Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Installed LED Fog lights/DRLs in bumper

Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Installed LED Fog lights/DRLs in bumper

Just put these in today, simple install and they are lightweight & run cool so I was able to mount them to the bumper. Only tools needed are a 3.5" hole saw and a 3" rubber pipe sleeve w/ included clamps. I looked all over for fog lights that would work as DRLs and these seemed to fit the bill. The Infiniti FX 35 lights I found seemed to have a similar bumper angle and the diameter would be perfect in the grill mesh. Luckily they did fit like I had hoped, here's the best source I found for these lights, quick free shipping to, got them in 4 days
2003-2006 Infiniti FX35 LED Fog Light Chrome
I haven't wired them yet (just wired across the battery to show pics of them lit up), if anyone out there knows the easiest wire to splice into and the best place to come through the firewall I'd appreciate it. The lights come w/ relay, fuse and a dual LED switch, so I just want to hook up to a hot lead that only comes on when the engine is running, nothing hooked to a light switch etc.
I'll get a DIY thread when I get them hard wired in a week or two.

The lights are 6000k so they emit a slight blue tint, perfect for DRLs and probably intense enough for light fog, not sure how well they'll cut through the heavy stuff, but we rarely have fog, lol.

I'm really satisfied w/ the results, the overall fit, look, and light output exceeded my expectations. Hope you like them~

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Looks like you did a good job making it clean. But are you intended to use these as fogs? How bright are they, they look like they could blind all sorts of people.

For some odd reason I tend to like the bottom fogs faced further away from each other to where they're further than the head lights. I find it weird when fogs are positioned in between the headlights (not even sure if you could understand this).
Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 AM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I must say the fogs look good. Almost stock if anything. Install looks clean. Congrats!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Looks like you did a good job making it clean. But are you intended to use these as fogs? How bright are they, they look like they could blind all sorts of people.

For some odd reason I tend to like the bottom fogs faced further away from each other to where they're further than the head lights. I find it weird when fogs are positioned in between the headlights (not even sure if you could understand this).
I understand what you're saying, the bumper starts out flatter and really curves toward the outsides, no way would I be able to match the fogs angled flange when the bumper curves that much. There are also obstacles such as the washer fluid tank when you get further out, at least on this model G. The lights are intense from a close proximity but don't have the penetration of the HIDs or Halogens so it might blind the guy taking close pictures but that's about it
Originally Posted by InfiniteSmoke
I must say the fogs look good. Almost stock if anything. Install looks clean. Congrats!
Thank you sir, appreciate the kind words
Originally Posted by AnnLindel
Looks like you did a good job making it clean
Thanks a lot
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
You did it! And look how comfortable you are removing that front bumper. Pretty impressive work, Newt.

From these pictures, I like it. As for position of the fogs, look at this picture here:

Look at how the inside line of the headlight assembly draws the eye down over the bumper, to where the fog light is aligned just on the outside of that line.

Whether intentional or otherwise, it's a very good look. Well done, Newt.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow nicely done. Can't wait for the DIY. Is there a way to remove the lower grill without having to completely remove the bumper (don't have a garage so would like to mount the lights first then taking the entire bumper off for final assembly . I have an 09 Sedan). Looking to do something like this http://m.g35driver.com/forums/showth...=247092&page=5
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
it does look good newt, did you want to hook them up as DRL's? seems several people have used these ebay modules with success:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Daytime-...sories&vxp=mtr

Last edited by BLamb; 08-20-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Here are some links. Hopefully it helps, its beyond my level so hope when you write up the DIY, its dummy edition.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting/238639-what-is-the-simplest-way-to-control-fog-lights-separate.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications/230543-2011-non-sport-fogs-on-2008-2010-sport-bumper.html
Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Mike45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
turned out good and very clean nice job
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Rickblkg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome man, I wish I had the talent to try this!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
You did it! And look how comfortable you are removing that front bumper. Pretty impressive work, Newt.

From these pictures, I like it. As for position of the fogs, look at this picture here:

Look at how the inside line of the headlight assembly draws the eye down over the bumper, to where the fog light is aligned just on the outside of that line.

Whether intentional or otherwise, it's a very good look. Well done, Newt.
Thanks John, I'm very happy w/ the look and although the exact mounting point wasn't done for focal points it did turn out that way
It was the furthest out I could go without losing the mounting angle but still able to fit the light in the mesh.

Originally Posted by sneakers
Wow nicely done. Can't wait for the DIY. Is there a way to remove the lower grill without having to completely remove the bumper (don't have a garage so would like to mount the lights first then taking the entire bumper off for final assembly . I have an 09 Sedan). Looking to do something like this Teaser Project - True 3K HID Fog Kit - Page 5 - G35Driver
Thanks for the compliments! Actually you leave the bumper on and align your holesaw to get a true drill axis (keeping the drill level and using a staight edge to follow the light beam). Once you get the holes drilled then you pull the bumper & snug the lights up & re-install. Takes a couple hours start to finish~removing & re-installing the bumper is the biggest time consumer. This is assuming you also have the 07-09 journey bumper, any other bumper setup may result in other obstacles that I'm unaware of and you'd need to pull the bumper & make sure everything will clear.
Originally Posted by sneakers
Here are some links. Hopefully it helps, its beyond my level so hope when you write up the DIY, its dummy edition.
What is the simplest way to control fog lights separate? - MyG37

2011 Non Sport Fogs on 2008-2010 Sport Bumper - MyG37
thanks for the links, I'll check them out tonight
Originally Posted by Mike45
turned out good and very clean nice job
appreciate the kind words Mike
Originally Posted by Rickblkg
Looks awesome man, I wish I had the talent to try this!
Thanks a bunch Rick, this was a simple DIY, you DO have the skills
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's awesome
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
looks really good. better than all those add on LED strips out there.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Brandisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks clean! Need a DIY for this
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt

Thanks for the compliments! Actually you leave the bumper on and align your holesaw to get a true drill axis (keeping the drill level and using a staight edge to follow the light beam). Once you get the holes drilled then you pull the bumper & snug the lights up & re-install. Takes a couple hours start to finish~removing & re-installing the bumper is the biggest time consumer. This is assuming you also have the 07-09 journey bumper, any other bumper setup may result in other obstacles that I'm unaware of and you'd need to pull the bumper & make sure everything will clear.
I have 09xs. Gonna bite my lips and hold off my questions till you write your DIY.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed LED Fog lights/DRLs in bumper