car. Word of mouth means a lot, and next time I go there, I'll make sure I give them a hard time about doing half-@ssed installs. I thought they left the BS behind when they changed names from T3 to JT, but it seems not. Anyway I think you should try to post better pics once they fully break in, because in person your lights are way more brilliant than any of those pics can accurately illustrate. Im trying to justify the price seeing I can get 4 complete HID kits (8 ballasts, 8 bulbs, and wiring, zip ties, etc.. made in china) for the price of 2 Osram bulbs. But you get what you pay for, and the end result from what I saw.. it's worth it.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SlimTV
Hey Dragion, I think I saw your car drive by me on Friday night. It was right in front of the police station on HP Ave in traffic a little before 6pm. Im assuming you were leaving JT? Anyway I just want to comment on your lights. All I can say is WOW. I just kept thinking about how nice your lights look. They were diamond white and had a tint of blue to them but not exactly 6000K. In my G I always get positive stares at my 3000k fogs, but I was drooling over your lights. If they werent so dam expensive I would invest in a pair. But $200 for just bulbs seems like highway robbery lol. Good job, and your lights definitely complement the already upscale but sporty appearance your car has. Too bad JT didnt stand behind something they installed on your car. Word of mouth means a lot, and next time I go there, I'll make sure I give them a hard time about doing half-@ssed installs. I thought they left the BS behind when they changed names from T3 to JT, but it seems not. Anyway I think you should try to post better pics once they fully break in, because in person your lights are way more brilliant than any of those pics can accurately illustrate. Im trying to justify the price seeing I can get 4 complete HID kits (8 ballasts, 8 bulbs, and wiring, zip ties, etc.. made in china) for the price of 2 Osram bulbs. But you get what you pay for, and the end result from what I saw.. it's worth it.
Thanks Slim for the compliment!

I'm not sure if you are talking about my HID fogs, but it was the headlight bulbs that JT installed. When you saw me, the stock Hoito bulbs were installed...not the Osrams.
The Osrams Xenarc CBI 5000k are much brighter and produce a pure white output...they are still on the yellow side until the salts are burned in.

If your interested, I can hook you up with a set of HID's for the fogs that are like mine...sure didn't get them from JT!

I would highly recommend to avoid JT and if possible, go to Royal Wheel & Tire instead.
Quality products & quality work...no BS!
I've wasted too much time & $$$$ @ BBH/RPM/T3/JT/(?) already.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Awesome that you found the culprit, I'd definitely get back to the first shop and let them know it WAS their fault. Just don't let them touch your car again
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
For some reason the cut off looks a bit off to me still. Did you try to adjust the height when you thought it was the projectors/bulb problem? That's a shame a actual shop couldn't install a pair of bulbs correctly. If you haven't you should upgrade to tsx clear lens for maximum clear cut off.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
For some reason the cut off looks a bit off to me still. Did you try to adjust the height when you thought it was the projectors/bulb problem? That's a shame a actual shop couldn't install a pair of bulbs correctly. If you haven't you should upgrade to tsx clear lens for maximum clear cut off.
Unless the projectors' lens size has changed, the Sedans use the 3" lens, I used the STi-R lens from TRS, the TSX is for the 2.5" coupe projectors, at least it was. BTW, love the STi-Rs, great cutoff, crisp light output and a crystal clear, much better looking lens.
(3") STi-R - Clear Lenses from The Retrofit Source Inc
Here's another thread about the STi-Rs
Anyone do the STi-R lens swap? - G35Driver
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Unless the projectors' lens size has changed, the Sedans use the 3" lens, I used the STi-R lens from TRS, the TSX is for the 2.5" coupe projectors, at least it was. BTW, love the STi-Rs, great cutoff, crisp light output and a crystal clear, much better looking lens.
blnewt, did you modify the shield to get a sharper cutoff when you swapped the lens. And did you use the stock spacer or the one TRS provided.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by awais
blnewt, did you modify the shield to get a sharper cutoff when you swapped the lens. And did you use the stock spacer or the one TRS provided.
Used the oem cardboard spacer and didn't snip the shield, it might make a small difference but I'm happy w/ the results, very sharp cutoff
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Do you know if the coupe and sedan uses different size lens? I know that the coupe uses a 2.5" lens. Not sure if the sedan uses a bigger size.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Awesome that you found the culprit, I'd definitely get back to the first shop and let them know it WAS their fault. Just don't let them touch your car again
There is no question about going back...not even with a 10 foot wrench!
I know they will deny that they are at fault...just their way naturally.
I'm going to mention it though and see what they have to say...most likely they will say it was already broken or that I already broke it before they "tried" the install!
The fact is that they were the only ones to access the HID headlights...except for the Infiniti factory.

Brian @ JT Motors adjusted the passenger's side...he said it was way too low.
Now both side are even when light is projected from 3 ft against a wall.
Was thinking of adjusting the driver's side higher, but not sure if I should.

I compared mine with my friend who also has a 2013 G37x sedan and his cut off is exactly like mine with stock bulbs.
I think it is the headlights, they are that way.

To change out the projector lens isn't in the picture...leasing.
If I plan to keep the G afterwards then I'll consider retrofitting.

I had an FX before the G and the cut off was way sharper...is there anything I can do to improve it without opening the headlight?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OSRAM rules...every single penny is worth it!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

I doubt it since I believe some of the FX have clear lens on them from factory. They are just overall better projectors. Not sure why they did that. From factory the driver side should be lower than the passenger side.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by marcelo19lp
OSRAM rules...every single penny is worth it!

I doubt it since I believe some of the FX have clear lens on them from factory. They are just overall better projectors. Not sure why they did that. From factory the driver side should be lower than the passenger side.
I guess I'm stuck with the inferior lens.
What is strange is that it was the exact opposite from factory...the driver's side was "higher" than the passenger's side.
That is why Brian adjusted the passenger's side higher, but now I'm being told that the driver's side is too low...I'm confused!

I've also mentioned this issue on HIDPlanet and members there are saying the same thing that the driver's side is off.
I think that due to the broken clip, the light isn't exactly aligned correctly within the bowl of the lens, so it is causing this issue.

I feel that as long as they are doing the job they are designed for, I'm not going to cry over it...even if they aren't perfect.

All I can say is that I'm quite happy regarding the Osram CBI bulbs...they are a huge improvement over stock as far as brightness and looks!
Can't wait until they are fully burned in.

If there is anything that can be done to correct this issue without opening the headlight then please advise me.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Upgrade...Something isn't right!