G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying center console trim piece creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Read this thread last year...said I was going to do it and even bought some silicon spray, etc. This time I am really going to do it, promise!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:16 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
FINALLY did this. I have a 2010 automatic, so it is not exactly like that pictured. The seat heater rotary ***** come of with the shifter console, and you have to remove the very bottom trim piece under the HVAC controls to get the shifter console out. It just kind of rotates down and then out.

For me, the squeak was the console itself, not the joint between the shifter console and the main center console (although I went ahead and lubed that up anyway). For me, it was the plastic chrome strips the run along the sides of the shifter console. They are held on by about five screws each. I tightened each of them down (and went ahead and tightened all the screws on the bottom of the shifter console). Squeak was gone unless I pressed really hard on the sides, like maybe 30-40 pounds of force. Reassembled, pressed around and the squeak is 99% gone. Heard a teeny tiny creak or two, but not loud enough to be heard when the engine is running. Certainly nothing like it was before.

If the creak comes back, I am going to take the chrome pieces off and make a sort of gasket out of electrical tape then screw them back on. If that doesn't work, I will simply lube the joint between the chromed pieces and the console. Either way, its not that hard to do the disassembly, so even if it becomes a semi-yearly maintenance thing, it will not be all that bad.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I took my car into the dealer for this and a few other rattles late last year. I have zero noises now and I am lowered as well.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Guessed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone trying to remove the center console trim plate right beneath the HVAC controls, like on my 2011 G37 AT, so that it doesn't interfere with removing the shift plate in order to be able to work on eliminating the squeaks it creates, this video on YouTube shows how it's done:

At 0:32, you see the trim plate getting pulled off by the right side. I modified this step by first taping protective electrical tape both on the corner of the trim plate and on the side console corner adjacent to the trim plate, to prevent scuffing when I began prying. I then gently pried the trim plate out about half an inch on the right with a broad flat head screwdriver, then worked the other end out a bit by hand, going back and forth to ensure no damage to either the trim or plastic console.

I generously padded all contact surfaces with bits and strips of adhesive felt I cut out from a left over 8 1/2 by 11 sheet that came in a 5-pack from Walmart for about $5. I snapped everything back together in 5 minutes (total project time 45 minutes), and went for a ride over a section of cobble-stone in my community. Not a peep.

This was project 2 of 3 to reduce noise in the car. Project 1 was the external plastic shroud against the bottom of the windshield creating a squeaking/ticking/popping sound inside the cabin. This is where the first part of the adhesive felt was cut into strips and applied (project time 1 hr 30 minutes). The last project will be sealing the right-side rear passenger quarter window with some silicon sealant to eliminate some minor wind noise intrusion at highway speeds.

Like others, I was blaming the squeaks on cheap plastic, but the real issue is how the pieces come together: some spots just need more felt padding added between contact points. The plastic itself feels durable.

Last edited by Guessed; 10-20-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Found solution.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:28 PM
white3696

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just recently took my '13 G37 to the dealer for what sounded like a squeaking/scrunching noise(s) coming from the center console area,,,,turns out it was coming from the shifter portion of the console, so they told me the technician removed the console and added two velcro strips or similar,,sorry not exactly sure they placed them,,but that took care of that noise.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Natural1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add to this... I had the same issue when I bought my car (used not purchased from dealership). This was the one single thing that was bothering me about this car, and it was REALLY bothering me.
The dealership here (Infiniti of South Atlanta) has been great. They "fixed" it once with extra insulation in a few spots and it was better but still not perfect. So, on the next service I asked if they would take another look. They took it apart again and, according to the service record, "insulated all related parts". It's now solid as a rock. All covered under warranty.

I hope you guys all get this sorted. It stinks when your relatively expensive car feels "cheap". I truly love this car now.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:03 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Mine started squeaking recently. On the highway it's not so bad, but in the city, drives me nuts.

Through some diagnosis appears to be coming from the center console arm rest (6mt sedan), and only when the weight on it shifts (that is from the arm not resting on it to arm resting on it). Will examine further on a somewhat warmer day (it's almost in the single digits here now). I'd definitely classify it as a squeaking noise and not creaking. Sort of like a squeaky chair or hinge. Will try some of the suggestions posted above
Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
It finally warmed up enough to do a little work in the unheated garage.

Turns out the noise was coming from the J hook that secures the armrest to the center console in the closed position. There is a bit of play with it in the down position and apparently the noise is from rubbing of the hook against the part it engages in the console.

For the time being I used a small piece of paper as an insulator between the two. Will probably try to use some felt or something else as a long term solution.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Silicone spray is your friend. Hitting all you latches and hinges will kill squeaks for good while.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:19 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
Silicone spray is your friend. Hitting all you latches and hinges will kill squeaks for good while.
I will definitely give this a shot. Thanks!