G37 Sedan

Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice pics J^^^^ Looks to be a great fit and hopefully the clamp issue will be easy to remedy. And yeah, mine w/ resonated test pipes is quite loud too, but you'll get used to it
Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by JonMS
pics
Old barn wood, slate, and this absolutely amazing stone wall, with a guard dog no less! It's like you live in a 17th century French Prison.

That is so cool.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:52 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice pics J^^^^ Looks to be a great fit and hopefully the clamp issue will be easy to remedy. And yeah, mine w/ resonated test pipes is quite loud too, but you'll get used to it
Did some trouble shooting with the help of Josh Lynch at Top Speed. Turns out one of the clamps is too big to tighten down the exhaust tip. The other one is on and working fine. I snapped a few pics, sent them to Josh and he immediately sends me a USPS tracking number with the new clamp heading my way that he's already tested in house on one of the other exhausts they have in stock. I must say their customer service has been excellent (helps that Josh is on Facebook and messaging me). With the one tip installed I have to say the car sounds exponentially better. I can't wait to get the other tip on.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 PM
JonMS

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Old barn wood, slate, and this absolutely amazing stone wall, with a guard dog no less! It's like you live in a 17th century French Prison.

That is so cool.
Haha thanks. House and barn are 300 years old and mostly original.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:57 PM
JonMS

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jfisher
Did some trouble shooting with the help of Josh Lynch at Top Speed. Turns out one of the clamps is too big to tighten down the exhaust tip. The other one is on and working fine. I snapped a few pics, sent them to Josh and he immediately sends me a USPS tracking number with the new clamp heading my way that he's already tested in house on one of the other exhausts they have in stock. I must say their customer service has been excellent (helps that Josh is on Facebook and messaging me). With the one tip installed I have to say the car sounds exponentially better. I can't wait to get the other tip on.
Have the same issue with one of my clamps. REALLY had to crank it down to minimize play I had with the tip. Still not 100% so maybe I'll message them as well or look at replacing them with something better. Anyone have any suggestions on better exhaust clamps?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Haha thanks. House and barn are 300 years old and mostly original.
You should take more pics of your car with your house in the background.

Your newbie thread doesn't do it justice.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:35 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Have the same issue with one of my clamps. REALLY had to crank it down to minimize play I had with the tip. Still not 100% so maybe I'll message them as well or look at replacing them with something better. Anyone have any suggestions on better exhaust clamps?
I went to all the local auto parts store and was able to find a temporary $4 clamp, but it's nowhere near as nice as the one that is on the car and working correctly. The ones included with the exhaust are nice when they're the right size I prefer them because they blend in with the exhaust so you can't see the tips are clamped on.

I must say the car sounds amazing with both tips on. Very exotic sounding. It is on the louder side with the resonated TP's, but there is no drone. For under $500 shipped I am very pleased.

Name:  Top%20Speed%205_zpsqkjjo9qv.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  350.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
SrtUltr (08-27-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice pic there, looks like they fit perfect! And yeah, they are a nice sounding setup.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:29 AM
jtn
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anybody has issues with it touching the sway-bar? I have no idea why, but my fitment is off. The mechanic tried to get it to fit. I guessing I'm having issues with the one shipment that I've got.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:41 PM
sicKzofivE
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jtn
Did anybody has issues with it touching the sway-bar? I have no idea why, but my fitment is off. The mechanic tried to get it to fit. I guessing I'm having issues with the one shipment that I've got.
Youre not the only one. I managed to get time and have mine installed yesterday and the right side is almost touching the sway bar, and the right side sits a little higher than the left. My shop had to put some washers to move the bracket under the mid pipe up so it doesnt touch.

Anothing thing i noticed and dont know if its just me being picky but anyone with the new batch notice the exhaust cans are kinda tilted on both sides and not straight or is that normal ?

Another issue im having is those clamps for the tips are garbage and dont secure the tips well. Drove around today and i had the tips lined up with the rear bumper and after a 30 min drive, when i got home my tips were an inch out from the bumper. Cant imagine if i had a 2 hr drive i woulda lost my tips.. plussss one of my resonators was dinged when i opened the box.

Im overall satisfied and the sound is amazing. Just gotta get the fitment adjusted and have Top speed remedy the clamp issue.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 PM
jtn
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sicKzofivE
Youre not the only one. I managed to get time and have mine installed yesterday and the right side is almost touching the sway bar, and the right side sits a little higher than the left. My shop had to put some washers to move the bracket under the mid pipe up so it doesnt touch.

Anothing thing i noticed and dont know if its just me being picky but anyone with the new batch notice the exhaust cans are kinda tilted on both sides and not straight or is that normal ?

Another issue im having is those clamps for the tips are garbage and dont secure the tips well. Drove around today and i had the tips lined up with the rear bumper and after a 30 min drive, when i got home my tips were an inch out from the bumper. Cant imagine if i had a 2 hr drive i woulda lost my tips.. plussss one of my resonators was dinged when i opened the box.

Im overall satisfied and the sound is amazing. Just gotta get the fitment adjusted and have Top speed remedy the clamp issue.
Yeah, my driver side muffler is tilted and the clamps weren't work for me. I hope all this could be fixed.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:09 PM
sicKzofivE
Registered Member

I actually went ahead and replaced my clamps with these that I picked up at Oreillys.

Here's a picture of the clamp that I installed and a link to them on their website if you're interested.

ROL Gaskets E25ST - Muffler Clamp | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Everything is nice and tight back there now, the way it should've been and on the plus side the clamp is not noticeable unless you look from below.
blnewt (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:19 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jtn
Yeah, my driver side muffler is tilted and the clamps weren't work for me. I hope all this could be fixed.
They'll send you new ones. I already got my replacement clamp and it tightens fine now.

If I had to guess most of you with fitment issues aren't having the exhaust installed loosely before tightening everything down. I have zero fitment issues. The mufflers are tilted but that's just the design of this system.
The following 2 users liked this post by jfisher:
sicKzofivE (08-29-2016), steveng37 (06-20-2019)
Old 08-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Fox331

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got mine put on over the weekend. I had an issue with the mid pipe sitting on the crossmember brace. I spaced it down with three washers. I also had an issue with the passenger side tail pipe and sitting right up against the lower control arm, did a little finagling and got that low enough that it wasn't touching. I didn't have an issue with the supplied clamps however, they're tightened all the way down but they seem to be securing the tips just fine. It does sound nice without being too loud.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM
sicKzofivE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jfisher
They'll send you new ones. I already got my replacement clamp and it tightens fine now.

If I had to guess most of you with fitment issues aren't having the exhaust installed loosely before tightening everything down. I have zero fitment issues. The mufflers are tilted but that's just the design of this system.
Ymmv, josh sent me a pic of how the clamp should be installed and i was less than impressed and could be seen at an angle. Didnt offer to replace the clamp though i didnt really care since i resolved the issue myself. Hmm Maybe i came off as an asshat ? Lol

Yes it was deff was tightened incorrectly, i actually loosened my mufflers and retightened according to the instructions this morning and they sit correctly now if you look at my pic. Im assuming my shop didnt listen to my instructions first time around.

As far as the tilt, i wasnt sure because from all the pics and videos i saw i swore they were straight. Josh confirmed its normal and said it coukd just be the picture/video angles making it look that way and i can rest the issue.

Thanks for double confirming the tilt was normal and input Fisher its much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?-20160829_152000.jpg  
jfisher (08-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?