Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Y-Pipe, Test Pipes, or HFC's ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
I know you just got the exhaust but in the future if you really want that nice and sexy sound get the ARK exhaust. Just the cat back is good enough.
I agree. I have the ARK and it sounds great.

Originally Posted by LOLURMAD
Yes the ARK sounds fantastic, my cousin has it on his sedan. But it's a bit too loud/obnoxious, and drones like crazy on the highway. The Tanabe is much more civilized and mature, it really opens up only when you're at WOT.
I disagree. Actually....I wish my ARK was a little louder. "Drones like crazy on the highway"???? I have zero drone. Can't even tell its there cruising at highway speeds. Around town is a different story.....you can definitely hear the exhaust note. But, for me, no drone there either.

Before I bought the ARK, I actually bought and installed the Tanabe for my sedan. I just wanted some sound without going the whole 9 yards by getting a full catback, HFC's, mid/Y-pipes, Tune.....etc.

The Tanabe was so quiet I couldn't believe it. I was disgusted. It was very nice quality and looked GREAT.......but it was s-i-l-e-n-t. I will go as far to say that the STOCK exhaust has more sound, seriously.

So after a couple weeks with the Tanabe....I couldn't take the painful silence and ordered a Megan Y-pipe and some HFC's......which is what I was trying to avoid doing all along.

Two days later, when UPS showed up with the HFC and Y-pipe, I told him to just send them back......changed my mind, didn't want them. Then I yanked off the Tanabe and sold it. Then I bought the ARK and I am happy with it. I just wish I had done more homework so I could have avoided all the shipping costs, restock fees, and the hit I took when I sold the practically brand new Tanabe.

Even by adding a Y-pipe to the Tanabe won't do much "sound wise" in my opinion. The only way to get some sound out of those muffling champion Tanabe's would be to pair them up with a good old set of NON-resonated HFC's. I think the Tanabe's would wipe out any drone/rasp from the HFC and would sound pretty good

Last edited by PENROSE; 07-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 PM
LOLURMAD

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have no idea how you hear no difference between stock and Tanabe, and even go as far as saying it's quieter than stock...

Here is how it sounds stock:

and Here is with Tanabe:
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 AM
PENROSE

I have no idea how you hear no difference between stock and Tanabe, and even go as far as saying it's quieter than stock...

Video clips.....Shmideo clips.....(a TANABE video to boot)

I HAD the Tanabe. And it is QUIET AS HELL. Slightly different sound from stock....... But not more volume.

You even said yourself....in the first post in this thread....that there "ISN'T MUCH CHANGE IN SOUND"

Did you NOT say that?????

And in another, completely different, but related thread, you said that there is "Little to NO change in sound at idle or revving"

......and now your trying to get a Y-pipe to make it sound better???

Good luck with that.......sorry you made the same mistake that I did.

You did say that it "opens up" at WOT.....but what exhaust doesn't? A moped exhaust will open up at WOT.

Who drives around all day at WOT??

The Tanabe ( for SEDAN) is terribly quiet. If you drive a G37 sedan, and are looking for a better sounding exhaust......then the Tanabe is THE LAST thing that you should consider buying.

Period.

You KNOW I am right.

That's why you started this thread dude.

Sell it and move on.

Last edited by PENROSE; 07-28-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 AM
K-G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this same problem with the Tanabe axle back thier just not that loud Im just guna sell it and go wit ARK exhaust...
Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 AM
venkatsharat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Tanabe for the sedan too.One thing I can swear is that it breaks in slowly.It is much better now(after 500 miles) .I like it very much.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 AM
PENROSE

Originally Posted by venkatsharat
I have the Tanabe for the sedan too.One thing I can swear is that it breaks in slowly.It is much better now(after 500 miles) .I like it very much.
I'm glad yours did. I put a little over 1,000 miles on my Tanabe. Still as quiet as the day I put it on.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Listening to those two videos... the OEM exhaust goes WOT around 16 sec, and the Tanabe does it at the 14 sec mark (close enough). Anyway, comparing them to each other a few times, I swear the OEM exhaust sounds better. (Even though it looks like poo with those cheap OEM tips.)

Go figure.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM
LOLURMAD

Lol I guess it's personal preference. I like the exhaust a lot, it's not too loud, but not too quiet either. If the Y-Pipe doesn't up the sound a tad more, I will end up selling it for an ARK or Invidia. But so far I am enjoying it.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:45 PM
venkatsharat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol I guess it's personal preference. I like the exhaust a lot, it's not too loud, but not too quiet either. If the Y-Pipe doesn't up the sound a tad more, I will end up selling it for an ARK or Invidia. But so far I am enjoying it.

Where did you get the Y pipe for the X sedan? is there a model number specifically for the X Sedan?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:59 PM
LOLURMAD

Originally Posted by venkatsharat
Where did you get the Y pipe for the X sedan? is there a model number specifically for the X Sedan?
This is the Y-pipe I ordered: STAINLESS SS RACING X/Y-PIPE EXHAUST 08-11 NISSAN 370Z Z34 INFINITI G37 VQ37VHR | eBay

I was told they will no matter if it's an X sedan or RWD.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:12 PM
1SMOKEYG

as with everything on this site and any other forum, it's all preference and perception. I've had my Tanabe on for over 15k miles and it's gradually broken in to a nice sound when on the gas (not WOT, as someone stated above, WOT brings sound out of just about any exhaust lol) and absolutely no hint of drone when off throttle. Tanabe was designed to perform but still retain luxury qualities....same goes for the entry level coils which i have as well...

but to answer the question OP, add the Y pipes and you will get a deeper bassier sound (sorry, the only way I can describe it). My buddy just put that on his 09 sedan and it got better, but he wanted more and added the test pipes and got a little raspy (but that is what he wanted, so he's happy). I will be doing the Y pipes soon...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:23 PM
LOLURMAD

Originally Posted by 1SMOKEYG
as with everything on this site and any other forum, it's all preference and perception. I've had my Tanabe on for over 15k miles and it's gradually broken in to a nice sound when on the gas (not WOT, as someone stated above, WOT brings sound out of just about any exhaust lol) and absolutely no hint of drone when off throttle. Tanabe was designed to perform but still retain luxury qualities....same goes for the entry level coils which i have as well...

but to answer the question OP, add the Y pipes and you will get a deeper bassier sound (sorry, the only way I can describe it). My buddy just put that on his 09 sedan and it got better, but he wanted more and added the test pipes and got a little raspy (but that is what he wanted, so he's happy). I will be doing the Y pipes soon...
Awesome, just a bit more bass is what I want. You think that Y-pipe I ordered will fit?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:53 PM
1SMOKEYG

I'm not so sure about the one you ordered... Almost seems like its for the coupe bc it says it fits the 370z.. Might not have the length for a sedan, but I could be wrong.. Not much of a description from the link you Posted... For my sedan, I'm going to either find a used tanabe y Pipe or just get it new (I have a friend that knows folks at tanabe so Im fortunate to get the wholesale price without the markup)
Old 07-28-2012, 06:13 PM
PENROSE

The only aftermarket Y-pipe that I know of that fits an AWD Sedan is the Megan Racing Y-pipe. There may be others. But that's the only one I know of. The Tanabe Y-pipe won't fit an AWD. And if I had to guess, the one that the OP bought off eBay probably won't fit either.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 PM
blackgp2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would remove your resonators and see how that sounds with the axelback

Quick Reply: Y-Pipe, Test Pipes, or HFC's ?