Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help... telescoping wheel doesn't extend far enough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
RedRedSuit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help... telescoping wheel doesn't extend far enough?

I just bought a 2011 Infiniti G37 sedan, the non-sport-crazy-seat version. It's an automatic.

While I love the car, there is one problem I came to realize it has (for me) that is driving me somewhat crazy. Unfortunately it was not obvious when test-driving the car.

I'm not that tall -- 5'11" or so. However in order to comfortably operate the gas and brake pedals, I have to move the power seat back quite a bit. This isn't a problem, but what IS a problem is that the telescoping steering wheel doesn't telescope that far back. Now, I can reach and operate it fine; however it's not the comfort level I'm used to, because in the past (2000 Mustang) the steering wheel was always close enough to where I could operate it with one right hand, which was simply resting on my lap complete relaxed (so my hand would be at the bottom of the wheel). However in this position I have to extend my arm to steer and can't just let it relax like I'm used to.

I've tried many different positions, including sitting closer to the steering wheel, but then the pedal situation is uncomfortable. I've also tried to sit close to the wheel but high up... but the pedal situation is still unpleasant.

So now I have 2 choices, basically. One, get used to steering this way. Seems most people do it. This might not be too bad, but it's quite annoying to me right now. Two, somehow bring the steering wheel closer to me.

Now, I don't need much. It's really just a few inches, maybe 2 or 3. Maybe 4 at the very most. Is this doable? Is it doable at my dealer without breaking the warranty (it's a new car)? All I really need is a spacer where the wheel meets the telescoping mechanism.

Another option would be to attach something to the steering wheel itself, but that just sounds awful. I would do it if it solved the problem though.

The closest to complete relaxed comfort I've found is: seat 100% far back, medium hight, front angles all the way up, back pretty straight, wheel as far out and low as it will go, and keeping the car straight with two index fingers (and actually gripping the wheel at 10/2 when really turning). It's not bad... but surely I can both be relaxed and not steer with my fingers?

Ideas?

(Or maybe my telescoping is defective? That would be nice. It can bring itself really deep in to the point where it's completely useless for anyone, but as for zooming out to my comfortable position... no.)

I've looked around a lot, and it seems like no one else is complaining. It makes me wonder if I'm crazy.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
You're crazy. LOL

It's doubtful your steering column is defective, but you can verify it with the dealer. What the dealer cannot do is modify the column with a spacer.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM
1BadAssG

Haha I thought I was the only one when I had bought my car new last year. I had a 2004 accord and as your mustang it also had the steering at you lap where you could comfortably but on my G, I had to get used to it. Now its not a problem. Give it few weeks and you'll adapt to it.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 PM
RedRedSuit

OK, at least there is a kindred spirit.

The painful thing is that it's not really the steering's fault per se. It's that the leg room is relatively short. If the pedals were a bit further... problem solved. I actually gave myself a leg injury for a couple of days (thankfully it healed)... not kidding.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
10 and 2
Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 AM
RedRedSuit

Originally Posted by trcb777
10 and 2
It hurts, dammit!

Methinks I need to hit the gym. Do some triceps exercises.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
mikejg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Putting your hands at the proper position on the steering wheel hurts???

I rock 3 and 9 for two hands and about 1 o'clock for one handed.

Hopefully you've never had to (or will never have to) make evasive maneuvers with your arm resting on your lap and your 1 hand at 6 o'clock b/c some jackhole out there doesn't know how to drive. That could end badly for you.

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its probably like anything new. It takes time to figure out the best setup and make adjustments. Good thing it has memory seats.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM
RX Law

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Knee rest

Originally Posted by RedRedSuit
It hurts, dammit!

Methinks I need to hit the gym. Do some triceps exercises.

^^ +1 haha exactly.. I'm same height. Holding the wheel is no problem you lazy bastard. For long drives, i set the cruise control and bend my right leg up so that knee is elevated and I rest my arm on knee.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm also 5'11" and I know what you mean. When I bought my 35x 4years ago it felt a little awkward but I just moved the seat a couple inches ahead and got used to it. It felt 'normal' in no time at all. Now that I'm in the 37S 6MT I have moved the seat a little further ahead .
Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 PM
RedRedSuit

Originally Posted by mikejg
Putting your hands at the proper position on the steering wheel hurts???
Well, my arms just get tired. I mean it's just a matter of being used to doing X for the last 11 years and now X no longer working. It's 2nd nature. I certainly use both hands at 2/10 for real turns and stuff.

That said I seem to be converging on something that works pretty well. I am adjusting the seat back forward in small steps.

This thread is like my support group.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 PM
colburs

please, everyone, drive at 10/2, 9/3, even 8/4. Two hands on the wheel is better for those of us around you.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit
Well, my arms just get tired. I mean it's just a matter of being used to doing X for the last 11 years and now X no longer working. It's 2nd nature. I certainly use both hands at 2/10 for real turns and stuff.
Your arms get tired from holding the streering wheel at 10 and 2?

Originally Posted by colburs
please, everyone, drive at 10/2, 9/3, even 8/4. Two hands on the wheel is better for those of us around you.
x1000

I'm 6'0" and unless you're some sort of oddly proportion freak I don't see how it could be difficult to hold the wheel properly while sitting properly.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM
RedRedSuit

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Your arms get tired from holding the streering wheel at 10 and 2?
Yes, because they are extended most of the way, and I haven't held the wheel like that 95% of the time for the last 11 years. If you do something everyday, even if it's something really simple, your muscles get trained to do it. If you don't, then they don't.

I'm 6'0" and unless you're some sort of oddly proportion freak I don't see how it could be difficult to hold the wheel properly while sitting properly.
All right, let's not get all judgmental over here....
Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 AM
zoop425

Im 5' 10" and i dont have an issue.. seat pretty far back and wheel all the way in (twards the dash) and all the way down

Quick Reply: Help... telescoping wheel doesn't extend far enough?