Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
I don't think they changed the VQ37VHR in any significant way - they would have announced something if there was any improvement there.

That's really the main thing that sucks about it - you get the same fuel consumption as a 3-litre forced-induction 6-cyl engine (or worse if you compare to the BMW N55), but without the awesome low-end torque. The VQ also runs less smoothly than the N55 or the Audi 3.0 TFSI. It's impressive for an NA engine without direct injection, but technology has moved on!
THANK YOU! All the hype for what? Details? NO engine improvements at all.

smh - to say I was disappointed about that would be an understatement.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Track Star

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Although i do like the interior, its not really wowwing me .... its just another bigger, bulkier, less responsive recreation of the G that wont be coming with a manual gearbox = even less ideal for occasional track days = no thanks from me
Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
No engine improvements with the 3.7... But the hybrid 3.5L will be very nice. More hp/tq and definitely better mpg.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Track Star
Although i do like the interior, its not really wowwing me .... its just another bigger, bulkier, less responsive recreation of the G that wont be coming with a manual gearbox = even less ideal for occasional track days = no thanks from me
Less responsive? So you've test driven a production model. Oh do tell us how it went!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
No engine improvements with the 3.7... But the hybrid 3.5L will be very nice. More hp/tq and definitely better mpg.
The hybrid is a soccer moms car or something I would think about getting my wife if I had one. That's my opinion, but I mean when I think hybrid I think Prius, Jetta, Buick Lacrosse and Camry.

Eff a hybrid for me, but maybe for others they will like it. I would get the 3.7 liter non hybrid.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 AM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
The hybrid will add about 275 lbs to the weight of the car. Who knows how it will drive - we'll have to wait and see. It will add significantly to the price of the car as well - probably pushing it well into BMW/Audi prices.

Another (more minor) disadvantage of the hybrid is that it eats up a bunch of trunk space.

Last edited by visualguy; 01-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
IMO, a NA 3.7 has plenty of power for a daily driver. Most people that commute in freeway traffic won't often have a need for more. And for those that commute on the street ... trust me ... you won't be in boost everytime you leave a green light.

But the really nice thing about having boost is that it will always be there when you want it.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 AM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't really see much of a resemblence between the two except the flat front, but remember this . . . .

was an offspring of this . . .

Which was inspired by this.

And let's just clear some things up for people with a short term memory. This . . .

was not inspired by this . . .

it was inspired by this . . .

which was also the inspiration for this . . .

AND this . . .

and I know I'm in the minority but I still believe this . . .

propelled Infiniti in the design direction that ultimately became this . . .

and even though Lexus copyrighted this . . .

It was actually taken from this . . .

and while im brushing shoulders with our Japanese counterpart . . .

this would not have became this . . .

without a little inspiration from the success of this . . .

because before that it was only this . . .

and the only thing people actually remembered about that car was this:

My point?

This . . .

and this . . .

not to mention this:

and even this . . .

got its influence from this . . .

and this . . . .

Name:  Screenshotfrom2013-01-14233317_zps961e6246-1_zpsbaf957fe.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  44.1 KB

has got to inspire a lot of this . . .

Last edited by Black Betty; 01-15-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: fixed a photo
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps it was already addressed, but what is that (looks like LED strip) above the fog light? And I assume that since it has run-flats that there is no spare and thus more trunk room (especially important for the hybrid) and less weight?

Last edited by Nick3753; 01-15-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
@gt_porformah THANK YOU for that break down!!! It is driving me INSANE to keep hearing people say the Q50's grill is a rip off of The Lexus spindle. Have people REALLY forgotten that this grill debuted on the Essence, which came out BEFORE the GS Concept? Like really, never mind the fact that the refreshed FX with the new Infiniti grill went on sale before the new GS. But Infiniti copied Lexus? And then Lexus had the gall to trademark the design! If Infiniti did indeed copy them, they would have taken action against Infiniti long time ago, but they know the deal.

And same goes for the Sonata interior comparison. It was clear that Hyundai jacked Infiniti's double wave dash from jump! From the double wave, to the Nav button/Nav Screen/Vent Layout. I say bravo to Infiniti for standing behind THEIR original designs. I instantly see a resemblance to the FX inside mote than anything.

Overall, I am pretty stoked about this car! Looks DAMN good, and it seems Infiniti is planning to keep it interesting and keep the ball rolling with updates to it in the powertrain department. I am anxious to see the performance figures of the Hybrid. Especially the AWD Hybrid! If this powertrain can move the much heavier M to 60 in 5.1 seconds, it def can get the G in the high 4's and thats with RWD. The AWD G always got to 60 quicker, so maybe even mid-4's CRAZY! And I'm going to guess it will be rated at 30 MPG Combined! Crazy. I never thought I'd say this... but give me the Hybrid!

Also, as far as the 3.7 carryover... that may have been a cost cutting measure to mitigate the strong yen, which was sure to cause an increase in price had they developed a new engine out the gate. It should cost Nissan almost NOTHING at this point to produce any VQ engine, which is why I am sure they kept it in the Altima also. At the end of the day, its all about the business side of things.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 AM
Ontario G37S

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
At first I was meh as I watched the introduction video this morning, but looking further into the day with pics it has grown on me. I love the interior as I'm a techie freak. The exterior is starting to look better as I see more pics and would love to see it in person. I think one strike against it is the tailights. I dont think they will grow on me as I love the G37 style.

One thing I did notice that got the techie in me excited was-

Distinctive LED head lamps and lighting (headlights, fog lights and marker lights), LED rear combination lamps

LED headlights? No more HID's? Interesting......or are they just talking about the accent lighting.

I'm also interested in seeing what the new steering system is like. Can't judge it until you try it.

I for one have no issue with the 3.7L. I didn't buy it to sip fuel. I'm quite happy with the NA engine and gives me the pep when I need it. If I wanted more, I would just go with a pony car. Instead I would prefer a dual clutch auto before a new engine (I'm too old/lazy for a real manual).

I look forward to seeing what the coupe will look like and what goodies it will have in store.

For now, I will continue to love my G37S coupe as the style hasn't worn off me yet. Plus I love those tailights Next to my Camaro from years back, I actually miss driving it when it parked for a few days at a time.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read that yesterday.

Sounds like FULL LED's, LED Headlights, LED Fogs, LED Markers, LED Rear Tail. I wonder if the turn signals front/rear will be LED. Doesn't make sense that they would go though all that trouble to fully LED the car, then leave those standard bulbs.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Great looking car..... but it bothers me that the drivetrain is a carry over. The 3.7L is a great engine, but competitors are putting out similar smaller displacement FI engines which have similar performance but increases in fuel economy. When I buy a new car, I want it to be new. I want new drivetrains and new technology. Essentially, this car is cosmetically new and that does nothing to make me want to trade in my 2009 and pick up a new one. I probably wont consider one unless the hybrid comes as an AWD model.

And it bothers me that crappy sub 20k cars can design a car which has a better stance and even fender gap from front to rear, but still Infiniti and Lexus design their cars looking like the front is trying to do a pop up wheelie.

Im not riding a BMW bike anymore and wheelies are no longer cool.

......... and I know springs will fix the cosmetic issues, I just think the stance should come from the factory correct. Other cheaper car makers are doing it, get on the bus Infiniti.

Overall, it looks nice and will take some sales from the 3-series, C Class and A4, especially if it can still start in the 30s and significantly undercut the price of its competitors.

It wont win any head to head competitions, but it will give you great value and be a solid performer.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
I read that yesterday.

Sounds like FULL LED's, LED Headlights, LED Fogs, LED Markers, LED Rear Tail. I wonder if the turn signals front/rear will be LED. Doesn't make sense that they would go though all that trouble to fully LED the car, then leave those standard bulbs.
Wrong.

Projecter Low Beam is still HID, not LED.

Everything is entirely LED, except for the Bi-Xenon Projector, it is still an HID-powered D2S bulb
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick3753
Perhaps it was already addressed, but what is that (looks like LED strip) above the fog light? And I assume that since it has run-flats that there is no spare and thus more trunk room (especially important for the hybrid) and less weight?
I would asume runflats are standard on the hybrid. But then that would mean that standard is 19 which only comes on the sport. According to the Press release.

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan