Rear Sway Bar Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by rhdh104
Most of this is about sedans.... can I install S coupe rear sways on my G37x Coupe... Will it also help.... or do the lift as discussed above..?
Yes you can. All G37 models (sedan, coupe, RWD, AWD, sport, nonsport) are interchangeable in the rear. There is a widespread controversy about which bar is the most stiff. The consensus though, is that the AWD bar is pathetic and the RWD bars, both sport and nonsport, are much more substantial. Any difference between the RWD sport and nonsport bar, if one even exists, is minute. Also, note that the AWD bar in the front is significantly larger than the RWD, sport or not.

I just installed a RWD nonsport sedan bar in my AWD coupe and it is a very noticeable upgrade. Right after I put it in, I went for a ride. My GF was very confused as to why I was installing a slightly larger bar, but she immediately looked over from the passenger seat and said "Wow, the car feels a lot different when you turn." She definitely noticed the car was "tighter" and so did I. I have no idea why Infiniti put these puny bars in the rear of the AWD's, it makes the handling very sloppy.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
I have no idea why Infiniti put these puny bars in the rear of the AWD's, it makes the handling very sloppy.
I suspect it was a trade-off for AWD grip on rain & snow with regard to body roll. Like most cars in its class, AWD is a feature made available according to the following manufacturer priorities:
  1. Marketing
  2. Marketing
  3. Marketing
  4. Safety
  5. Performance

For AWD to be a significant performance consideration, you have to step up to something like a GTR, or sideways into the Subby STI.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Rochester
I suspect it was a trade-off for AWD grip on rain & snow with regard to body roll. Like most cars in its class, AWD is a feature made available according to the following manufacturer priorities:
  1. Marketing
  2. Marketing
  3. Marketing
  4. Safety
  5. Performance

For AWD to be a significant performance consideration, you have to step up to something like a GTR, or sideways into the Subby STI.
I would argue the Infiniti AWD system is less about AWD performance, and more about having RWD feel, in addition to confidence using the car as a daily driver in areas that experience winter. That's the beauty of it operating at 100% RWD unless needed.

I do agree marketing played a big factor into why Infiniti developed the system, but not so much as to why people buy the system. Every other manufacturer has an AWD option, so it would be foolish to not make it an offering. Also, I don't think many would argue that a RWD car is less of a handful to drive than its AWD counterpart (all else being equal - tires, etc.). This substantiates that there is some value behind the marketing.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well that was well-written.

We're coming to grudgingly similar conclusions, but from a predisposition to opposite opinions on the topic. How would you respond, say, if I said that an overwhelming percentage of passenger cars are manufactured with AWD primarily as a profit scam, wholly invented by the automotive industry... and that 99% of the time, good snow tires is all you need? Of course, with exception to off-roading your entry-level luxury sedan.

DOMO gotta dance
Old 10-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Well that was well-written. <<< Thank You!

We're coming to grudgingly similar conclusions, but from a predisposition to opposite opinions on the topic. How would you respond, say, if I said that an overwhelming percentage of passenger cars are manufactured with AWD primarily as a profit scam, wholly invented by the automotive industry... and that 99% of the time, good snow tires is all you need? Of course, with exception to off-roading your entry-level luxury sedan.

DOMO gotta dance
I would agree to an extent, but would not go as far as saying "scam". The automotive industry created a solution to a "problem" that can be viewed as excessive. Although functionality will better, to some degree, in the AWD car; there isn't anything inherently dangerous with a RWD car equipped with snow tires. Of course, auto manufacturers will take their share for you adopting their "solution".

I see this as being very similar to the widespread adoption of automatic transmissions. Automatic transmissions don't necessarily solve a "problem", yet they are offered by every manufacturer, generally as a "buy up" option. A car with a manual transmission is certainly functional, but it is much more difficult to text, eat, and drive at the same time .

We may not have identical viewpoints, but I feel like we are in the same ballpark.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ryne
I would agree to an extent, but would not go as far as saying "scam". The automotive industry created a solution to a "problem" that can be viewed as excessive. Although functionality will better, to some degree, in the AWD car; there isn't anything inherently dangerous with a RWD car equipped with snow tires. Of course, auto manufacturers will take their share for you adopting their "solution".

I see this as being very similar to the widespread adoption of automatic transmissions. Automatic transmissions don't necessarily solve a "problem", yet they are offered by every manufacturer, generally as a "buy up" option. A car with a manual transmission is certainly functional, but it is much more difficult to text, eat, and drive at the same time .

We may not have identical viewpoints, but I feel like we are in the same ballpark.
Damn. Well layed out argument, Ryne.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Damn. Well layed out argument, Ryne.
Thanks! You brought up some good points and topics that really made me think. I always enjoy a good productive discussion.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

To your original point... why didn't Infiniti put the same sways in the AWD that they do in the RWD? I suspect their "intelligent AWD" system is calibrated for the non-sport suspension only. And the non-Sport Journey gets the Sport Sways because there would be too much roll in the suspension otherwise due to the softer struts.

Of course, I'm pulling all this out of my dookie, because Not An Engineer. Thing I don't understand is why they couldn't simply reconfigure the software that manages the AWD system, so that the xS were truly a sport-tuned setup?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:40 AM
b-drizzy
Registered Member

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
So can these bars go onto the journey sedan ? lol

and make a difference too ?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:34 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm having trouble tracking down front end links for the AWD sedan...so my hopes of installing (F+R) Hotchkis is slowly fading. I can't really afford to have an end link go out on me, so I'd be installing upgraded end links when I put in the sways.

It seems this may be my compromise installation. I assume the OEM rear end links play nice with this sway bar right? It's the same end link on the RWD as the AWD in the rear isn't it?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
I'm having trouble tracking down front end links for the AWD sedan...so my hopes of installing (F+R) Hotchkis is slowly fading. I can't really afford to have an end link go out on me, so I'd be installing upgraded end links when I put in the sways.

It seems this may be my compromise installation. I assume the OEM rear end links play nice with this sway bar right? It's the same end link on the RWD as the AWD in the rear isn't it?
It's my understanding that it's the drop that puts stress on end-links, not aftermarket sways.

Also, OEM end-links are very inexpensive.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-28-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
It's my understanding that it's the drop that puts stress on end-links, not aftermarket sways.

Also, OEM end-links are very inexpensive.
I've read it both ways. If I've read misinformation, then that's good. I don't plan to drop, and if I do, it will be after intake, exhaust, and hfc.

Also, in doing some reading, I think I've read that the drop changes the angle of the end links and puts extra stress on then. Adjustable links can relieve this stress.
I've also read that stiffer sway bars also put extra stress on the links...is this stress negligible compared to the stress of a drop?

The cost of the end links isn't my concern, my goal is to prevent anything in my suspension from breaking. I'd rather spend more money on the peace of mind than to save it by replacing oem end links only when needed.

But if there's really no concern, then I may just move forward.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
My front links were fine until I was deep dropped on springs and snapped one during the install of my coilovers. Hard to determine if the link was weakened due to the deeper drop or the binding that occured when I was removing the strut and link. Haven't had any issues w/ the links since then, I assume because I'm a 1/2" higher now
Old 01-28-2015, 04:31 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
I've also read that stiffer sway bars also put extra stress on the links...is this stress negligible compared to the stress of a drop?

The cost of the end links isn't my concern, my goal is to prevent anything in my suspension from breaking. I'd rather spend more money on the peace of mind than to save it by replacing oem end links only when needed.
I replied to your other thread but will put it here as well:
When you change the suspension height of the car the preload of the swaybar is affected. The main point of adjustable endlinks is to remove any preload off of the swaybars. It is also why the adjustable endlinks should be installed/adjusted on a rack with all of the weight of the car on the suspension.

If your ride height has not changed from stock then use the OEM endlink.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 AM
conquistador
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Hey John, might be interested in your S sways if you go Hotchkiss. Keep me in mind if you want to unload yours.
I'd bet good money that you're going to upgrade sways before I do, but I won't forget your request, Newt, in case it's the other way around.
362 shipped

Hotchkis Sport Sway Bar Set INFINITI G37

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar Upgrade